Ashton Goggan's eulogizing of Derek Ho turns into a piece about Ashton. (lol)

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Wow. Ashton out Ashton'd himself. Was already hard enough to like the guy after watching a couple of those red bull vids he was doing.

Reactions: Aruka and rts265

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
"To sit inside him at Pipe on a west swell and watch the crowd part—reverently, not fearfully—as he chipped in to a twilight second reef grower was to witness the most gorgeous poise and control under pressure and a deceptively zen economy of movement. "

"I’d enjoyed a few brief encounters with Uncle Derek over the years, exchanged pleasantries... in the lineup at Pipe. "

Am I confused? I could have sworn I'd seen some video of Ashton surfing, and it didn't look like he had any place at Pipe. But he's been rubbing shoulders with Derek Ho at Pipe on a second reef day?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
He's a kook. He gets to rub elbows with the greats because the greats still need to suck the surf industry's tit to pay rent and buy weed.
Why don't they grow their own?

@casa_mugrienta He went wrong when his parents named him "Ashton." That set the trajectory of his life.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
On a cringe scale of 1 -10 this is an 11.

I kinda cringed at this white guy saying "uncle Derek" like 30 times, and the name dropping, but other than that I thought it was a pretty candid (and respectful) recounting on his encounters with and observations of Derek.
Maybe i'm just naive?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Ashton smack down guy named Chaz.

Why is it that every time a "surfer" throws a "punch" on video, it looks like a little girl who's brother took her crayon? :LOL:
Wrist control follow up from skinny there is interesting. He might have been ready to go.
Pyzel doesn't look like he likes those guys.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
If when writing a eulogy you reference yourself beyond stating “I am humbled to give this eulogy”, you need to stop, and reconsider said eulogy.

it weirdly happens too often. Ask someone for a thoughtful passage about someone and they instead write about their own experience with that person.

I often hear this in wedding toasts, too.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Why is it that every time a "surfer" throws a "punch" on video, it looks like a little girl who's brother took her crayon? :LOL:
Wrist control follow up from skinny there is interesting. He might have been ready to go.
Pyzel doesn't look like he likes those guys.
Right hand sucker punch square on the jaw and the skinny punk didn’t even wobble. That is some weak ass sh!t.

Beanie boy is lucky he punched a pussy.

Reactions: dunnder