***Official FIRES thread***

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
This is clearly a heavy year, but I'm not sure where he is getting his numbers. I think perhaps his desire for a talking point might have overwhelmed the need for historical context or statistics. Agree the climate is changing, but we also have decades of overzealous fire suppression that left tons of fuel in forests coupled with population growth coming closer and closer to those forests.

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 9.38.19 PM.png

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
A childhood friend of mine who lives 30 miles away almost lost his house this afternoon. His place was basically surrounded but he had defensible space and the firefighters managed to keep the house from going up. That fire is still burning out of control with very little info available at this time. I know 2 people who lost their homes near Ashland today and a third lost his home and his glassblowing studio. So bummed.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
In the country, FACT, if you have very little defensible space the FF won't even bother with saving your home. Defensible space, maybe some access to water, hose lines, etc will increase your chances they will stick around and save your home.
Happened to my family, didn't happen to a friend.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
This is clearly a heavy year, but I'm not sure where he is getting his numbers. I think perhaps his desire for a talking point might have overwhelmed the need for historical context or statistics. Agree the climate is changing, but we also have decades of overzealous fire suppression that left tons of fuel in forests coupled with population growth coming closer and closer to those forests.

View attachment 97488

Reactions: the janitor

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

View attachment 97488

Slick Gavie is just trying to justify all of the climate related taxes and fees that Californians have to pay for. Nothing to see here

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

View attachment 97488

Newsom just makes sh!t up and never gets questioned on it.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
A childhood friend of mine who lives 30 miles away almost lost his house this afternoon. His place was basically surrounded but he had defensible space and the firefighters managed to keep the house from going up. That fire is still burning out of control with very little info available at this time. I know 2 people who lost their homes near Ashland today and a third lost his home and his glassblowing studio. So bummed.
Is there anything we can do to help?

Reactions: Aruka

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

View attachment 97488

just a guess but I’d assume that the governor has more official data at his disposal than Wikipedia.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Reactions: tsenn and Mr Doof

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
just a guess but I’d assume that the governor has more official data at his disposal than Wikipedia.
it could be some data sorting thing where he is only counting fires that are larger than X acres or something and Wikipedia have a lower Barr, but even so he's off by 50% and more importantly:

1. He's trying to use two consecutive years with a big jump to show a long term trend

B. His big figure lines up pretty well with recent historical averages

Again, this is for sure a heavy year. Right now it looks like the sun set about an hour ago and it is 9:25am, so I get the weirdness, but he's being a drama queen

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
So far, all five families I know that live in Shaver lake, their homes have been spared. They all live on the west side of 168. Friends in Bass Lake and Prather are now evacuating and I'm hoping this save streak continues for them.

• Mammoth Lake - all campgrounds, Wagners store, and a few houses destroyed
  • Shaver Lake - some houses destroyed
  • Huntington Lake - some houses and condos destroyed
    Reddinger Lake - some houses have been destroyed
  • China Peak - some buildings have been destroyed

• Fire moving north, slowly approaching southern boundary of Yosemite
  • Fire moving south, rapidly approaching Pine Flat Reservoir
  • Fire moving west, slowly approaching Northfork, Prather, Auberry, and Bass Lake

• New spot fire near Bullfrog Lake (between Dinkey Creek and Courtright) is growing quickly in all directions. Air attack last evening was unsuccessful in dousing it.
Hoping firefighters can save China Peak and rescue Sully, the African parrot who is stuck up there.

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
holy sh!t...Lake Mary Campgrounds burned?!?!?!?

we have had family camping trip their every year for 20 years....my Mimi will be so upset to hear about this

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Is there anything we can do to help?
They are all safe and sheltering with friends or family. So many fires and friends all over the state it's hard to keep up. Hoping after the winds die down today they can start to get things under control. Sounds like they are evacuating towns outside Cave Junction which is another place where I have friends. It's nearly midday and it looks like twilight here on the coast.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
holy sh!t...Lake Mary Campgrounds burned?!?!?!?

we have had family camping trip their every year for 20 years....my Mimi will be so upset to hear about this
I'm not seeing that any campground in Mammoth has burned. Might have been a typo on someones part