what do u people do for a living. wax dryl aruka etc?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I wait tables. I mean, I "do" other things, on paper...but when it comes down to what's bringing the rent money in, I wait tables. :LOL:

Another member of the no kids, no mortgage (cheap rent), no addictions, single life advantage crew.
$1000 on a board feels like freedom, after I visit my best friend and he's Skype-ing with his baby mama and daughter in another state talking about $500 for this appointment, $2K for some...thing for babies.:socrazy:
He didn't even want a kid, I want to surf.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Yeah, working from home has cut my Sbux trips from everyday down to one or two days. I'm a nitro guy and that was getting pretty spendy. I don't like hot coffee or deserts for some reason and I could never get something that tasted that good at home, plus I have the palette of a five year old and need some sort of sweetener added. I've been buying the La Colombe triple shot latte canned thingys at T.J's which are pretty tasty, but not exactly cheap at $2.49 each. I do miss my daily pre-Covid Lululemon perv sessions at the Manhattan Beach pier Sbux location.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
So does one having "no mortgage" mean they are renting? Or do they own outright? At any age under 45, that's a good accomplishment IMO. Well I have a couple friends, one bought super early like late 90s when I was surf and snow bumming my life away, other lives in a yurt on property he inherited in BFE, shits in an outhouse, and has a nice quiver of Lost sleds.

Make my own coffee. Occasionally grab a coffee drink out with a coworker. Wouldn't mind adding another groveler, twin fish, and mid to my quiver, but have other hobbies to fund. Also like to go on surf trips once or twice a year.

Reactions: MathDebater

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
No mortgage, no rent. But that came at a price.

Bought a piece of coastal land in 2002, that nobody else wanted. Cleared the gorse and other scrub, levelled the building platform by hand (mattock, spade, crowbar), as there was no way to get a digger up there.

Finally built a self-designed house in 2004 - me and builder mate, and sometimes his labourer. Carried all the materials up 106 steps, except for the concrete which got pumped up.

Sold it 6 years ago for a good profit, and bought a smaller place close by - but should have held onto it, of course. Anyway, it was never about making money, but about living by the sea and walking to the surf.

Working part time now (meteorologist), while surfing as much as possible, cooking, and doing maintenance around the house.

Last edited:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Yeah, working from home has cut my Sbux trips from everyday down to one or two days. I'm a nitro guy and that was getting pretty spendy. I don't like hot coffee or deserts for some reason and I could never get something that tasted that good at home, plus I have the palette of a five year old and need some sort of sweetener added. I've been buying the La Colombe triple shot latte canned thingys at T.J's which are pretty tasty, but not exactly cheap at $2.49 each. I do miss my daily pre-Covid Lululemon perv sessions at the Manhattan Beach pier Sbux location.
No perv'in at home but it's easy to make your own cold brew. It's less efficient with beans than hot coffee but I don't like hot coffee either. Can't help on the sweetener thing. Also not trying to bash on anyone for their coffee fix, it's just an easy way to save money and drink better tasting coffee at the same time.

Surfing is my only hobby so I generally set aside enough for 2 boards a year and a big vacation - not necessarily a surf trip. I have a socal mortgage (split ) and student loans that I have about 2 years of fairly aggressive payments left on. After the student loans are done I aspire to attain Aruka/WaxUrDyl levels of board consumption. Also, I'd probably save a fortune if I gave up alcohol but.... naw.

Reactions: ChaseTMP and Aruka

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Serious answer. I haven’t traveled since 2014. First kid born 2015. Bought house 2016. I’d gladly stop the board purchases for some travel, but I don’t see any real trips happening with two young ones any time soon.

Reactions: Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Another funny cost savings is buying lunch vs making lunch.

sandwich from home is like $2/ea. or spend $7 at your cafeteria and miss out on a hipster polished Mid length per year.

play the same game with your Netflix/Hulu subscriptions and you could probably squeeze another board or two all other things left the same.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Another funny cost savings is buying lunch vs making lunch.

sandwich from home is like $2/ea. or spend $7 at your cafeteria and miss out on a hipster polished Mid length per year.

play the same game with your Netflix/Hulu subscriptions and you could probably squeeze another board or two all other things left the same.
Eating out is a killer

Reactions: stringcheese

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Teacher at an international school in Asia. Good pay, good benefits, great holidays, cheap leaving, no kids, no mortgage. My main expense each year is probably going on holiday to use up all my holiday time - typically I go back to visit the family and friends in England once a year, plus a trip to Indo, then wherever the gf wants. That takes its toll. During the current shenanigans, I decided it was the perfect opportunity to spend the holiday cash to start the #vanlife.

HOW MUCH DOES A LARGE LATTE AT STARBUCKS COST IN THE US!?!?!?!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Work from home: digital marketing, software manager/programmer, advertising, digital gun for hire.
Extremely low overhead ratio.
Salary varies every month, I honestly don't know what I make.
Currently renting, saving to buy a million dollar shanty.
Wear boardshorts and no shirt all day.
Coffee from home. Used to eat out 3-4x per week (lunch only), dinners always at home.
No kids, yet. Surfing is my only hobby.
Buy 3-5 boards per year, but always sell others first. Quiver hovers around 4-8 boards.
Bought a custom Stretch recently that was $995 with shipping (most I ever spent). It didn't work for me. Sold it and it hurt.
After that, sticking with a local PU guy for cheap.

