*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
the GTW is closed in the souther region, but they said that entrance in to GTW
from Inyo via Cottonwood is still allowed....I'm going over to Boreal Plateau and
then north up in to SEKI towards Crabtree.
It's definitely closed on the other side. The road is closed up outside of Kernville. The fire perimeter surrounds the entire area from Soda Springs where the GWT trail drops into Kern Cyn to past the forks. It's weird looking at that map having hiked through that path and exploring the area in red a handful of times each year. That is THE fishing funzone.

Last edited:

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Cool thread. Love backpacking! Don't get to do as much as I used to, but I typically get about 3 trips in every summer. A couple good ones with buddies and one short one in with my family. When not backpacking we do a good amount of dispersed camping or camping at low key primitive campgrounds. I'm a geographic data scientist by trade, so I have a knack for finding good locations. Come summer often prefer the alpine solitude vs. dealing with the crowds and waves or lack there of at the coast, which have been ridiculous this year. We've really tried to stay local-ish and in state with the Rona, although we do live on the border. Here's some recent snaps from the Covid Summer of 2020.

Annual boyz backpacking trip....
IMG_20200807_104000-01.jpegReflect.jpg
IMG_9404-01 (2).jpeg
IMG_20200807_175009.jpg
IMG_20200807_201407-01-01.jpeg
Family car camps.......
IMG_20200704_121015-01.jpeg
IMG_20200705_093014-01-01 (2).jpeg
IMG_20200704_224304-01.jpeg
Azul.jpeg

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Yes, definitely! It's funny because while I was hiking yesterday I was wondering whether you guys had been hiking as well. Temps should be cooling off soon...hopefully good hiking weather in the fall.
Yes, we'd been hitting different spots a couple of times a week. We got in a day at Yosemite that was very nice and spent a week in UT and hiked a bunch in the Uintas. Super pretty up there and possible retirement location... Once the oven turned on we've not done too much but are jonesing to get out on the trail.
Let's get together soon!

Reactions: tsenn

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Just spread out all the gear and started getting sorted for a 3 day trip this weekend. Goal is to summit Kit Carson and Challenger in the Sangre de Christos. I'm not crazy about doing 14'ers any more, but my 16 year old kid is nuts about it, so here I go again.

Then maybe spend a night at a hot spring to soak the old bones.

Soooooooo looking forward to putting civilization in the rear view mirror for a few days.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Just plucked a day pass late October for Yosemite. Because of the Covid entry pass dealio, it’s been way less crowded there. Looking forward to it!

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Yes, we'd been hitting different spots a couple of times a week. We got in a day at Yosemite that was very nice and spent a week in UT and hiked a bunch in the Uintas. Super pretty up there and possible retirement location... Once the oven turned on we've not done too much but are jonesing to get out on the trail.
Let's get together soon!
Utah?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
This is the full kit for 4 days through GTW, Boreal Plateau, Siberian Outpost, Crabtree, and Miter Basin

going off-trail in places - I printed hi rez topos and my family has the full detail of my trip including
contingency plans.

running some tests on this trip:

DIY trail mails
first trip with trekking poles
took the frame out of the pack to go frameless
trial run of new tent/pad/quilt
leaving everything at home that is not absolutely necessary while still being safe

it's amazing how much weight you can cut by being economical with clothing and food

I never wear it all and I never eat it all....

PS. gut check requested...

based on this:

and this:

while I am using the PCT for a short period of time on the second day, I am NOT camping
along the PCT at any point. Based on the SEKI guidelines and the PCT guidelines it appears
that I am NOT required to use a bear canister.

thoughts?

I'd like to save the weight and use the offset to pack a camera/fishing gear

I don't cook/eat where I sleep and tie up a few hundred yards from camp in a scent proof
nylon bag

Last edited:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
while I am using the PCT for a short period of time on the second day, I am NOT camping
along the PCT at any point. Based on the SEKI guidelines and the PCT guidelines it appears

thoughts?

I don't cook/eat where I sleep and tie up a few hundred yards from camp in a scent proof
nylon bag
Slomo says "Do what you want".

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Just plucked a day pass late October for Yosemite. Because of the Covid entry pass dealio, it’s been way less crowded there. Looking forward to it!
You'll be stocked. It was surreal there without any crowds. We did the Mist Trail up to Nevada Falls and it was pretty neat to go that route as I normally would avoid due to crowding at the steps. The parking at the turn out after the tunnel only had two cars in it when we drove into the valley at around 7:30 am. Normally it's packed by that time.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Just spread out all the gear and started getting sorted for a 3 day trip this weekend. Goal is to summit Kit Carson and Challenger in the Sangre de Christos. I'm not crazy about doing 14'ers any more, but my 16 year old kid is nuts about it, so here I go again.

Then maybe spend a night at a hot spring to soak the old bones.

Soooooooo looking forward to putting civilization in the rear view mirror for a few days.
Three day trip to there, where do you live?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Can we talk about backpacks? After 20 years with my awesome NorthFace 92L backpack, I'm ready to downsize. It still works but my back is no longer feeling the 5 day treks with a lot of weight.

Although the NorthFace has been around world with me to more than 40 countries, and lasted the entire way, I'm considering other brands too. So far I like the Osprey AETHER AG 70.

It's incredible how much backpacks have changed shape over the years from 20 years ago. Has anyone tried the mold-to-your-hips foam thing from Osprey? Does it work or just gimmick?

Reactions: JBerry

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This is the full kit for 4 days through GTW, Boreal Plateau, Siberian Outpost, Crabtree, and Miter Basin

going off-trail in places - I printed hi rez topos and my family has the full detail of my trip including
contingency plans.

running some tests on this trip:

DIY trail mails
first trip with trekking poles
took the frame out of the pack to go frameless
trial run of new tent/pad/quilt
leaving everything at home that is not absolutely necessary while still being safe

it's amazing how much weight you can cut by being economical with clothing and food

I never wear it all and I never eat it all....

PS. gut check requested...

based on this:

and this:

thoughts?

nylon bag
I've been wanting to back pack for a while. My wife and daughter like the idea... until the thought of bears comes up.

Anybody have bear stories? Or tips and strategies?

We'd been camping for years and never saw bears (I saw them all the time in my youth- 60's and 70's). Then one trip to Yosemite during Thanksgiving week we saw quite a few. One particular instance we were all alone on a trail in the Valley. We had not seen another hiker and it was getting late. Then we came upon a large adult bear on the trail in front of us. We stopped and watched. It was walking perpendicular to the trail but when it got to the trail it changed course and was walking on the trail, towards us. I told my wife and daughter not to panic or run but to just stay there. But it kept coming toward us. Now I kind of freaked out. It was about thirty yards off and walking intently in our direction. As it started getting close I told my family to walk off the trail calmly, don't run, but i the direction where I knew the road would be. Almost as soon as we left the trail the bear also left the trail. Fook! I was almost wondering about running. He was only about fifteen yards away, still coming at us, but then he abruptly switched direction. That was the only time I was truly scared during a bear encounter. He was coming at us , bro!

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Love my Osprey 65L. Great for 2-5 day trips. Super good fit for my back. I try to keep it 40# and under.