The Jordan Peterson Thread

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Also just want to say, his employer can do whatever IDGAF, but with literally Stephen Miller in the Executive Branch, and some of these other Turner Diaries whackos, Dr. Jordan Peterson re-packaging some hacked up Jung or Freud as a vehicle/sidecar to the self help he shills/sells or whatever to a target market that's decided to consume it is not a concern.
That is my thought too.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Not as intellectualy lazy as beleiving that a man in the sky created heavens and Earth.

For Peterson to claim to posses reason, while being religious is laughable. Shapiro consistently defends his homophobia with his religion. "My God said so".

It's a discussion ender. What are you supposed to say to that?
I'm thinking neither the religious nor the non religious will know if their belief or disbelief was legitimate until after they die. So, absent proof, I'm thinking neither belief nor disbelief should disqualify someone from having valid opinions or the ability to change the world for the better.

Unless you ride a Segway.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I'm thinking neither the religious nor the non religious will know if their belief or disbelief was legitimate until after they die. So, absent proof, I'm thinking neither belief nor disbelief should disqualify someone from having valid opinions or the ability to change the world for the better.
Would you make the same comparisons with someone who believed in super natural Santa or the tooth fairy?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Actually, I don't care if people are religious if they are cooperative and not raping and sh!t.

There was a gang of Christians at my warehouse job when I was a young man and there were some lazy ones and hard working ones.

When it came to time to get to work, me and the hard working Christians had our own gang.

They knew I was a pagan and didn't care because we had trailers that needed to be unloaded.

When the work was over they would go back to their Christian gang.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I agree.

I have no issue with people and religious beliefs if they are respectful of others. And I will show that respect back and hold my tongue.

but the realist in me has a hard time rationalization an “intellectual” believing in something that has no basis in science and responsible for some of the most visceral hate and violence this planet has seen.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Most people in the history of the world across all cultures have been religious

it’s not hard to find intellectual giants who were deeply religious
It's not the religion itself that's a problem, it's claiming superiority in logic and reason and at the same time abandoning all logic and reason.

It undermines 'academic' credibility, and in Shapiro's case, he's actually using his religion as a crutch when he gets cornered in the discussion about his homophobia.

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
What's interesting to me is that he put tons of stuff up and built a low key following before he hit the headlines. It looks like the popularity/buy in to his message was already solid with a decent amount of people before the social media whirlwind hit, so he did it organically, which is impressive. Then pounced hard once the social stuff took off.
Thats because the left has pushed an agenda that is so far fetched - for so long and so far that is contrary to every reason that someone who actually understands the topic can't stay quiet.

Tell a surfer about how longboards are for big waves and see what happens.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Most people in the history of the world across all cultures have been religious

it’s not hard to find intellectual giants who were deeply religious
Sure.

I never denied that.

it doesn’t change the fact I think the two are at odds.

intellectuals and religion has been a very dangerous combination in history.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I can't prove that Unicorns exist either.

So, wait and see? :unsure:

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
Not as intellectualy lazy as beleiving that a man in the sky created heavens and Earth.

For Peterson to claim to posses reason, while being religious is laughable. Shapiro consistently defends his homophobia with his religion. "My God said so".

It's a discussion ender. What are you supposed to say to that?
Try reading the Bible and see what it says and homosexuals.

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand