Mental Health thread

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I quit coffee (again) in an attempt to quell caffeine induced anxiety. Am unsure if it is working (need to contact the other Mr Doof in the quantum universe who didn't quit drinking coffee and see if there is an actual difference in low level anxiety). The herbal tea is to satisfy the need for stimulation that the drinking coffee provided.

Actually, quitting coffee probably upped the anxiety for a while as I dealt with the withdrawal effects.
I had to quit too. This is my third week. It was inducing anxiety attacks. I had so much going on I don’t even know what was the caffeine withdrawal. I’ve been a mess. I miss the morning clean outs.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I didn't quit cold turkey, switched to low caffeine white tea for the first week (still got the headaches, grrrrr), and then the 2nd week, when the headaches grew less, switched to the herbal stuff, and headaches started right back up (grrrrrr).

Now starting 3rd week and I think I am falling asleep easier.

I didn't eliminate foods that contain caffeine because I am not that crazy but mostly because I didn't want to search out food that contain (or don't contain) caffeine.

Wonder if me getting older has decreased my ability to process caffeine, though it is plausible my current mindstate has rendered me less able to deal with the effects of caffeine.

Oh well, life goes on either way.

Reactions: rts265

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I quit cold turkey. Watching sugar too. I don’t know what’s caffeine withdrawal vs all the other sh!t. I used to drink a whole pot. Recently I was down to 20 oz. went straight to zero.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
rts, i may have missed this from earlier in the thread, but are you using THC for anxiety?
I swear, that and the guitar is basically the glue holding me together

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
rts, i may have missed this from earlier in the thread, but are you using THC for anxiety?
I swear, that and the guitar is basically the glue holding me together
No lol. I’m in a bad spot. No alcohol. No caffeine. Definitely no thc. Seeing two different doctors. Turning 40 sucks.

Guitar is one thing that keeps me sane. Need to stay busy. Been working out so hard first thing in the morning I’m spent.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
did my first staycation. straight up hotel about 10min from my spot. idea was pitched by hunny bunny at 10, room booked by 12, drinks by the pool by 1. worth it for the AC continuously on MAX after tossing and turning the night before. bonus was a pool with drink service.

amazing how many times I daydreamed myself elsewhere. It actually worked and was a great 24hr moment that was not our 2020 status quo.

back to reality by Monday morning, and petty bickering bs by the afternoon. still the best use of my chase travel points.

no covid yet.

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I think it's pretty fkn great how ya'll have each others backs

respeto

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Lowered expectations wan also work for the present
i expect to be in pain sometime, so when it’s happening, I’m not disappointed
or when things at work aren’t going great, it ok, because, at that moment, my expectations are still aligned with reality
im not a pessimist or an optimist.

For years I’ve been thinking ”lowered expectations “ was a recurring SNL bit, but it was actually mad tv
I get what you’re saying but the word expectation still implies an assumption of what will happen, not what is happening.

My son does this survival skills class and has learned so many great skills. One of the things the instructor, a good friend of mine does is of the kids ask a “future question” they have to do 10 push-ups.

Honestly it’s hard to do and again I’m not saying I’ve got it. But take any moment in your life. Are you breathing? Are you alive? Well then you should count your blessings. Because that breathe and life could be taken from you at any moment without any forewarning.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
foods containing caffeine?
I know there is some caffeine in all things chocolate*.

Like I said, I didn't want to look up foods that have or don't have caffeine in it, but you have forced my hand.

Source (click me)

Blurb:
1598465781461.png

* - Source
Chocolate derived from cocoa beans is a weak stimulant. It contains two stimulating methylxanthines (a class of alkaloid molecules), a significant amount of theobromine (and theophylline) and a small amount of caffeine. The slight stimulatory effect of chocolate is it seems as much due to the combination of theobromine and theophylline than caffeine.

Generally, caffeine and theobromine have very different effects on different people. Theobromine is relatively mild and helps elevate serotonin levels producing a really nice side effect of feeling good over a longer period of time. Caffeine is a stronger stimulant and acts relatively quickly as a wake-up drug. Compared to the caffeine, the theobromine has about one-quarter the stimulating power.

However, chocolate contains too little of these compounds to create a similar effect to portion equal to coffee. A typical cacao bean contains less than 1/20th of the caffeine present in coffee (from zero to 1000 parts per million of caffeine per bean).

• Wow
Reactions: rts265

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Green tea.

Tea... In the bad old days. Like The American Revolution and the Napoleanic Wars. British troops would carrry tea leaves with them. The officers would call them out after a march and order: Brew up. They would brew up a batch of knarly tea on the spot and share it out. Sugar and milk if they could scrounge it.

Tea or Coffee, In the good old days you would shave, put on your most fanciest uniform and stand on deck in battle. You would nut the fvck up. Live or Die. Lead from the front. No yellow.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
OK so for real food, it's a non-issue.

I've never heard of caffeine-fortified beef jerky.

sounds like a good time.
Chocolate covered coffee beans with THC.

If that is not real food, what is?

One of the things I notice is that different people react differently to different drugs.

Caffeine, alcohol, weed . . .

Have I mentioned my reality show idea where I do addictive drugs for a month and then try to quit?

Season 1: Cocaine

Season 2: Heroin

Season 3: see if I'm still alive. . . .

If there are any reality show TV producers, call me . . . .

*Yes, I know, I'm using it as guise to get free drugs.

Zoom teaching is stressful!