Official ***Wisdom that my Dad taught me thread ***

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Repost, originally from the Official Fires thread:

my dad always told me to measure the distance to the nearest fire hydrant before buying a home. That measurement will be used by the insurance adjusters to calculate the odds of your house being saved during a fire storm and whether or not they’ll provide coverage.

hydrant right out front is the best.

slopokecr

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 28, 2007
Things my Dad taught me that worked out:
1) Never play the Victim
2) You dont just marry the girl, you marry her whole family.
The thing that didnt work out:
1) Do what you love, the money will come.

Reactions: PPK96754 and afoaf

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
College drinking talk. He said only drink single malt scotch. Don’t drink anything else. And you’ll be fine. Neve miss school or work the next morning from too much drink. With that, he sent me off.

Reactions: the janitor

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
So was mine, always have a plan C,D, and E when failure is not an option.

Also, real hero's are quiet and show up every day whether it be work or family.
Did you ever build any thing with your ole man? 7th grade I built a half pipe with my dad around '84. No big local lumber stores like now so drove to Ventura for wood in van and brought a few sheets at a time etc. My dad never skated in his life but some how came up with transition of 8' with 18" of vert but only 8' wide. Fun times but lucky we had grass in back because I came up side a few times...

Reactions: PJ and PPK96754

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
So was mine, always have a plan C,D, and E when failure is not an option.

Also, real hero's are quiet and show up every day whether it be work or family.
Yeah, there used to be the "strong silent type." At least in popular culture that figure is absent. Actually I'm thinking politics...but maybe quiet or silent was never an attribute of politicians. Can you thin of any?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yeah, there used to be the "strong silent type." At least in popular culture that figure is absent. Actually I'm thinking politics...but maybe quiet or silent was never an attribute of politicians. Can you thin of any?
No but can think of past POTU who's actions spoke louder then words... actual leaders....hell even W bush 2nd worse ever or 3rd knew to get help with Katrina and was way over his head.....

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1) "When it is your car, you can play the music you like."

Said while bagpipe marching music is playing. Then at age 18 made the mistake of buying a motorbike instead of a car.

2) "Get some oil absorbent paper quick!"

Said while fixing something with the car engine...I run into the garage and start looking for it and hear in yell "faster, hurry up", and I say I can't find it while thinking "oil absorbent paper?", and he screams just bring anything. So I bring out some old t-shirt rags that we usually use. Afterwards I ask where this special paper is, and he says, "Its toilet paper."

3) "Keep your cool."

Said while trying to educate me on the finer points of fisticuffs, and of course based on Marquess of Queensberry Rules so pretty much useless in scraps. I distinctly remember getting laughed at by assuming the style he taught me.1599777571101.png

4) "Get some." "Don't trust her about being on the pill."

Advice during "the talk".

5) "Use the right tool for the job."

Said during many a car repair session with apparently the least complete set of tools on the planet because he would often send me to the Lindbecks to borrow their tools.

6) "I don't care if you end up a ditch-digger, but you are going to know how to read and speak English properly."

First, I would have been disowned if I grew up to be a ditch digger, and second, I think he was appalled by the version of English and slang his American children spoke.

7) "A good knife makes an excellent wedding gift."

I just bought a niece such a thing for her wedding next month. Am pretty sure no one else will buy such a gift and she'll remember me every time she uses it.

I am around 10 y/o and we notice our friendly neighbor washing her car, 'Someday you're going to want to suck on those.'
Thought he was full of sht at the time.

Last edited: