***Official Central Coast tourist madness thread***

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
You guys sound ridiculous. You shoulda seen Newport this weekend. All of Riverside and San Bernardino County came to visit. In fact, they've been here all summer. And every summer previous.
The normal 7-10 minute drive to drop my boy on the peninsula at junior lifeguards took 30-35 minutes regularly this year.
It could be worse. You guys could be living in Bakersfield.

Reactions: Havoc and JBerry

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
89% of boating fatalities could have been avoided if personal flotation devices had been employed

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
You guys sound ridiculous. You shoulda seen Newport this weekend. All of Riverside and San Bernardino County came to visit. In fact, they've been here all summer. And every summer previous.
The normal 7-10 minute drive to drop my boy on the peninsula at junior lifeguards took 30-35 minutes regularly this year.
It could be worse. You guys could be living in Bakersfield.
I can imagine Newport and surrounding areas were packed. Brutal heat wave - who can blame anyone/everyone for going to the beach when it's that hot?

That being said, it was so nice to get away from everything and go camping with family up at Lake Hume in the Sierras and tour through Kings Canyon this last weekend. Also hot up there (mid-90s to low 100s) so didn't do any major hikes but scenery was insane (will post photos on Nat'l Parks thread eventually). Really not that many people there considering and everything about the trip was chill as chill gets. Lake felt goooooood at the end of the day. Definitely going back.

After Labor Day, beach crowds drop dramatically. Hurricanes and southern hemis seem to pop up too. Life will get better! :roflmao:

Reactions: Havoc

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I can imagine Newport and surrounding areas were packed. Brutal heat wave - who can blame anyone/everyone for going to the beach when it's that hot?

That being said, it was so nice to get away from everything and go camping with family up at Lake Hume in the Sierras and tour through Kings Canyon this last weekend. Also hot up there (mid-90s to low 100s) so didn't do any major hikes but scenery was insane (will post photos on Nat'l Parks thread eventually). Really not that many people there considering and everything about the trip was chill as chill gets. Lake felt goooooood at the end of the day. Definitely going back.

After Labor Day, beach crowds drop dramatically. Hurricanes and southern hemis seem to pop up too. Life will get better! :roflmao:
what campground did you stay at?

is the river at the bottom swimmable?

did you use the pay showers? wide or narrow stance?

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
what campground did you stay at?

is the river at the bottom swimmable?

did you use the pay showers? wide or narrow stance?
Stayed at Hume Lake Campground. Huge sites, spread out, tons for kids to explore.

If you're talking about Kings River, there were pockets where you could relax and hang out in the water but it was flowing hard in most other areas. Fair amount of people fishing.

Even just off the beach in Sandy Cove, was surprised how deep it was. At least 15' just 25 yards off or so and colder than a mfer down there.

Did not use showers there. Just like Carl Spackler, the pond/lake was good.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
So, when I was going to UCSB 89-93', was that like Santa Barbara .27 or something?
We all bitched about how crowded it was then, too.

Goddam down-southers and stus infecting lineups all over town. I knew a Goodland local boy who surfed Campus a lot and painted "No Stus" on the butt of his wetsuit. He would blatantly take off in front of anybody he didn't know.

Reactions: HarryLopez

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County

Goddam down-southers and stus infecting lineups all over town. I knew a Goodland local boy who surfed Campus a lot and painted "No Stus" on the butt of his wetsuit. He would blatantly take off in front of anybody he didn't know.
I had a guy do that to me at Rincon. Blatant drop in. Then he fell. Paddling back I asked him what that was for.

He gave me the growling, "I don't know you"

I replied, "yes you do, Ryan, I live over your back fence"

He was a tad bit embarrassed.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Anything south of point conception can stay f'ed. When it spills north its just sad
Well, since you brought it up I'll ask... How's the crowd situation up there now?
Wife and I and the pooch are headed up on a road/camping trip at the end of the month for 9 days, Mendocino north to Ft. Bragg/Noyo area, maybe as far as Pt. Arena/Humbolt.
Low key tenting it. Any 411 appreciated.
The beach in my town isn't as bad as it could be because you can only swim/jog/walk, no umbrellas, coolers, blankets, beach chairs, hanging out in groups, etc. The state park camp ground is packed, poor slobs have to hang out all day in their camp site.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Damn that sucks if it's as bad everywhere else!

These should be forcibly repossessed. Live here more than half the time, or you don't live here. Not so hard. That would go a long way towards fixing our real estate cost problem.

"Forcibly repossessed". Ha ha ha.

Are you saying the local government should institute eminent domain proceedings, take the properties, then pay the owners the fair market value forthem? And then what do they do with them? Sell them to some other private buyer? Like one of their political cronies?

Dude.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
"Forcibly repossessed". Ha ha ha.

Are you saying the local government should institute eminent domain proceedings, take the properties, then pay the owners the fair market value forthem? And then what do they do with them? Sell them to some other private buyer? Like one of their political cronies?

Dude.
Nah I meant we should get together with torches and shout something like "warriors!" while we strip them for parts. Not that, but something like it.
Definitely not what you said.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep

I was hassled once by a crusty older guy at Campus. Me and my roommate were the only two out. Guy was relentless, so I paddled up to him and said stfu or do something about it. Guy left us alone, and it could NOT have been because I was tough because I really wasn't. I was just used to bigger meaner locals I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: hammies and JBerry

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Most of NorCenCal is on fire right now after last Saturday nights lightening storm. A dozen forest fires burning north of Santa Cruz, Davenport up to Waddell and Ano.

In Monterey county two big fires. The River fire on Mt Torro. 4500+ acres, 150 + homes threatened. A new fire today down in Carmel Valley. Probably been smoldering for a couple of days and blew up today. More evacuations.

I woke up Sat. night about 1:30AM. We live up on the ridge over Santa Cruz and have a view out over the bay. OMG. The most intense lightning storm I have ever seen. It must have been 20 - 30 miles out on the bay. Titanic flashes, constantly. No thunder so it was a long way off. My neighbors woke up. We all were just standing watching it.

About 3:00AM. We heard this rumbling. Where we were at was dead still. Not a breath of wind. It got louder. Then this huge roar and a gust of wind 60 MPH plus came shooting over the ridge. We ran for shelter. I had to lean against my door to close it from the air pressure. Scary as fvck.

Then the lightening started to move onshore. Mostly to the north of us.

That was the most violent show of nature I have ever seen in my life. Just glad not to bNo winde a front row participant. I can't even imagine being outside the bay during that on a boat.

So smokey around here tonight. No wind, which is a good thing. A lot of these fires are burning out in butfvck egypt so not much is threatened. The Monterey fires are a different story. Triage. Send the crews/equipment to where they can save the most property.

Fires at Davenport, Waddell, Ano and back behind Ano up to Butano State park.

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
No. Nobody goes there. Surf sucks, teaming with sharks and drunk mexican fishermen who steal everything from your car.

Stay away!
I heard the meth problem has gotten so bad that it isn't even safe to drive in there. Like don't go past the sand factory place or you will get methd.

Reactions: dunnder

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Most of NorCenCal is on fire right now after last Saturday nights lightening storm. A dozen forest fires burning north of Santa Cruz, Davenport up to Waddell and Ano.

In Monterey county two big fires. The River fire on Mt Torro. 4500+ acres, 150 + homes threatened. A new fire today down in Carmel Valley. Probably been smoldering for a couple of days and blew up today. More evacuations.

I woke up Sat. night about 1:30AM. We live up on the ridge over Santa Cruz and have a view out over the bay. OMG. The most intense lightning storm I have ever seen. It must have been 20 - 30 miles out on the bay. Titanic flashes, constantly. No thunder so it was a long way off. My neighbors woke up. We all were just standing watching it.

About 3:00AM. We heard this rumbling. Where we were at was dead still. Not a breath of wind. It got louder. Then this huge roar and a gust of wind 60 MPH plus came shooting over the ridge. We ran for shelter. I had to lean against my door to close it from the air pressure. Scary as fvck.

That was the most violent show of nature I have ever seen in my life. Just glad not to bNo winde a front row participant. I can't even imagine being outside the bay during that on a boat.

So smokey around here tonight. No wind, which is a good thing. A lot of these fires are burning out in butfvck egypt so not much is threatened. The Monterey fires are a different story. Triage. Send the crews/equipment to where they can save the most property.

Growing up in the Mojave desert, this phenomenon was known colloquially as "August".
Had a pure bred chow dog. He wasn't a fan.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I heard the meth problem has gotten so bad that it isn't even safe to drive in there. Like don't go past the sand factory place or you will get methd.
The methening actually starts at the cemetery now. It’s totally out of control. All territory beyond the sand plant is under strict cartel control. No go zone until further notice.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

Lightning off Big Sur the other night:

http://instagr.am/p/CD8ZZFslGoC/
http://instagr.am/p/CD9Y-mSlXCv/

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Well, since you brought it up I'll ask... How's the crowd situation up there now?
Wife and I and the pooch are headed up on a road/camping trip at the end of the month for 9 days, Mendocino north to Ft. Bragg/Noyo area, maybe as far as Pt. Arena/Humbolt.
Low key tenting it. Any 411 appreciated.
The beach in my town isn't as bad as it could be because you can only swim/jog/walk, no umbrellas, coolers, blankets, beach chairs, hanging out in groups, etc. The state park camp ground is packed, poor slobs have to hang out all day in their camp site.
The fires Leaverite referenced are even worse on the North Coast. Fort Ross is ablaze and Highway 1 is closed through northern Sonoma County. You can probably get up 101 and cut over on 128 if the Cloverdale fire isn't blocking that, but you're not going up north of Jenner.

PS. Point Arena is south of Mendocino (town)/Ft. Bragg/Noyo.

• Wow
Reactions: rts265