Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Mostly yes

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I rode my 6'8" Barry Snyder Wide Point Forward - yesterday ... chest to head high barrels. I just got it back from being repaired ... had snapped it in two. It is battle tested and has seen its share of good waves .... It still has life in it - i was reminded yesterday how well it goes barreling waves. It's versatile as far as fin setup - i ride it as a 2+1, single and twin. Yesterday - rode it as twin with the MR Twin fin set - goes well in all three setups. As an older surfer this board really helps make getting into/riding good waves fun.

20201019_165705.jpg

20201019_165732.jpg

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Mid size boards don't do anything better. If you want one to surf with longboards at SanO you are going to look stupid and it's not enough board. If you want one to surf micro waves, it's not going to catch waves much better than a short, fat, flat grovel board and it's not going to work near as well as the groveler. If you happen to be find yourself in thigh to overhead point break, it's not going to work better than a HPSB, but it will feel good. It goes through flat spots with speed, you can lay into turns and with all that rail, the leverage feels good. It's a different kind of surfing that is going to feel WAY better than it looks. And yes, you will probably get a few extra waves, but that's mainly because your HPSB is stupidly undersized for you. But it's not a longboard. It's not a groveler. It's not a HPSB. And it won't do anything better. They can just feel really good to surf. It is kind of nice to get a running start on a roll-in takeoff and rediscover the joys of fading into a bottom turn, but past that, most people will surf worse on one. I have three of them right now. :roflmao:

I walked into a glass shop last week, and the entire place had a green tinge that was the result of identically tinted CI mid size boards waiting for the sander. (who was quietly sitting in the corner shaking his head) I think COVID and midsize surfboards were the engine that got CI out of Burton's hands. (yes, I'm talking out of my ass here) So that's a good thing. What happens when everyone goes back to work is anybody's guess...

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Mid size boards don't do anything better. If you want one to surf with longboards at SanO you are going to look stupid and it's not enough board. If you want one to surf micro waves, it's not going to catch waves much better than a short, fat, flat grovel board and it's not going to work near as well as the groveler. If you happen to be find yourself in thigh to overhead point break, it's not going to work better than a HPSB, but it will feel good. It goes through flat spots with speed, you can lay into turns and with all that rail, the leverage feels good. It's a different kind of surfing that is going to feel WAY better than it looks. And yes, you will probably get a few extra waves, but that's mainly because your HPSB is stupidly undersized for you. But it's not a longboard. It's not a groveler. It's not a HPSB. And it won't do anything better. They can just feel really good to surf. It is kind of nice to get a running start on a roll-in takeoff and rediscover the joys of fading into a bottom turn, but past that, most people will surf worse on one. I have three of them right now. :roflmao:
IOW, a great beginner board for somebody transitioning from a Kookstorm to something slightly less kooky and what an expensive transition.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

I walked into a glass shop last week, and the entire place had a green tinge that was the result of identically tinted CI mid size boards waiting for the sander. (who was quietly sitting in the corner shaking his head) I think COVID and midsize surfboards were the engine that got CI out of Burton's hands. (yes, I'm talking out of my ass here) So that's a good thing. What happens when everyone goes back to work is anybody's guess...
come to papa... via craiglist when the wfh kooks become nwfh when they get fired for fkng around on theirvwavestorm instead of working and must sell their mid to pay rent

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Oh, one last thing. Wait until you paddle your 7'6" ML out in stomping 8 foot plus beach break. Yes, you can duck dive them. Kind of. And this is of course where people tell me they DD their 10 log. No you don't. You stick your head in the water and your ass in the air. It works OK in three foot waves. DD a ML in front of lip that is detonating a few feet in front of you is no fun. Sprint. Time it and haul ass. Better yet, go surf that thing someplace with a channel.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Oh, one last thing. Wait until you paddle your 7'6" ML out in stomping 8 foot plus beach break. Yes, you can duck dive them. Kind of. And this is of course where people tell me they DD their 10 log. No you don't. You stick your head in the water and your ass in the air. It works OK in three foot waves. DD a ML in front of lip that is detonating a few feet in front of you is no fun. Sprint. Time it and haul ass. Better yet, go surf that thing someplace with a channel.
LOL - that is how my 6'8" got snapped in half! This wave shot from a fair distance was one of the in-between set waves. To be fair - also buckled my 6'4" at the same spot - different swell.

IMG_20190930_050907_966.jpg

IMG_20190911_131700_959.jpg

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Ok guys, here is your ride review...

I guess this purchase cursed this weekend's surf because what looked like a couple of days of solid OH barrels in the forecast turned into a Fri - Sun of perfectly fit mid-length conditions.

This ride report is based on waist to HH+ waves of everything from soft walls to moderate push and the occasional barrel. Nothing too extreme in either direction, either full slop or heaving conditions. For the conditions I just described, including the crowds, the CI Mid was definitely a good fit.

