Any Other Martial Artists Out There?

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I was spazzing pretty hard the first few months, given the potential consequences of a mistake I'm glad they weren't on the menu at that stage
If everyone's fully aware of how to attack/defend the ashi garami, you're less likely to spazz in the wrong direction and heel hook yourself.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
My feeling with Judo and BJJ is that they change the rules to favor who they want to win. BJJ allowed knee reaping and leg locks before the russians with their crazy sambo leg lock game came along post cold war.
Knee reaping is only banned in IBJJF tournaments because Brazilians gonna Brazilian.

Ive competed in countless tournaments with all subs legal.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I do like the 10p JJ system. They teach leg locks day 1.

But seems catch wrestling is better imo.

At the end of the day it’s about control and position.
Im lucky enough to train at a gym where any grappling that works is fair game. We train stuff taken from judo, sambo, wrestling, catch, BJJ...

Reactions: bluemarlin04

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I heard the reason was that the nerve impulse takes much longer to travel from the leg to the brain than from the arm to the brain so its much easier to get injured with heel hooks and leg locks. This is why the don't teach them to white belts. The last thing you want is to hear a loud pop from your kid's knee while he's training. The risk of training always has to be balanced against the reward. I think there is some truth to what you're saying though.
With the knee there is no pain until damage is done. Same with shoulder. Nerve impulses travel fast enough to where the time going to the legs is virtually identical to going to you face.

The fear with with heal hooks is that the injury is more debilitating to your normal life. I can (and have) work with a broken elbow but I’d be fairly useless with a blown knee.

The other problem with heal hooks is that they are the only sub where the person applying never has complete control of the outcome. The guy getting submitted can turn wrong when the sun is locked up and blow his own knee out. That is typically why newcomers are discouraged from training them. New people are spazzy.

We a leg lock exclusive class every Sunday that this old man has been doing for three years.

We’ve had only one injured knee in that class.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
OK, OK, I will fess up. I wouldn't really consider myself a martial artist at all as it has been way too long but I did practice Yoshukai Karate for about 12 years under Gerry Blanck (keep it surfing related; the FL Gulf coasters here know him). Earned my black belt under the oversight of Yuki Koda (RIP), basically got the sh!t beaten out of me for a few hours but I did persevere through it like the proverbial weed. Funny anecdote was that I had to spar against Jesse Borja (among others), who played the Japanese chef in Dumb & Dumber. Super nice guy but also quite intimidating when he wanted to be and he sure did not take it easy on me; got battered. :roflmao:

Practiced for a few more years after that but life kind of intervened so had to stop a bit before testing for 2nd degree; also whatever kata it was that I had to master (I looked it up; it was Mugen) was a true exercise in flailage. I am not a fighter by any stretch, don't start them, and I avoid them like the plague because like others said, way too much bad sh!t can happen. Although the one drunk fucker at a party that bit me on the arm not once but twice did deserve the front kick under the chin to lay his ass out. But all a long time ago.

Not sure how it all rates these days compared to every other form of martial arts but full contact sparring multiple times a week was good for channeling any aggression I had and I was very limber with a pretty strong core in those days as a result which was great for surfing and snowboarding both then and in future days. All in all, it was good for me and that's what counts. Every time I think of myself doing martial arts of any kind right now, I can only picture Dustin Hoffman in Meet the Fockers.

And I don't know WTH to make of Cheryl Wheeler getting shot over her kids college fund. Way too much weirdness with that.

Last edited: