Ever see a younger surfer?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I tried to make my daughter a surfing prodigy and every attempt failed bigly.

Toddler swim lessons. The first thing they do is dunk them. She freaked out. Was screaming and would not let the instructors anywhere near her. Done.

About 5 years old. Let's play in the gentle shore pound at the beach. All is going well. Looks like she's having fun. My back is turned to the lineup so I can watch her. All of a sudden a big one slaps me in the middle of my back and the next thing I know I'm watching her tumbling around under water as the wave rolls to shore. "I'm done daddy."

About 7-8 years old. Let's just go paddle. I get her past the shore pound on a tiny calm day. Wouldn't you know it. A six foot leopard shark cruises by (biggest one I've seen). But it's just a leopard shark. They're harmless. "I'm done daddy."

About 10 years old. Let's go to the Cove. I'll push you into a few waves. For some reason she insisted she didn't need/want a leash. Cool I think. I push her into a wave and she falls getting to her feet and then is floating around without her board all alone in deep water. Freaking out. "I'm done Daddy."

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Toddler swim lessons. The first thing they do is dunk them. She freaked out. Was screaming and would not let the instructors anywhere near her. Done.

About 5 years old. Let's play in the gentle shore pound at the beach. All is going well. Looks like she's having fun. My back is turned to the lineup so I can watch her. All of a sudden a big one slaps me in the middle of my back and the next thing I know I'm watching her tumbling around under water as the wave rolls to shore. "I'm done daddy."

About 7-8 years old. Let's just go paddle. I get her past the shore pound on a tiny calm day. Wouldn't you know it. A six foot leopard shark cruises by (biggest one I've seen). But it's just a leopard shark. They're harmless. "I'm done daddy."

About 10 years old. Let's go to the Cove. I'll push you into a few waves. For some reason she insisted she didn't need/want a leash. Cool I think. I push her into a wave and she falls getting to her feet and then is floating around without her board all alone in deep water. Freaking out. "I'm done Daddy."
Ditto with son but worze and at 18 family vacation puerto viejo son was washing feet off shore break at cocles and gets pulled out 50 yards in seconds surf 6' to 8'. I swimmed out to him and had to show him how to get out of rip and swim in.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria

Trials and tribulations of surfer parents. :roflmao:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Ditto with son but worze and at 18 family vacation puerto viejo son was washing feet off shore break at cocles and gets pulled out 50 yards in seconds surf 6' to 8'. I swimmed out to him and had to show him how to get out of rip and swim in.
Ditto with wife after thousands of dollars in gear and lessons, not to mention dozens of trips to warm beautiful islands with perfect beginner surf options, the house on LB with countless small little beginner friendly days right down the block. At least the 20+k in YTT is starting to pay off nicely in the clutch. Oh right and her happiness and purpose and joy in life etc etc :shameonyou::shaka:;)

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA

Ditto with wife after thousands of dollars in gear and lessons, not to mention dozens of trips to warm beautiful islands with perfect beginner surf options, the house on LB with countless small little beginner friendly days right down the block. At least the 20+k in YTT is starting to pay off nicely in the clutch. Oh right and her happiness and purpose and joy in life etc etc :shameonyou::shaka:;)
Hahahha - This deserves it's own thread - Ditto Ditto Ditto:
In 1999 my son was 5 - pushed him on a boogeyboard into 3 foot + waves in San Diego over and over and over - funnest time ever - he had no fear - a great week.

In 2000 - I bought him a small used Brewer in Montauk - he dumped on the first wave - DONE. Then my friend's kid who was with us that weekend and had a real thing for sharks told him all about sharks and got him totally afraid of the ocean (this would not be revealed to me for 10 years). In 2001 I bought him a 6" or so soft top in Fenwick Island Delaware - put him on it and he screamed bloody murder - fear of sharks. They say hope springs eternal in the human heart - for years and years I brought a couple of extra boards on top of the car, a couple of extra wet suits everywhere we went - hoping that some day it would all work out. It never did. Not my daughter either. My wife took a lesson in Waikikki in 2004 - somebody hit her with a board during the lesson and probably cracked her rib - it ached for years.

On the bright side the two kids and I did have some fun days boogie boarding and body surfing, they all like longboard Sector 9 and Hamboard skateboards and my wife says she might try another lesson next time we go to Hawaii.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Hahahha - This deserves it's own thread - Ditto Ditto Ditto:
In 1999 my son was 5 - pushed him on a boogeyboard into 3 foot + waves in San Diego over and over and over - funnest time ever - he had no fear - a great week.

In 2000 - I bought him a small used Brewer in Montauk - he dumped on the first wave - DONE. Then my friend's kid who was with us that weekend and had a real thing for sharks told him all about sharks and got him totally afraid of the ocean (this would not be revealed to me for 10 years). In 2001 I bought him a 6" or so soft top in Fenwick Island Delaware - put him on it and he screamed bloody murder - fear of sharks. They say hope springs eternal in the human heart - for years and years I brought a couple of extra boards on top of the car, a couple of extra wet suits everywhere we went - hoping that some day it would all work out. It never did. Not my daughter either. My wife took a lesson in Waikikki in 2004 - somebody hit her with a board during the lesson and probably cracked her rib - it ached for years.

On the bright side the two kids and I did have some fun days boogie boarding and body surfing, they all like longboard Sector 9 and Hamboard skateboards and my wife says she might try another lesson next time we go to Hawaii.
On our bright side, we signed my daughter up for youth sailing lessons and she loved it. They did most of their sailing on Coronado 14's. Then they had a couple sails on a Farr 40. I asked her if she got to steer the 40? She said no. I asked her what she did. "I took a nap." :foreheadslap:

After she finished the class she was adamant, "Daddy, we've got to get a boat!" o_O

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
is there a proper way to start em young?Got my grom wet (up to his neck) at 3 months and he didn't freak out but not sure what's the next move.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
heh, my guy was born and raised on the beach....used to paddle him around on the nose of a longboard. totally comfortable in the ocean, knows how to deal with swell, but as he got older, he discovered he could push my buttons by telling me he doesn't surf and doesn't want to. now, at age 11, he got into it when the lockdown started, discovered he liked it, and now that surfing is considered PE by the schools, he's willing to go out any time. still not sure if it's gonna stick, but i do enjoy paddling out with my boy.

side note: a couple years ago, i was surfing along side an obvious father and son. at my local....and at one point, i said to the son: "boy, it must great, surfing with your dad". the kid whirls around, glares at me, and says "i fucking hate surfing with my dad - do this, don't do that, blah, blah, he never lets up", and paddles away. so there's that.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ and One-Off

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
Two girls-first one I sent to a surf camp when she was 13. She came back riding waves but soon quit. When she was 29 years old she asked me to help her learn again. I did, and within a few years she was riding without a cord and cross stepping. She's married to a great surfer. Her husband gets most of the credit for her recent progression but I got the fire lit. Mission accomplished.

Second daughter I sent to camp when she was about 6. She has always been a good athlete and after a week was cross stepping. Soon quit, only to ask me to teach her when she was 16. I did. Took her to Costa Rica a year or so after her starting u again, and we had a great time. Been there another couple of times with her and even though she lives 5 hours away, when we are together we usually surf. She's engaged to a great guy who surfs as well. Mission accomplished.

No pros, or wanna be pros, but women who love to ride waves married to and/or engaged to surfers. As far as the kids they have and will have, who knows....

Reactions: PJ and Kento