As I mentioned earlier, the thing I first noticed about the board is how thin the rails were. That makes for a board that isn't under-volumed by any stretch of the imagination but also one that I would not call a paddle machine. It paddles similarly to my 7'0 Seaside and Beyond which is to say it gets the job done but ultimately is a high-performance mid-length (let's not debate if that's an oxymoron) and thus definitely is not a longboard killer. All in all, the board has pretty good glide and duck dives surprisingly well which is always a benefit at OB.

You all also probably saw from the photos that the board is quite flat. That makes for solid, but not extraordinary, wave catching abilities. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to get in the way too bad on steeper drops but I never really got a chance to push too hard on this front. The only time that presents a challenge is when you don't have the opportunity to take off in the right direction and have to course correct in the flats.

Naturally, the board has plenty of down the line speed, and once up and running having to generate additional speed usually wasn't a concern, but when necessary, was fairly easily accomplished with a few highline pumps. All in all, I'd call the board a down-the-line rocket with impressive glide over flat sections. Perhaps the thing mid-lengths do better than anything else in their arsenal.

I found myself frequently trying to sluff off speed which can be accomplished with some soulful fades, soft off-the-tops, or a hand stall for a quick coverup. When you really need to burn speed you can lay into a full rotation roundhouse and bounce off the whitewater. You can surf the board with an easy-going, cruisy style or get aggressive with it and it doesn't get fazed. The thin rails keep the board nice and sensitive but don't become overly critical when you make a mistake or get lazy. I supposed these are all the elements that make mid-lengths fun, easy-going boards to surf with enough performance to satisfy the discerning surfer.

Basically, the board performs the way you'd expect, and want, a performance mid-length to behave. A fun, dynamic ride for a variety of surf and a solid alternative for when the crowd is up but the waves are not, or aren't at their best. I haven't ridden a CI in some time but you can tell they put in the work to deliver a solid, predictable performer that more than gets the job done. Cruisy enough for the softer waves but still hangs in there when the waves push overhead or there is some real push.

A couple of other callouts. The 2+1 was a solid choice for a fin setup and probably a frequently overlooked performer. I'm using the CI Mid 2+1 fin setup with the 4" side bites. I've had a few varial boards, some I loved and some I was lukewarm on, but I definitely like the foam for this style board and grovel boards, though not so much for everyday HPSBs. In this setting, however, Varial is light, snappy, and buttery smooth.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Where did the wild shreds go?
Hopping up and down in blown-out 40 degree water is not shredding.

Get a snowboard.

EDIT: Just teasing. You wouldn't even get me out of the car in those temperatures. And if you did, with all that rubber on I'd probably be incapable of movement. Shred it up ice boy.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
thats a nice looking boar. matching shoes and cuffs not so much. but you do live in sf... right? so it prolly okay with the locs
The cuffs say Tuscaloosa, the kicks say Van Nuys, the board says County Line.

Stocked the overflow zones have kind of had some sandbar improvement help this fall around here, otherwise...jkb is a boss. Me, the crowd tells me what I ride and where.

Laziness is a factor.

so is choice, and a big part of it is what is hip and happening.

far more likely to get your dick wet (around here) if you have a mid-length channel twin as opposed to a bog standard HPSB.

culture and fashion are powerful motivators.
Hold on a second, females in Australia actually give two shits about the board someone is holding as opposed to whether or not they want to sexytime the piece of meat holding the board?

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
kool-aid - thanks for the review, good stuff! Out of curiosity how does it compare to the SS&B? I believe you have the same length in both.

cheers!

Reactions: kool-aid

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
kool-aid - thanks for the review, good stuff! Out of curiosity how does it compare to the SS&B? I believe you have the same length in both.

cheers!
Excellent question brohan. In all honestly, I'd say they're pretty similar in that you generally ride them in similar ways and they have the same upside/downside. I guess when I think about it there are some nuanced differences.

I'd probably give the SS&B the edge in down the line speed and wave catching ability. That gives the SS&B a decent edge in grovel conditions. It's got a bit more hold on the rail with all that fin over there. Because of that, I'd say you can surf it more aggressively down the line and higher up on the face. Also, no need to nurse it off the bottom when those fins are engaged. When it comes to bigger surf, I'd say the board is much better in a down the line pointbreak (think Steamer Lane) type scenario.

I'd give the CI Mid the edge in predictability and ease of surf. It definitely does full roundhouse cutbacks better. The SS&B hates going all the way around and gets stuck once you reach your backside. Speaking of backside, I find the CI Mid easier to surf on my backside than the SS&B which has a tendency to get really locked in, but results may differ when you're not surfing a beach break like OB. While I feel like you do need to nurse it off the bottom a bit (could be a fin placement issue) in OH surf, I'd still probably opt for the Mid in OH OB.

Hope that helps. The differences are pretty nuanced. In all honestly, I really like both of these boards and if you're trying to decide between the two I'd say you a tough decision ahead of you.

Reactions: JTS and Aruka

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.

great assessment.