*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Waiting for this story...
says the guy who dropped the mountain lion morsel and just sauntered off....

@llilibel03 - why a big knife and bear spray?!

are you going to fight a bear with a knife?

there is some debate about the use of bear spray for black bears especially if you
are on populated trails...which are the same ones with canister requirements

@SeaFoamGreen - I got my fly kit below a pound packed and may bring it, but I think
I'm more keen to bring a full bodied camera with me to take pics. my brother made
the point that if they aren't small, they're easy to catch, and not very sporting. plus I
don't bring the pan or utensils needed to clean/cook/eat the fish.

I'm going back up again in a couple of weeks with him and his friend and will bring
fishing gear for that since it's a LOW daily mileage trip and we'll be splitting some
weight between packs (pots/stove/fuel)

I should buy a PLB like ____ has in his kit....I could see the value in having a GPS
device for navigational purposes...but this area isn't deep or complicated and I have
been pouring over the topos to work out the off-trail sections including backup
and backup-backup options. my family knows my daily itinerary with variances and
when they should expect to hear from me.

(if I don't post Tuesday, I'm died)

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I should buy a PLB like ____ has in his kit....
I dislike PLBs with a passion. Don't want to be connected. I savor the mindset and experience that comes from knowing that I am truly on my own. Its such a refreshing contrast from the always-on, low-quality connection that is such a significant part of life in the digital age.

That being said, I own the Garmin in-reach mini.

LOL

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'd get one mostly so my dad will STFU about it

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I dislike PLBs with a passion. Don't want to be connected. I savor the mindset and experience that comes from knowing that I am truly on my own. Its such a refreshing contrast from the always-on, low-quality connection that is such a significant part of life in the digital age.

That being said, I own the Garmin in-reach mini.

LOL
ResQ Link doesn't have text messaging, any subscription or anything like that. I don't want texting either. You register it every few years with NOAA. The only thing it does is ping your location to rescue satellites just like the ones you'd use on a boat. Get bit by a rattlesnake (they are everywhere in southern Sierra), break your leg, etc, push the button and S&R comes out. Consider the alternative. Life/limb scenarios only, and I'd press it for a fellow hiker on the trail. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't carry one miles out in the wilderness. GPS is convenient but learning how to use a map and compass is like a 30" screen vs a 2" one and doesn't need a battery charger.

Reactions: afoaf

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't carry one miles out in the wilderness.
Because I like the experience of being totally on my own and PLBs change that experience significantly. That being said, I do completely understand why other folks choose to carry one out in the wilderness.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Because I like the experience of being totally on my own and PLBs change that experience significantly. That being said, I do completely understand why other folks choose to carry one out in the wilderness.
What if you're 20 miles deep alone and snap a femur or get bit by a mojave green? Wouldn't you wish you had one? It doesn't communicate with anything or give your location unless you press the button (which for most people is never), like a fire alarm or calling 911. I don't understand how that could "significantly" change an experience when it would only be used in an extremely rare scenario to maybe not die. You're still totally on your own with one. Would you not bring one 1000 miles out to sea?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I don't understand how that could "significantly" change an experience
On a solo trip without a PLB, knowing that any injury could lead to death, I move very slowly with an extremely heightened awareness and focus .

In other situations I like to get drunk and boot-ski down glaciers. Generally this is the sort of experience I prefer, so I usually head out with friends.

But when I solo, I'm chasing that zen thing and just can't seem to catch it if I'm carrying a cell or a PLB. Knowing the safety net is there just really alters my perception of things.

• Love

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
On a solo trip without a PLB, knowing that any injury could lead to death, I move very slowly with an extremely heightened awareness and focus .

In other situations I like to get drunk and boot-ski down glaciers. Generally this is the sort of experience I prefer, so I usually head out with friends.

But when I solo, I'm chasing that zen thing and just can't seem to catch it if I'm carrying a cell or a PLB. Knowing the safety net is there just really alters my perception of things.
Go climb Mt. Bintumani. No safety net there.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Just got back from doing the north lake to south lake 'loop' outside of bishop. Incredible conditions. 72 and sunny all day. Almost no clouds in the sky. Didnt see a single mosquito. A bit of haze one of the days on the climb out of le conte canyon to dusy basin but thats it. Not nearly as crowded as I was expecting it to be but as I was coming out from bishop pass a lot of people were heading up. Will probably be packed out there this weekend.. Will share some pics later.

As for packs I recently upgraded to a gossamer gear mariposa and couldn't be more happy. Its got so many good roomy pockets all over the pack and the main compartment is huge. Stoked on it.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Around every corner is such beauty that it is hard for the mind to digest. Lots of goosebumps.

Attachments

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I spent the whole morning going through this thread because it is really something I want to do...but it's starting to sound like sailing. $$$$$$. And like sailiing, the lighter, more efficient you go, the more $$$$$$$$$$$.

What would you estimate is the total cost of your whole kit?

And then I would have to times that by 3 to include the family.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I spent the whole morning going through this thread because it is really something I want to do...

Is it something you family wants to do though? Go to zion and do a hike there after renting from a local outfitter. That would give your family the idea if it'll be worth it or not. Long day hike with a nice airbnb afterwards.

I'm trying to figure out how to get my 7 and 5 year old to do it with me. Pinnacles should be a good test. Car camping for my wife and close hiking with caves and such to test out the kids endurance. They did pretty good on multiple mile days of walking in Italy last year, but there were gelato breaks in Italy.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I spent the whole morning going through this thread because it is really something I want to do...but it's starting to sound like sailing. $$$$$$. And like sailiing, the lighter, more efficient you go, the more $$$$$$$$$$$.

What would you estimate is the total cost of your whole kit?

You’re right about the cost! Good gear is expensive but lasts. If you get the cheap stuff it will break on you when you need it most.
Also, go with a friend or 2 for a 1-2-3 nighter on borrowed gear(happy to loan you mine) to see if you’re ready for the trip. Lots of gear sites online worth checking for sales and buy in off season for better discounts. It really can be about weight, especially for the younger kids, and there’s a balance between comforts of what gear to have and what gear to need.

Reactions: Aruka

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
We regularly go on 4-8 mile strenous (climbing) hikes. I always think when we reach a turn around point, instead of walking back down wouldn't be nice if we could post up the night here? I know I could do it. It's matter of seeing if my teenage daughter and middle age wife could do it. When we do our long hikes, I'm always the mule. I wouldn't;t feel good about borrowing a pack seeing how sweat drenched my day pack gets.

REI has used gear for sale on its website. I had good luck with a pair of Merrel Trailgloves. Might start watching for backpacking gear...

Reactions: JBerry

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Sucks!!! if you're in the Sierras right now, smoke from the #creekfire

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
never thought of that but I probably carry $2-3 k on my back with fishing gear. Sailing is WAY more $ pretty much any way you slice it.

I passed er’Foafs zone early this AM after staying in kernville. It went from 61 to over 90 in 1/2 hr up walker pass. I’m still blowing smoke boogers but it looked a lot cleaner where he’s at. Hope the wind is mostly in his favor.