Superbrand Fling

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Couple used PU Flings in almost new condition kicking around here right now for a good price. One's 5'8" 33cL which is about what I ride in my DD SB (except 5'11"-6'0"), although been creeping up to 34cL these days. Other is 5'10" 36cL. I've had small wave groveler designs that seem to surf over volume, but would typically ride a liter or two over my DD volume. Any thoughts? How is this board slightly over foamed? Haven't felt the 5'10", but wondering if its going to be to chunky? This will be strictly a groveler or for a super slopey long lined up wave in the WH to HH range.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Couple used PU Flings in almost new condition kicking around here right now for a good price. One's 5'8" 33cL which is about what I ride in my DD SB (except 5'11"-6'0"), although been creeping up to 34cL these days. Other is 5'10" 36cL. I've had small wave groveler designs that seem to surf over volume, but would typically ride a liter or two over my DD volume. Any thoughts? How is this board slightly over foamed? Haven't felt the 5'10", but wondering if its going to be to chunky? This will be strictly a groveler or for a super slopey long lined up wave in the WH to HH range.
I over-volumed my (32.5 vs my typical 28ish) Superflex Fling, based on what Brett Barley was riding for slop, but I wish I had kept it closer to my typical volume range. There's a little too much disconnect to make quick weight adjustments during turns/maneuvers with the added foam. There's so much surface area, the added glide/planing speed is kind of built in and it's really easy to generate speed on.

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
I over-volumed my (32.5 vs my typical 28ish) Superflex Fling, based on what Brett Barley was riding for slop, but I wish I had kept it closer to my typical volume range. There's a little too much disconnect to make quick weight adjustments during turns/maneuvers with the added foam. There's so much surface area, the added glide/planing speed is kind of built in and it's really easy to generate speed on.
that's how i feel about these type of shapes, they work good in the same volume range as shortboards, maybe 1,5 liters up but that's it, otherwise they get tracky and hung up a lot

surfride1977

OTF status
Nov 20, 2005
It seems like the consensus opinion here is don't go too high volume..

Personally, my experience with my over-sized Fling has been amazing. Granted, this is the only Fling I've ever ridden, so there's that..

I'm 5'11, 190 and my magic number is 34 liters for an HPSB. I bought my Fling secondhand, thinking it's no great loss if I didn't like it. The board is 5'10 and 38 liters. I love it until things start getting above the shoulder high range on a reasonably powerful wave, then it does feel like I'd prefer an HSPB. At high tide or on slopey waves, it feels great up to head high or so.

Long story short, I don't think either board would be a bad choice..

Reactions: SeaFoamGreen

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Good inputs! Honestly for the waves I have in mind, our typical mush, with 2 turns if your lucky and maybe a rampy inside section the 5'10" 36cL would probably be fine. Think I'm gonna go for 5'8" 33cL thou. It's the X Super reps board and 4 hundy and mint, with 5 boxes, those tail patch thingy's, and a rear pad where as the other is $450 3 boxes and no pad. Could end up being more of a DD and will prob have no issues selling it come Spring if I have to. Thanks for the 411! :cheers:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Story time. Went to go out this morning and my friend asked me if I wanted to try his Fling since he knew I was looking at buying one. Of course I said yes. I'm 6'2 and 215 and the Fling was a 5'7 x 20 5/8 x 2 9/16 32.5L. I was worried it would be way to small. My grovel board is a 5'10 x 21 x 2 5/8 37L.

Took the board out and holy sh!t the thing is amazing. The board paddled about the same as my 5'10. Didn't struggle with it at all. Took a long peeling wave and was blown away. The board is incredibly fast and felt sooooo good to surf. It was like my keel fish and performance shortboard spit out a mixed baby. Definitely going to sell a few boards and make room for a Fling.

Crazy thing is it was so addicting I didn't feel like I was missing anything on the waves. The waves were good enough that I'd usually surf my Fever. But the Fling just plain works.

I definitely agree that you don't need to oversize it. I didn't struggle at all on the 5'7. A 6 ft one would be enormous.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
My buddy is 6'2 and 230 and rides the 5'8 as a groveler.
For anyone else wondering about Fling sizing. I'm almost the same size as Racer1's friend.

I'm 6'2 and 215 and just surfed a 5'7 Fling. It felt perfect for me. It paddled fine and glided into waves. Anything bigger would feel huge. It is hard to explain just how wide the tail is until you see one in person.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Long live the Fling. Told my buddy I want to buy it. He said $280 with the Large Super brand fins that came with the board. Said done deal.

Took the Fling out in clean chest high barrels just to see how it would do. Board flies and burns through sections like it's a fighter jet with after burners. It'll hold a rail and do whatever else you want it to do. So much fun. Believe the hype. I'm worried my other boards may never come off the rack :ROFLMAO: .

Just how big of a wave can the Fling handle? I intend to find out this winter.

Reactions: sdsrfr

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Sold my 5'6 a couple months ago and was going to order a smaller custom, but Koons never got back to me. Ran into an old buddy today in the water, he knows I liked my Fling, told me he has a 5'4 Superflex that he doesn't use. Gonna pick it up. It's not what I would have ordered and it sounds a little small at 5'4 x 20" x 2.5" x 29.7 liters, but we'll see.

I rode my 5'6 at well overhead Kirra (rip was so strong) and it went mental.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Long live the Fling. Told my buddy I want to buy it. He said $280 with the Large Super brand fins that came with the board. Said done deal.

Took the Fling out in clean chest high barrels just to see how it would do. Board flies and burns through sections like it's a fighter jet with after burners. It'll hold a rail and do whatever else you want it to do. So much fun. Believe the hype. I'm worried my other boards may never come off the rack :ROFLMAO: .

Just how big of a wave can the Fling handle? I intend to find out this winter.
Well, I surfed mine in this swell, though, totally not recommended ... but it was a tonne of hilarious fun. The waves were a touch smaller where I was about 40 mins drive down the road. The swell went through both my performance baords I had at the time and had nothing else, so the fling had to do.

Reactions: Muscles and Tomay

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Going to order another Fling. Would like one just a tad bigger than the 5'7. Probably going to order the stock 5'9. Anyways, what is the opinion on Superflex? Worth the extra cost? I've tried all the alternative builds and keep coming back to PU. But, I've never tried the superflex and it seems that people like it.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Superflex is up there for me. Nice flex, lots of pop and very durable.

You want to split shipping on an order? We can get free ship to Inglewood, then I have a air freight shipper from Inglewood to HNL for $50-125, depending on weight.

Also 5'9 is too big. It's gonna feel front heavy. Beef up the 5'7 or a 5'8.

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I'm still on the fence about ordering another one. The 5'7 works amazing so I'm not sure if I need two flings sitting around. I really should just ride this into the ground before I order a replacement.