Surf Coaching

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I can land about 1 in 30 now.

They are so memorable and addicting. Kinda like hitting that sandwedge into the hole. You can replay it vividly.

My advice:
- You HAVE to go into the flats (or at least launch it into the flats, the wave will catch up). It's scary but not as bad as you think.
- Straight airs are the easiest.
- You have to move your feet up on the board, like the pros do. Like you would for skating, get over the bolts.
- How I move my feet up is how you move on longboard if you don't know cross stepping. Bunny hop up as you're hitting the lip.
- Get your 8 pound head, and your momentum, over the rail and towards the flats.
- Show your board who's boss and stomp that landing. Don't bitch out after doing everything right and crumble on the landing.
great advice! ;)

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I feel ya. The pros make it look effortless. It’s so humbling if you missed that window in your teens-20’s to learn them. Even worse nowadays cause the groms on the inside are all flying around.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
My boards definitely don't do airs, it's not me.

My wife does horse riding competitions. It's totally normal to be coached on many of your rides. I think being exposed to that and seeing how it helps her avoid developing bad technique (of which I have many in surfing) has really opened me up to coaching. Surfing better is more fun, when I have sessions where I feel like I'm ripping I generally have more fun and remember those waves better than others, so why not do something to help make that happen more often?

I'll probably start by just getting a session or two filmed to destroy my ego first.

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
if you are limited on time and can do one of those 1 week intensive boat trips with a coach, i can see it as being useful, or an occasional refresh to get you thinking right if you live in a consistent place.

but for what it costs you could travel somewhere and stay longer, which probably helps the most,

I live in a surf starved place right now, and even though it affords me the opportunity to travel to better places than before, it really hurts not getting to surf as regularly.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Most people's surfing has at least one sort of glaring fundamental flaw. Bottom turn, non use of arms, non follow through during turns, etc. If you can learn your flaws and work to fix one specific item chances are you're going to see some improvement.

For instance, say you have a decent bottom turn need to work on speed generation. Learning to make more speed is going to really enhance your surfing. You're going to get more zing in your bottom turn and more opportunities on the wave will open up.

Reactions: Lohena
Aug 22, 2008
If you want to learn airs (something I know how to do but hardly every do as a fattish dad of 2...) I wld recommend 2 things: 1) be sure you know how to ollie a skateboard, 2) think alot about the idea of pulling your knees to your chest --> with those 2 things in place your dreams of flight can come true ha

Last edited:

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Yes and after if no surf I would grab my skate and drop into endless waves working on my Occy backside snaps:)
I was thinking the same thing, when ever I see someone lacking in the flow dept I think how much skateboarding could fix that. Getting high and summoning Curren/Occy/(air idol here) all the better. Those carveboards honestly taught me to improve by bending/compacting my knees and following my arm and fitting rail turns in the pocket (in my mind anyways). It's all about reps.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I was thinking the same thing, when ever I see someone lacking in the flow dept I think how much skateboarding could fix that. Getting high and summoning Curren/Occy/(air idol here) all the better. Those carveboards honestly taught me to improve by bending/compacting my knees and following my arm and fitting rail turns in the pocket (in my mind anyways). It's all about reps.
Any board works I prefer 80z deck with lose 169z and 69mm ATF but I also have Pure Juice "36 deck with trackors and Snake II works great:)

Reactions: chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Any board works I prefer 80z deck with lose 169z and 69mm ATF but I also have Pure Juice "36 deck with tractors and Snake II works great:)
Been riding a Kendall Snake reissue with 169 and 58mm Street Razors, basically exactly what I used to ride around 1990. I like loose trucks too but mostly skate at parks (after pretty much a 2 decade hiatus) and after eating it decided to get some pads and tighten my trucks! Soo fun! That Carver broke a while back, that thing was a blast!!! If no water time, no coach (or just dont want one) skating has got to be one of the best ways to stay tuned. That and Surfer design forum!

Reactions: rowjimmytour