Any Other Martial Artists Out There?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Flograppling
Bitd it was VHS tapes lol. The Gracie ones were ridiculously expensive so I ordered mine from Pedro Carvalho. One of them he showed you how to break someone’s neck. I’m like wtf? Anywho there’s was always stuff like this on the end of the tapes

It seems like it wasn’t that long ago I was watching the live streams of these.
Udi Lima was my favorite fighter.

Last edited:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I was in one of the magazines. I don’t remember which one so I guess it wasn’t that big of a deal.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I was in one of the magazines. I don’t remember which one so I guess it wasn’t that big of a deal.
BB or KF? What were you training in? Speaking of the magazines. Philly is the home of Asian World of Martial Arts lol. Got to go to the showroom store as a youth. Talk about losing your sh!t.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
BB or KF? What were you training in? Speaking of the magazines. Philly is the home of Asian World of Martial Arts lol. Got to go to the showroom store as a youth. Talk about losing your sh!t.
Some bjj magazine. Did judo and bjj for like 20 years

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Some bjj magazine. Did judo and bjj for like 20 years
I hear mag and I automatically think Black Belt or Kung Fu. Much respect For real. That’s a long time to do either let alone both. I admire your dedication. Especially for the Judo. People who don’t have any experience with it have no idea what being on the receiving end of those throws can be like, especially if you flub your break fall.

Sadly the only thing remarkable about my very short time training BJJ (off and on for 2-3 years) is who I trained with and where I did it. Total dumb luck too lol.

Was living out in San Diego when they aired UFC 1. Days later I run into some rando Brazilian and I’m like hey man where can I learn BJJ??? He gives me his friends business card and I end up training with Nelson Monteiro in his garage in Del Mar.

Did that for like a year until he opened the school and I would of kept going there but he left for Abu Dubai with the Sheik.

Trained a while afterwards the high point being going to a Royce seminar where my training partner was a guy who worked with the Crocodile Hunter because everyone else was a cop. Made sure at the q & a to have a question for Royce so now I can say he choked me out (why was I getting triangled trying to guard pass).

Reactions: rts265

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called F*** You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground.
Head butts are gnarly and I’m a huge fan of soccer kicks/stomps.

I’d just moved to LA and met this English dude who was sorting out the legal ramifications of head butting in the face the bail bondsman who was hassling him at a nightclub. I gather he wrecked the guy who was the instigator and he was pressing charges. Problem was the bail bondsman was huge and my bro wasn’t lol. Case dismissed.

From a book about Capoeira
CF283242-9E3F-4FF2-94A9-32165033B5E6.jpeg

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
That's the sh!t that got Holyfield's ear bitten off.
Brazilians have a great sense of humor. Coconut = your head(duh). Candy = the other guy’s mouthful of broken teeth.

Then there’s Telephono where with a cupped hand you try to slap somebody on the ear hard enough to burst their ear drum.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called F*** You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground.
I haven’t done Ancestry but my family’s supposed to be Scottish.
That could at least explain why I’ve always loved watching Hooligans fight.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I like to watch hooligans fight too. It's great to see the poor destroy themselves.
I was really goods friends with a guy from England who was a legit hooligan/club member for I forget which team but let’s just say the Chelsea headhunters during a very famous time in hooliganism and I never got that impression from him. He sounded like he truly enjoyed himself. My take away was club/team pride/partisanism + boredom + booze = hooligan shenanigans and mutual combat. I remember seeing something in a documentary on his era about how they started fashion trends in England with the clothes they stole while they were on the road in other countries supporting the team. He used to crack up because I’d always ask him if he was a top lad.

But yeah I can see how it definitely is an indicator of some societal problems. Lack of economic opportunities + boredom + alcohol + club football = destructive violence.
Question is as always. What’s the solution?

Last edited: