Pyzel Ghost?

May 10, 2018
I'm 5'11 175lbs and ride the stock 6'1. I find that it works here in Bali from stomach high to double overhead. It's the most capable board that I've had here in Indo. It feels a little too big sometimes when I really go after a turn on a big open face. I'd like to try a stock 6'0.
I'm the same height and weight as you and have the 6'0 stock. It's the perfect size for me for up to double overhead.

Last edited:
Reactions: csarqui

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I have a ghost as a step up and when I was looking for something underneath it I was debating a shorter ghost with a wider different tail since I liked the board so much. The guys there were happy to make me a wider tail version but pointed me towards the Shadow a bit more so I ended up going that route and have been happy. Board has a much lower range and love it up to a little over headhigh. That being said, I've never had a board that knifes in and holds on rail like the ghost does on sketchy late takeoffs. If you end up going with a wider tail ghost, I'd be curious your thoughts on it.

Reactions: Maz and ehiunno

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I have a ghost as a step up and when I was looking for something underneath it I was debating a shorter ghost with a wider different tail since I liked the board so much. The guys there were happy to make me a wider tail version but pointed me towards the Shadow a bit more so I ended up going that route and have been happy. Board has a much lower range and love it up to a little over headhigh. That being said, I've never had a board that knifes in and holds on rail like the ghost does on sketchy late takeoffs. If you end up going with a wider tail ghost, I'd be curious your thoughts on it.
That is exactly what I've been debating: do I sacrifice some low end fizz for some Ghost special sauce in slightly juicier waves?

Thanks for your reply.

Reactions: trifish

ZeeHawk

OTF status
Apr 13, 2018
Big Asian Island
I am 6'3" 180 and I have a 6'5" and 6'3" Ghost. Both custom XTR's.

TBH I love the shorter one. The 6'5" was my first one and I liked it a lot but it definitely needs some full on juice to come alive and overall just feels more like a step up.

I'm about 10 lbs. heavier than when I got those Ghosts and I've been considering getting a new one with more volume for this winter. Was thinking 6'4" x 19 1/2 x 2 5/8 or even thicker.
Totally agree about length. I ride a 6'5", which is my height, and I like it a lot for winter time or when waves have power or are less than clean. The 6'5" is a great paddler during winter when wearing a hooded 5/4, gloves, boots, hood. I'd like to get another at the same height with a few liters less volume for summer typhoon surf. While the height is good it feels a little bulky.

BTW if it hasn't been posted, check Ocean Magic's Pyzel board builder: https://www.oceanmagic.co.uk/board-advisor?Pyzel

Reactions: noise and Maz
May 10, 2018
Totally agree about length. I ride a 6'5", which is my height, and I like it a lot for winter time or when waves have power or are less than clean. The 6'5" is a great paddler during winter when wearing a hooded 5/4, gloves, boots, hood. I'd like to get another at the same height with a few liters less volume for summer typhoon surf. While the height is good it feels a little bulky.

BTW if it hasn't been posted, check Ocean Magic's Pyzel board builder: https://www.oceanmagic.co.uk/board-advisor?Pyzel
Board builder is awesome. I am going to waste hours at work on that thing.

• Haha
Reactions: ZeeHawk

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Ordered two ghosts for this winter

6'1 x 19.125 x 2.68 Swallow Tail
6'6 x 19.25 x 2.81 Round pin.

The swallow tail ghosts look sick. Also ordered a back up shadow because I get team light glassing on them and I'm not sure it my dd will make it though another season.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
must be nice to surf in a place that requires a ghost quiver! I can't even justify one 6'1 or 6'2 for San Diego winters... Yet. LOL
If I thought I'd use it more than 2-3 days a year, I would. I currently jump from 5'10 quad or twin good-wave board to a 6'8 blackbird
so true. your really buying a travel board. thats the only reason it is on my list. for my every other yr ments trip. still makes it hard to justify.

Reactions: jkb

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I've almost pulled the trigger on a Phantom a few times to fill that small gap as a good wave board, but I'm not convinced- it seems like it's not as universally loved like the ghost

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
My Ghost is now 3 years old and copped an absolute hammering this winter in the best winter surf we've had for over a decade.

I''d love a swallow tail of the same dims (6'1" stock) but this one is still in close to mint nick.

I can't justify it.

Reactions: urchined and jkb

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
One question: has anyone made it work as a quad?

Mine felt horrible with 4 fins.....I was thinking maybe the fin boxes might have been slightly off.