East Coast Flatness

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
You don't strike me as much of a sitter, but I could see getting chilly during lulls. I went to Mayport in the morning and the Pier in the afternoon. I surfed far enough down the beach at Mayport I was alone; it looked biizzzzzy up towards the Poles. Pier had enough waves coming through to keep fed.

I think this movement kept me good in the shortsleeve top. For me, 68 water with air in the lower 50s. You put on a spring suit, you'll be cold-soft if we have an actual February. You sport the heavy top, the instant your ballsack touches water....
Yea I threw out all my old ratty wetsuits including a 2mm long sleeve full because we just bought a house off Mayport and they got purged before the move. So all I have right now is a 1.5 mill top and a brand new Xcel 3/2 that I'm trying not to put on until I absolutely have to for the reason you mention. I surfed the second walkout down from the poles and the crowd cleared around 10:30 or so. It was mostly my hands and feet getting cold. Just gotta acclimate a little since it seemingly went from 76ish to barely 70 real quick but I think it was mostly that the wind was whipping pretty hard by then.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
You don't strike me as much of a sitter, but I could see getting chilly during lulls. I went to Mayport in the morning and the Pier in the afternoon. I surfed far enough down the beach at Mayport I was alone; it looked biizzzzzy up towards the Poles. Pier had enough waves coming through to keep fed.

I think this movement kept me good in the shortsleeve top. For me, 68 water with air in the lower 50s. You put on a spring suit, you'll be cold-soft if we have an actual February. You sport the heavy top, the instant your ballsack touches water....
Pretty consistent fall for Fl.?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Hey I surfed my second day here. Thats yuge. My parents moved here 12 years ago and I’ve surfed like 6 times in all those visits. Waves all week, and I don’t mind the wind. It’s warm

Reactions: ~rwright~

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah I was getting eaten alive in the parking lot at the inlet. No bugs at the condo though. Second floor, no swamp nearby, and onshore winds

Reactions: ~rwright~ and gbg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Yeah I was getting eaten alive in the parking lot at the inlet. No bugs at the condo though. Second floor, no swamp nearby, and onshore winds
Chula Juana is fly and skeeter free.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
Oddly France can get flatter than flat on a high tide with minimal swell. I mean, it can go from nothing but lapping on the shore to fun, head-high in a few hours once the bars get exposed. But the absolute flattest I've ever seen an open ocean, consistently is southern North Carolina down to Myrtle Beach. My experience with NJ is that anyplace with a jetty will have something rideable in any given 2/3 day period.

• Wow

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Oddly France can get flatter than flat on a high tide with minimal swell. I mean, it can go from nothing but lapping on the shore to fun, head-high in a few hours once the bars get exposed. But the absolute flattest I've ever seen an open ocean, consistently is southern North Carolina down to Myrtle Beach. My experience with NJ is that anyplace with a jetty will have something rideable in any given 2/3 day period.
Not this fall, not mention our months long winter flat spells.

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
Fun again today. Surf actually bumped up a bit in size and it was fairly clean. Much warmer air temps too. Felt fine in trunks and a top but lots of guys in full suits. I get cold easily but really it was totally comfortable.

Random report pic (not me):