Modern-ish twin?

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Been seeing a couple of those Neal Purchase boards lately. Toru from Surf Garage has been riding a 9’0. He’s been making some long shots at Rockpiles and can’t seem to get enough that board. And Rylan who is Max Holloway’s Ju Jitsu coach has been riding a fish. I haven’t seen him surf in awhile until recently but his surfing has progressed during the lockdowns. Said only training they are allowed to do is online. Both were surprised I knew who shaped their boards when I saw the fin set-up. Thanks erbb, I guess.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Reactions: plasticbertrand

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I don't see the need to spit on the shapers who decided to take a different path.
Hardly, my fins are 1 5/8" from rail, 1/8" toe, and 3* of cant
I know why they are there
I applaud those on a different path(asym not so much)
I have a thirst for knowledge, not hyperbole

Last edited:

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
You don't, it was meant as an illustration that I'm not exactly on the mainstream path
this seems to the standard around here when we try to discuss design concepts
I will leave

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
You don't, it was meant as an illustration that I'm not exactly on the mainstream path
this seems to the standard around here when we try to discuss design concepts
I will leave
I just don't know what was so funny about his board.

Care to share your thoughts?

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Nope, made for running keels, too. I did tell him I wanted to loosen up my TKF when ordering so maybe he pushed them a little forward, too?

in discussion he asked me what fins I was planning on running and I told him TA Hobies. He mentioned Hobies are good and I may also like his for a little variety since they both are “big” keels.

I measured the banjo with his template vs my TKF with glass-ons and placement was about the same.
how's the Banjo go compared with the TKF?
debating a Stamps Banjo vs a Bing twin keel to complete my dream of an all-fish quiver

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
There is nothing funny about NPJ's board,I find his concept interesting and was angling towards a conversation on fin position as its a very important part of the design concept(far more important than bottom concave imho) What I find amusing is the concept that a video of a highly skilled surfer riding one being some kind of validation. As I've said far too many times Archer not arrow.
Fin position on my boards started from monkey see/monkey do, to trial and error, to making my own fins trying different templates with position(s) and being fortunate to gain insight from subject matter experts by messaging( you might be surprised what you can find out if you are polite and ask). I'm not a shaper(but I can scrub grooves off and set fins) I find the design part very interesting, and like hearing the thoughts behind them. My concept (most from from others that were willing to share) is to promote a little more drive and rail engagement and take some of the quirkiness/ loosey goosey out of twinzers I ride.
You for reasons of your own, took my comment of "interesting fin position" as "spitting" on a shaper's design, which I typically wont do ( except for asym and Tomo MPH) I didn't mean to offend you and if NPJ's DUO work well for that is awesome.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
how's the Banjo go compared with the TKF?
debating a Stamps Banjo vs a Bing twin keel to complete my dream of an all-fish quiver
TKF was ordered as a traditional glass on keel fish. I really enjoyed it but found in good waves i really had to try to initiate big cutback turns as opposed to just make them, if that makes sense. In addition to stock banjo differences, I had a few refinements to make it more sensitive compared to my TKF.

after about a year now I much prefer the banjo. at first I thought the tkf was better getting into small stuff but that was addressed with fins. I held onto the TKF for a while but eventually got rid of it because of the overlap and preference. still yet to get the banjo out in good fall swell but it’ll surely do it better than the tkf would.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
There is nothing funny about NPJ's board,I find his concept interesting and was angling towards a conversation on fin position as its a very important part of the design concept(far more important than bottom concave imho) What I find amusing is the concept that a video of a highly skilled surfer riding one being some kind of validation. As I've said far too many times Archer not arrow.
I will have to disagree.

Who would you rather watch to figure out what the design is capable of, a kook or a good surfer?

The video demonstrates perfectly what's possible on the board and what kind of lines you can draw, how it behaves on different parts of the wave. That's all valuable information.

It's up to you if you can achieve that, if you're a mediocre archer, like myself, you at least know what the board is capable of and strive for it.

And no worries, I was just confused by rollie heads. :roflmao:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Can somebody help with sizing on Alpha/Omega?

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but would like to pull the trigger on the order and the dims on paper look confusing.

Out of my experience with the Octafish, I know Malcolm packs a lot of foam in them so I don't want to go too big.

I'm 6'1" 200 and old. I'm thinking 5'10" but I read somewhere that I should go bigger.

the 5'10" is 2 ⅞" and it carries that foam through the nose. Seems like plenty of foam but when up and riding, it's a different story. Thanks :shaka:

View attachment 97007
Im 6’2 190 and just picked up an AO - 5’10 x 20 1/8 x 2 5/8 and it’s perfect. I was worried it would be too small but it isn’t and I’m glad I got it.

Last edited: