Can we talk about single concave vs single to double concave?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Single concave, particularly in wider, flatter boards, feels kinday sticky to me (I'm thinking Rocket style boards). They try and make up for this stickiness by putting kick in the tail which for me just makes it stall. So personally prefer a moderate single not too far forward and some double between fins to vee out the back combined with a bit of entry rocker and low tail rocker. Seems like all the boards that I like, regardless of design or wave size follow that general template.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Reactions: MathDebater

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Never mind the crop circles...what kind of clip of Rasta surfing doesn't have a dropped wallet cutty in it? Heresy!
He claims there are now more moves in his repertoire ... though, he' making all sorts of claims at the same time, so it's safe assume he's gone full retard / Bohter and nothing he says can be taken seriously.
IMG_7CAC8F7FEB83-1.jpeg

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
My experience/take:
Single to double is easier to ride, and feels more 'normal', or neutral.

Deep single feels spicier and super fast when pumped correctly. It will pull you up the face of the wave, which takes some getting used to.
I agree.

also I can feel the v-spine of a single to double which makes the aft end feel a little more stable during rail to rail transitions.
there's "information" there during the turn.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
too big of words? his interviews remind me of my SAT prep school vocab section lol
Yeah, he kind of reminds of when Todd Christensen would be the play by play guy for Raider games. I shouldn't need a thesaurus to watch a football game, or listen to someone talk about bottom contours?

Jul 29, 2018
Then there's two kinds of single to double. Some doubles exit in V, others are double concaves that are actually set into a single concave. Not to mention depth, placement of deepest part of the single... :waving: it's enough to drive one off of his rocker. (see what I did there? Have fun)
I’ve just got the new model from Lsd that’s 90s inspired “hammer model”where it’s single to double but the double is not set in the single. Quite a nice vee under the front fins. Goes to flat out the back. Haven’t used it yet but really keen to see how it goes
My christenson water lion has Similar bottom but a really pronounced vee under the front fins. It rolls over rail to rail really nicely. Much more than my single concave boards.

• Wow
Reactions: johnson7

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I’ve just got the new model from Lsd that’s 90s inspired “hammer model”where it’s single to double but the double is not set in the single. Quite a nice vee under the front fins. Goes to flat out the back. Haven’t used it yet but really keen to see how it goes
My christenson water lion has Similar bottom but a really pronounced vee under the front fins. It rolls over rail to rail really nicely. Much more than my single concave boards.
I’m super keen to hear more about the LSD Hammer. Not much out on it yet.
Pics would be great

Jul 29, 2018
I’m super keen to hear more about the LSD Hammer. Not much out on it yet.
Pics would be great
Ill post some tomorrow. I’ve gone longer and skinny. 6’3 18 3/4 2 7/16. Comes in just under 30litres.
It’s a semi step but more for carves and on rail than a barrel board. Well that’s what I’m hoping for.

Reactions: Maz and urchined