Foil Session Logs

Mar 22, 2020
I feel like the 900 axis is faster than the 760. But the 900 does not roll rail to rail instantly the way I want it to. So it feels like you’re just going straight or just pumping in flat water. I would either need to learn how to do really good breach turns. Or they could just make me a smaller 900. I asked for a 700 already. They said it’s coming next year.

I don’t want a wingspan over 30 inches if it can be helped. Ie: the kujira or cloud9 f28 fit the bill. Can I borrow $1700 from anyone? Thanks.

What’s your opinion on the signature carbon mast frenchfoiler? The main selling point of axis is a super stiff mast. Now you’re back to a carbon mast. Do you miss axis?
The Sig carbon mast is stiff, not as stiff as the Axis alu but I have no problem with that.

I have big hopes for Axis, hopfully those new wings will be available soon.

Mar 20, 2019
I found the sig mast way too flexy with the 210. Though I've heard there is some variability between different masts. I currently have an axis doodad being modified to fit the signature wings so I can use it with my axis masts.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I found the sig mast way too flexy with the 210. Though I've heard there is some variability between different masts. I currently have an axis doodad being modified to fit the signature wings so I can use it with my axis masts.
I want to go the other way! Can I fit my Sig/UNI mast to the Axis fuse?

Mar 22, 2020
I found flexy the mast at first, then a friend of mine (a mad scientist, a kite foil builder) told me to shim the tail to have more drive. This is what I did and it feels more stable now. But I'm on the 165 which is a small wing.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
After mostly swearing off the 900, I rode it today since it was super high tide and soft. I got a triple that was 4 seconds shy of 2 minutes on foil. I'm gonna count it. 2 MINUTES ON FOIL! :) I'd pull the clip off the surfline cam but it's just me going straight for the most part.

Edit: Here's from the other day on my 760. Trying to imitate Kane's f/s hits in the white water (and failing, but getting an idea of how to do it) and then trying to do an air. (See previous parentheses) I'm gonna get it.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020
After mostly swearing off the 900, I rode it today since it was super high tide and soft. I got a triple that was 4 seconds shy of 2 minutes on foil. I'm gonna count it. 2 MINUTES ON FOIL! :) I'd pull the clip off the surfline cam but it's just me going straight for the most part.

Edit: Here's from the other day on my 760. Trying to imitate Kane's f/s hits in the white water (and failing, but getting an idea of how to do it) and then trying to do an air. (See previous parentheses) I'm gonna get it.

Nice hit, definetly what I'm working on right now.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Finally back on the water...3 days of swell, 12 hours or so of surf foil, sup foil, multiple wings. Today getting on the kai wing with some juice was such a treat. Arms noodles, neck sore, whole body sore actually...stoked.

Reactions: grendel95

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
So I rode the 760 today in decent sized waves. 8 foot faces on the drops. It was fine. The big outside section is an initial 20 seconds of full speed down the line running, then it slows down for about 10 seconds, then another 10 seconds of fast sections.

The 760 definitely has a top speed. I kept it in the water but I was working to keep it there. It never felt like to big of a foil, it felt draggy though. I think it's to thick on the leading edge. I thought the smaller '60 Axis line was supposed to be for towing and big waves. 370 tail, ultra short fuse, 16mm 750mm mast.

I kind of feel like the 900 would've been better and had a higher top speed for the initial down the line part especially. I ended up going to the inside section where I was having fun taking off on the first wave of the set that was only a 4-5 foot drop, then pumping out to the 8 foot outside section and making connection carves.

While I do like the idea of Axis, I'm not in love with my gear currently. The 900 is to slow to roll rail to rail. I didn't love how the 760 performed today. I kind of had more fun at 2-3 foot mondo's yesterday over today in waves that were "twice as good".

I don't have any money to do it, but where would I go? Unifoil 150? I've been watching cloud 9 footage and sure flewdacoop does crazy strapped turns, but is that just because he's in Hawaii and that wave looks perfect for it? Do I just need to ride a real board when it's overhead?

Greg where is the Takuma ride report?

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Short window today with a carload of groms at the local mushburger. Crowd was in full force, every skill level and every type surf craft was out today. Normally I would be somewhere else, but the groms love it here.

Outside reef was doing it's thing and luckily i was the only foiler. Mast was a little too forward for the spot and breached the first couple as the wave hit the inside bar. Got my mind sorted and linked into a couple double dips. Figured I should check on the groms and rode one as far as I could, had to leave myself tiny to get (most) of the ride on.

Mar 20, 2019
Yeah 760 definitely feels slower than 900, but 900 gets hard to keep down when it gets bigger... I feel your pain.

Mar 22, 2020
So I rode the 760 today in decent sized waves. 8 foot faces on the drops. It was fine. The big outside section is an initial 20 seconds of full speed down the line running, then it slows down for about 10 seconds, then another 10 seconds of fast sections.

The 760 definitely has a top speed. I kept it in the water but I was working to keep it there. It never felt like to big of a foil, it felt draggy though. I think it's to thick on the leading edge. I thought the smaller '60 Axis line was supposed to be for towing and big waves. 370 tail, ultra short fuse, 16mm 750mm mast.

I kind of feel like the 900 would've been better and had a higher top speed for the initial down the line part especially. I ended up going to the inside section where I was having fun taking off on the first wave of the set that was only a 4-5 foot drop, then pumping out to the 8 foot outside section and making connection carves.

While I do like the idea of Axis, I'm not in love with my gear currently. The 900 is to slow to roll rail to rail. I didn't love how the 760 performed today. I kind of had more fun at 2-3 foot mondo's yesterday over today in waves that were "twice as good".

I don't have any money to do it, but where would I go? Unifoil 150? I've been watching cloud 9 footage and sure flewdacoop does crazy strapped turns, but is that just because he's in Hawaii and that wave looks perfect for it? Do I just need to ride a real board when it's overhead?

Greg where is the Takuma ride report?
I haven't tried the Kujira yet but one of my friend said it is really good, better than the 1300.

I know exactly how you feel, you need a fast smaller wing, hight aspect wing because now you want to keep this glide feeling we love so much.

I haven't tried Gofoil or Cloud9 or Takuma or the new Lift, those seems to be good.

One thing for sure is the Uni170 or Sig165 is a foil you would love as it is what I was looking for and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Thanks Greg. Someone might be interested in my axis setup. I sent a couple pictures. If he’s really interested I’ll probably go for that used unifoil 170 I found. What’s the wingspan on that do you know? Same as the axis 900?

I am still interested in the cloud 9 but the one I want won’t help you at all steamroller haha. The takuma still isn’t out or I’d give it more consideration. That’s probably the one I really want. Narrow high aspect.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Thanks Greg. Someone might be interested in my axis setup. I sent a couple pictures. If he’s really interested I’ll probably go for that used unifoil 170 I found. What’s the wingspan on that do you know? Same as the axis 900?

I am still interested in the cloud 9 but the one I want won’t help you at all steamroller haha. The takuma still isn’t out or I’d give it more consideration. That’s probably the one I really want. Narrow high aspect.
i'd wait for the kujira over the uni 170, the 170 is still a huge span if you want to hotdog it, my 71cm span gong HA goes rail to rail like crazy and is insanely fast, almost too fast for turns at points, i think you'll still be stuck in swoopy land on the 170 uni although that thing does pump like an absolute mofo it's still fVcking wide.