Sprinter Van Owners

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
they do that at ventura all the time...and talk talk talk...bla bla blaaaaaaaaa...no surfing just talking about surfing...all day..haha
There are some of them that are there every day all day in the same parking lot. Week after week. Day in, day out. I don’t know how they have managed to arrange their lives to make that possible number one. Number two I don’t know how they stand it. Go home. Get a job. Something. Anything. Go away once in a while.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What I notice is if there a lot of people around, I usually hate them.

If I'm in the middle of nowhere and there no humans around, I'm happy to see them.

This happened in Peru but it wasn't humans it was Brazilians.

There is a Brazilian guy who lives around here and he is like a super human. So much a better human than I, in all measures.

I'm just saying.

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
There are some of them that are there every day all day in the same parking lot. Week after week. Day in, day out. I don’t know how they have managed to arrange their lives to make that possible number one. Number two I don’t know how they stand it. Go home. Get a job. Something. Anything. Go away once in a while.
I say hello to them all the time. They comment on surfboards when you walk by. Nice guys. In that area there could be a lot worse hanging around and I like to think that they will say something if they see a grifter trying to steal something.....but it is hilarious. I always hear the same conversation when one of them joins the group.

....surf today....nope, im burned out from last night, maybe tomorrow......were you here last night.......no.....it got good.....I caught a ton of waves.

Reactions: steamroller

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Lotta sprinters on my street. Not squatters, the owners live in nice homes, sprinter on the sidewalk since it doesn’t fit their driveway.

seems there are tiers. Pop out customs that you pay for right away to customize and look worthy of Instagram. Also the opposite end, gutted like a rape van, but with a Benz emblem up front.

most are in between. Started with some stock accessories, then went to Home Depot, bought a saw and a lotta lumber. failed dreams ensue, but hey, not everyone can make something with their hands.

i dont think the people who camp out on 101 all day are new, and exclusive to the sprinter crowd. Also see these old RV things doing it and always have for over 10-15yrs I can recall.

Oct 13, 2019
CenCoast
I have some good friends that have a van (sprinter/volks/ford/etc). They don't park in public places in the manner described. Some are 30's, 40's, 50's, all hardcore surfers (huge priority, surfed the globe, etc). All have 40 hour a week jobs that don't pay that well (except one). But, each owns their van outright, they take home 85% of their paycheck, putting away over 35k a year with a "so so" job (or a job that pretty much anyone could acquire). One buddy has a six figure gig and puts away over 100k a year. Their vans are quite minimal as well (no unnecessary garbage). All are environmentally mindful, disciplined, take care of their temple inside/out...surf many days a week and have their "go to" spots for the night (while not treading on anyone's sensitivities). Not all van dwellers are dregs. I will add that none of the above are currently married or have any kids that haven't already passed adulthood. Van life can buy house life (if that's what you want) or it can assist you in retiring EARLY doing exactly what you want to do. It ALL depends on the individual's integrity, accountability and purpose/goal. In CA a households $$$ is allotted to mortgage/rent more than any other bill...most van dwellers have eliminated that....and if surfing and the lifestyle associated is YOUR life then it makes sense. All of us on here typing, reading the net/etc live better than 100% of ALL kings/queens/humans of the past to ever exist. We have foods/comforts/technologies/etc that few to almost no human generations prior have ever experienced/imagined. We're fuggin babies on the teat compared to former humans who didn't have what we have today. You as a walking miracle, as a consciousness that no one on earth has ever come close to remotely explain have incredible capabilities beyond our EASY lifestyles. So good on ya to the Van folks keeping it a tad primitive, doing it without any squalor or inelegance, and making it look SIMPLE...peace
Jesus take it easy

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I've never seen an expensive sports car with a surfboard in it.

So are you going to level with us.....what brand is your sprinter.
I'd have to say the same except for Zuma and a few places people go to be seen, but I bet a good % of those surfboards are props and they don't actually ride them (saw a guy laying out tanning next to a new unwaxed surfboard at Zuma).
$34k doesn't seem bad for a base model Sprinter. Could be fun but not my thing.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I have some good friends that have a van (sprinter/volks/ford/etc). They don't park in public places in the manner described. Some are 30's, 40's, 50's, all hardcore surfers (huge priority, surfed the globe, etc). All have 40 hour a week jobs that don't pay that well (except one). But, each owns their van outright, they take home 85% of their paycheck, putting away over 35k a year with a "so so" job (or a job that pretty much anyone could acquire). One buddy has a six figure gig and puts away over 100k a year. Their vans are quite minimal as well (no unnecessary garbage). All are environmentally mindful, disciplined, take care of their temple inside/out...surf many days a week and have their "go to" spots for the night (while not treading on anyone's sensitivities). Not all van dwellers are dregs. I will add that none of the above are currently married or have any kids that haven't already passed adulthood. Van life can buy house life (if that's what you want) or it can assist you in retiring EARLY doing exactly what you want to do. It ALL depends on the individual's integrity, accountability and purpose/goal. In CA a households $$$ is allotted to mortgage/rent more than any other bill...most van dwellers have eliminated that....and if surfing and the lifestyle associated is YOUR life then it makes sense. All of us on here typing, reading the net/etc live better than 100% of ALL kings/queens/humans of the past to ever exist. We have foods/comforts/technologies/etc that few to almost no human generations prior have ever experienced/imagined. We're fuggin babies on the teat compared to former humans who didn't have what we have today. You as a walking miracle, as a consciousness that no one on earth has ever come close to remotely explain have incredible capabilities beyond our EASY lifestyles. So good on ya to the Van folks keeping it a tad primitive, doing it without any squalor or inelegance, and making it look SIMPLE...peace
So live in a van and sh!t in a bucket or....

Live close to the beach. Work a normal job and live in a normal house. I'll take the second option. I live close enough that I could surf everyday if I wanted to. I'd jump off a cliff if I finished a long day of work and had to go live in a fookin van.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I don't give a fu ck what other people drive. Bigger and slower so I can pass those slow pokes is better for me.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
soooo... ur noble van bros from the church of latter day personal responsibility all have socially correct 40hr/week jobs, clean well lit houses (paid off) with manicured lawns and dogs that dont bark (or sh!t on said lawn), put away 35k/ yr (just in case) from sh!t wages, surf all the time all over the world at secret go to's from their vans (also owned outright) and never double parked.

everybody you know just livin the dream bro? or just the sprinter guys?

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I looked at em. A little pricey and small for my needs and I'm not gonna live in it and instagram my survival. I know one ERBB er had a pretty bad ass one and traveled in it. Seems like a great option to me if it fits your needs.

Now i'm looking at old school RVs and toy haulers. Fuckers are expensive though. Be able to spend a weekend in the obx or take some dirt bikes out to trails of WV for a few days.... seems like a good option.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
We had this EXT Sprinter for about 4 years, sold it around 70,000 miles. Retired and go for milk and return 3-4,000 miles later. 16-18 mpg, fully self-contained. Retired from surfing at 65, retired from work at 67. So far, haven’t run over any whiners. CB5B9397-8B3C-4C88-9DA9-AB0905F191CB.jpeg

Last edited:

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I don't mind these guys, they keep an eye on the place. Theft & break ins are rare