Modern-ish twin?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
There is nothing funny about NPJ's board,I find his concept interesting and was angling towards a conversation on fin position as its a very important part of the design concept(far more important than bottom concave imho) What I find amusing is the concept that a video of a highly skilled surfer riding one being some kind of validation. As I've said far too many times Archer not arrow.
Fin position on my boards started from monkey see/monkey do, to trial and error, to making my own fins trying different templates with position(s) and being fortunate to gain insight from subject matter experts by messaging( you might be surprised what you can find out if you are polite and ask). I'm not a shaper(but I can scrub grooves off and set fins) I find the design part very interesting, and like hearing the thoughts behind them. My concept (most from from others that were willing to share) is to promote a little more drive and rail engagement and take some of the quirkiness/ loosey goosey out of twinzers I ride.
You for reasons of your own, took my comment of "interesting fin position" as "spitting" on a shaper's design, which I typically wont do ( except for asym and Tomo MPH) I didn't mean to offend you and if NPJ's DUO work well for that is awesome.
What’s your beef with asyms?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Im 6’2 190 and just picked up an AO - 5’10 x 20 1/8 x 2 5/8 and it’s perfect. I was worried it would be too small but it isn’t and I’m glad I got it.
That's encouraging. I may pick up a stock 5'10" which is 2"⅞, which may help since I have 10 pounds on you. :drowning:

I haven't heard back from Malcolm yet, he must be slammed.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
That's encouraging. I may pick up a stock 5'10" which is 2"⅞, which may help since I have 10 pounds on you. :drowning:

I haven't heard back from Malcolm yet, he must be slammed.
Beak nose and flat deck carries a good amount of foam. Using CI’s board customizer with various models with ‘similar’ outlines, punching in the numbers it was consistently around 33L but in the water it feels more like 34.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Beak nose and flat deck carries a good amount of foam. Using CI’s board customizer with various models with ‘similar’ outlines, punching in the numbers it was consistently around 33L but in the water it feels more like 34.
Mc builds boards with float that is why I went 2 375" on AO rails with a 19.5" width. I told MC I want to grovel a little and works at knee but not as good as my gbuzz which has more volume and made to grovel. My AO works bezt waist to hh so far but love to try it on over head lefts back side.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Mc builds boards with float that is why I went 2 375" on AO rails with a 19.5" width. I told MC I want to grovel a little and works at knee but not as good as my gbuzz which has more volume and made to grovel. My AO works bezt waist to hh so far but love to try it on over head lefts back side.
What do you weigh and how old are you?

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
short 3min clip my friend made surfing lowers on some twins I shaped!
The rocker looks pretty flat on that pink board (and most of the other ones). You can see if catching on some of the waves hes surfing. I can only imagine how challenging it is to shape a board so i give you credit for that. But if you gave the board more rocker it might work better. :shaka:

• Haha
Reactions: Duffy LaCoronilla

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Cool stuff. Man you're mate has a severe case of windmill arms...I'm a bit seasick after watching his contortions. Good work on the boards.
Me too, seasick. I feel bad saying it but that was hard to watch! Ditto on the board build tho, good work!

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
As far as fish go I've had quad, twinsers and twin plus trailer go good for me but am yet to find a twin that goes "good" backside. Not that I've had many. MR twin, lost RNF (as twin, no trailer), Album Townsend asym Twin. I, along with other commenters I've seen here have had It will go backside. Which twins actually goes good backhand? BTW, not down on twins AT ALL, just keen to hook up with one that excels both ways (slight pun intended)?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
As far as fish go I've had quad, twinsers and twin plus trailer go good for me but am yet to find a twin that goes "good" backside. Not that I've had many. MR twin, lost RNF (as twin, no trailer), Album Townsend asym Twin. I, along with other commenters I've seen here have had It will go backside. Which twins actually goes good backhand? BTW, not down on twins AT ALL, just keen to hook up with one that excels both ways (slight pun intended)?
AO goes great backside specially in tube I tested mine all Summer and last Fall at tarantulas.

Reactions: chilly1 and sdsrfr