Rest In Peace Brother Larry (surfwordz)

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Wordz took me to windmills and introduced me to his crew. I surfed there almost every day. No way I would have paddled out there on my own.

We did go one day over to the north side. Awesome road trip. Smokin bowls. Paddled out at an out of the way place. Epic day.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
My first time to Maui was a work related trip. I was able to get away from the organized events for just a few hours
wordz drove to the other side of the island to pick me up, loaned me a board, and we paddled out for my first Hawaii surf session
he ripped
he didn’t make fun of me for being a kook
he was an amazing and amusing story teller, in person, and written wordz too
anyone else remember the kidz book he wrote?
he was stocked on surfing and on life
He was one of a kind
my heart goes out to Lydia and all whose life he was part of
Rest In Peace, my friend

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Oh My God.

So NOT READY for this.

He and I have been texting and calling back and forth since the early dayz on here. I remember how crazy stocked he got when I ordered him a years subscription of TSJ.
ALWAYS a listening ear or a most heart felt response to texts and emails, even when I'd whine to him about my back pains and not be able to surf, he helped me SO MUCH with my recovery from lumbar fusion, I don't know if I would have made it without his never ending motivations.

The world is short one true brother, one true man, one true father, son, uncle, friend.

A piece of my heart has died reading about his passing. "I WILL go surf for Surfwordz no matter how much it hurts" was my motto during the recovery... I may just get it inked on my next board, made in his honor.

Devastated... Cannot stop the tears...

2020 is not ending up to be a year to remember, but it surely will never be forgotten now... The year Larry left us.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
I met Larry 15 years ago while I was on Maui with my family. He lent me a board and we surfed Lahaina breakwall. All through his health issues these past years, he has always maintained such a positive spirit and was so grateful for every day he had.

RIP Wordz . You will always be a warrior.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
An example to live by on so many levels. Family man, Warrior Spirit against the fookin cancer, Surf Charger, Stoke Spreader, Story Teller, etc...

Larry "surfwordz" Fernandez is DEAD,

LONG LIVE LARRY "SURFWORDZ" FERNANDEZ!!!!!!!!!

may we NEVER FORGET!

Reactions: Boneroni and r32

hilldo

Duke status
Feb 7, 2002
Houston, Texas, USA
Visit site
I came on here to post a surf shot to let you mokes know I am still alive and I see this news. Larry was so freaking aloha when I met him on Maui. We had a sick little session over some shallow reef barrels and talked story. He would check up on you from time to time in PMs and always had a way with wordz. One of a kind. Bummed to hear.

Last edited:

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
I saw Larry's IG posting by his daughter this morning and was devastated. Bruddah just trying to hold his family together. Rekindling with his Mom, was a cherished reunion for him. Larry worked hard to get his physical form back so he could get back in the ocean. That was his high priority and goal. Just to surf again, with his friends.

He spoke of the erBB and how folks stepped up for him and the love and aloha that was given by everyone here. He was amazed by the generosity of folks that he had never met and yet they gave in trying to help him to get better. He cried over the phone. "I cannot believe these people, uncle pete. I cannot believe these people. Unreal" Larry battled hard.

I never got the opportunity to meet Larry. My loss. Larry was just a good bruddah, who loved his kids, cherished his friendships that he had with folks and just wanted to be in the ocean and surf. I'll miss his drawings and stories. Fun reading.

Aloha no, Larry "surfwords" Fernandez
Ho'omana'o ~ Forever remembered :waving:
Rest in Peace Larry. One of the people that makes one keep coming back.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
RIP "surfwordz"...Never met him, but always loved reading his posts on the forum. I hope his family and friends are celebrating his life and know how much we appreciated his presence here,

Reactions: diro and PPK96754