*** Official Fin Thread ***

Sep 14, 2019
I have an 8’6x 22x 3 ish (foiled out to the rails a bit) longboard, slight single to double concave with v out the tail. I’m 200lbs , average ability, usually ride it in ankle to chest high points. I mostly ride longboards more like midlengths because I suck At/ am not really into noseriding. I prefer to go fast, flow with the wave and do cutbacks rather than noseride
I’ve loved it with a 6.5” kai sallas fin all the way back in the box with futures f6 as side fins (I know this setup sounds like a lot of fin but it was recommended by the late great glen Kennedy and he was dead on).
I have a 7” true Ames cutaway fin I wanted To try with it , I was wondering if any fin gurus had recommendations for sidebites That would work that fin. I can try the f6’s with it but I’m bored and want to try something new.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
They look pretty similar but lighter construction and v2 foil. I think futures has the base width number listed incorrectly. No way it's only 4.44 just looking at the fin. Thinking they might be fun in the Hayden Loot I have arriving next week. Small wave boards with low rocker is sort of my thinking since it's a pivot fin. Could be fun in the JS Psycho Nitro. We'll see!

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
*ALERT*

Noel Salas' large fins are actually quite small. I'd say they're a medium at best.

Reactions: Havoc

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
They look pretty similar but lighter construction and v2 foil. I think futures has the base width number listed incorrectly. No way it's only 4.44 just looking at the fin. Thinking they might be fun in the Hayden Loot I have arriving next week. Small wave boards with low rocker is sort of my thinking since it's a pivot fin. Could be fun in the JS Psycho Nitro. We'll see!
What are you running in your Psycho Nitro? I've got some large JWs and it definitely feels like too much fin, swapped the center fin out for something a bit smaller and it feels a whole lot better.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
What are you running in your Psycho Nitro? I've got some large JWs and it definitely feels like too much fin, swapped the center fin out for something a bit smaller and it feels a whole lot better.
I'm running Futures. DHD L's feel good. F4 center if the conditions are weak. Most fin combos felt pretty okay in this board. I liked the more upright Roberts template as well in weak mush. AM2s felt a little stiff w/ the low tail rocker.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Ordered some NVS twin fins recently to try in the Tokoro HP Twin that has been frustrating me.

Got the Album Fascination which is semi-keel and the way the tabs are set pushes the trailing edge a lot farther back than the shapers fin marks.

Also got a pair of the Nautilus fins in G10. Theyre a little smaller than the FCS Power Twin but when I popped them in my Vesso Love Seat, which is a fishy board, the trailing edge sat in Kerry’s fin mark. So I decided to give it a go. Waves were meh and the only reason I paddled out was to see how the fins felt. Got three waves. First was a pretty long one that I just pumped down the line trying to adjust to the fins. The board felt fast enough to keep up but I could feel a little sideways wiggle. More so than when using the Power Twins.

Second wave got a runner that I raced and when it slowed down did a roundhouse to whitewater rebound.

Last wave got a closeout. But I got in a good bottom turn and smashed the lip. That felt really good. When I was waiting in line to shower Les said I saw your last wave. I told him you see me smash it? He said yeah not bad. Les said I could hear you saying oh yeah oh yeah when you bottom turned. I laughed and asked Les Is that what you tell yourself when you see a good section? What I really was thinking was f*cking closeout hit it as hard as you can. And when I re- od in I was thinking don’t fall I don’t want to swim. Haha.

Here’s a screenshot of the fins. I’m not ready to replace the Power Twins with these yet but want to try in waves that aren’t so high tide fat.

5113D7DA-90BE-43CB-8CAC-9E13F8F900A1.jpeg

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
RNF Redux ideas? Threw in my bigger fcs Mercados for the maiden voyage tomorow. Figured they would be better than the upright kelly fins?

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
I had an og rnf that I picked up on Craigslist with glass on twins that seemed pretty similar to the TA twin. I dug it.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
RNF Redux ideas? Threw in my bigger fcs Mercados for the maiden voyage tomorow. Figured they would be better than the upright kelly fins?
My buddy in Cabo got an RNF Redux this year. He loves it. His has Futures and he runs the Mulcoy quad fins which are a medium fin and are pretty upright. He's a small guy like 155lbs. That's all I got!

Reactions: Waterlogged05

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I got inspired by this thread. Enough that I actually decided to look at what fins I even had in my board. I mean, they work but I don't peek under the dress too often out of politeness.. I always was an old-school FCS disciple of the G5s with the G3 in the middle. The YUs back 20 years ago were absolute next level for the time, accelerate right off the bottom right into a huge snap, and then right back in, cranking everything around on a dime. Only downside sometimes is that they were too fast so you had to give it A+ effort to get A+ results, your roundhouses would be chopped because you're turning too fast, you had to consciously downcarve on the initial cutback so your whitewash rebound wasn't from the top down. Had to be constantly on point which admittedly was exhausting. Could not just cruise. I mean, you could but then it's like why not just give up and ride a midlength/funboard at that point? Please people, do not go gently into that good night. Rage rage against the dying of maneuverability.

So anyways, like I said, it appears I am surfing the 6'6" lost speed demon with a pair of FCS G-AMs in the side fins with a G-3000 in the middle. Holds on steep drops but with small middle fin, looser than a whore in Gomorrah.

I am 100% over Futures (and this was after being 100% over FCS). Just so goddamn hard to shimmy the fins out of the box by comparison, especially when they snap at the base and I snap a lot of fins. Also ripped out more boxes than that Lust guy in the movie Se7en. Both systems but FCS is easier to extract. Some of it by user stupidity (i.e., running up into shallows out of wave greed), other times, seriously I have no idea. While I would like to surf like Taylor Knox, I accept the reality that I don't. So no, no idea how I snap fins so often, almost always the center one. But notably less so when I use a small middle one. Oh who knows.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Did you cut and paste this from around 2002?
Those fins are almost exactly that old. And they do still work. I have about a half dozen mis-matched sets or varying combinations. Maybe one day I'll spread that out, do an inventory, and pay Basham's 10 bucks to root through their dumpster and try to recomplete them. :roflmao:

Reactions: Waterlogged05