Last edited:

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Four kids - mortgage - fulltime job. Honestly, for a while, planning and buying boards was the only reason to get up in the morning, especially when you got the opportunity to surf and it was generally crap. But lately buying boards has been a pain in the a%%. Selling off boards and dealing with tyre kickers, juggling money to fund a probable addiction; communicating with shapers who say the board will be ready in 4 weeks and it takes 3 months; getting the board and realising it's not that great ... it just takes the fun out of it. All i've learnt over years of board whoring is this: when you get a really good board, saviour it - ride it until it's dead. If you have 3-4 boards like that in the mix, that's all you need. Recently, I've spent more time focusing on my kids' surfing so that eventually I can just surf with them. Like all hard work - it isn't much fun, but eventually, it will pay off.

And I don't begrudge the dudes on here that have epic quivers and put time and energy into them - I feel stoked for them.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
All i've learnt over years of board whoring is this: when you get a really good board, saviour it - ride it until it's dead. If you have 3-4 boards like that in the mix, that's all you need.
I've come to this conclusion as well. With a twist. If I find something I like, I order another one with a slight change (maybe a round tail, or add quad boxes or slightly thicker). Cause we're all trying to find that different feel itch, but really you want something that you know you like as well.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I believe wayurdyl works USPS. I'm more curious where do these guys store them all? airplane hangar?? Aruka must have a barn on his 40 acres.
I've gone through a ton of boards last few years as I've experimented a lot, but most were excellent condition 2nd-hand, (several from erBB who tend to take great care of their boards), with maybe 1 new/custom a year. Now that I feel like I've dialed in what I want and really works for me, I've gone a bit nuts with a few customs lately. I do get crap from the wife, but it's my only hobby/escape, and she knows there's way worse things a guy can be doing with his free time (gambling, strip clubs, affairs, etc). I'm convinced a man needs a distraction from work/life to stay sane and it makes him a better husband/father. My dad was into sports cars and boats, so this all seems pretty small potatoes. Wife mostly is annoyed at how much of our storage space they take up. I'm on vacation with my wife's family and her brother was telling me how he has a $40k baseball card collection he's gotten super into this year. So, it's all relative. I had to laugh when he said he made card friends online and they chat about cards, valuation, and strategy. Nerds! I wonder if they have a bizarro-Retodd to patiently answer all their stupid questions.
Wonder how much that “$40k collection” is actually worth :ROFLMAO:

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Four kids - mortgage - fulltime job. Honestly, for a while, planning and buying boards was the only reason to get up in the morning, especially when you got the opportunity to surf and it was generally crap. But lately buying boards has been a pain in the a%%. Selling off boards and dealing with tyre kickers, juggling money to fund a probable addiction; communicating with shapers who say the board will be ready in 4 weeks and it takes 3 months; getting the board and realising it's not that great ... it just takes the fun out of it. All i've learnt over years of board whoring is this: when you get a really good board, saviour it - ride it until it's dead. If you have 3-4 boards like that in the mix, that's all you need. Recently, I've spent more time focusing on my kids' surfing so that eventually I can just surf with them. Like all hard work - it isn't much fun, but eventually, it will pay off.

And I don't begrudge the dudes on here that have epic quivers and put time and energy into them - I feel stoked for them.
That time spent with the kids is way more important and as rewarding as it gets. My most precious part of the surfing experience is surfing with and watching my kids surf. Priceless. The rest is just toys, a few magical ones you'll remember but not like the essence of the grom stoke.

Of coarse if you can swing both all the better.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
a getto born hawaiian "suit"
specializing in moving money and data for everyone here
after 40 years of becoming a grey haired kahuna regarding this stuff I'm very well compensated
most of it disposable
though it's taken a terrible toll on health and surf/water time

I guess all the boards keep me connected to a past
plus when i was most of your ages I couldn't afford my own
Although I do, I really don't like to sell my boards as I usually regret it later
I tend buy to support my shapers and to discover new things/sensations
That's why I still buy customs when I can just as well make my own composites.

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
I used to have a phone sales job where if you got a check by phone instead of credit card you would get a $2 bill per sale. I came home with a couple of $2 bills and showed my wife and she said "just give those away", as if I wasn't going to get many of them. I said "yeah right, if that's the way you think this will be my money then." Now I have a rack with 16 custom boards in it and every once in a while my wife forgets and asks how did you get the money for these boards again and I point to the $2 bill on the wall.

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Sold my body and soul to the federal government. Pay is good. Stress levels I could do without. Always wanted a job where I would never have to stress out about paying bills while living in Hawaii. Well, turns out you'll just stress out over your work instead.

I'm lucky enough to have a mortgage, two young kids, and a wife who stays at home. Surprisingly, I still have enough money to purchase boards when I feel like it. I drive an old car, don't drink, and have no other hobbies unless you count remodeling my 65 year old house.

What I don't have is lots of free time to surf. I'm lucky if I make it out 2-3 times in a week. So I can purchase plenty of boards but they would just end up sitting in my racks. I did get to a 4 board quiver that I really really like and works for 90% of my surfing. So I'm fairly content on not buying anymore boards until one breaks. And like someone else said, a lot of times the board buying process sucks and you might get a junk one.