Alex Knost?

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
I have a friend who a team manager, he always told me that if you see someone really talented who doesn't have a big sponsor, then there's a reason. And if you see someone who maybe isn't as talented but has a big sponsor, then there's a reason too. And the reasons are that nobody wants to travel with a dickhead and nice guys get kept around, respectively.
He travels with the right people and does drugs with the right people. He has money and spreads it around. That is all.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
I have a friend who a team manager, he always told me that if you see someone really talented who doesn't have a big sponsor, then there's a reason. And if you see someone who maybe isn't as talented but has a big sponsor, then there's a reason too. And the reasons are that nobody wants to travel with a dickhead and nice guys get kept around, respectively.

since this thread was about a.k. no longer being with rvca or whoever, you’re not saying
he got dropped for being a dkhd, are you?

fwiw, there was a guy who used to post here,
whose opinion i respected, and he knew knost, and said he was a very decent kid in real life...

everyone is fair game to be made fun of though.

or worse!

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I used to be a Knost hater, but I changed my mind! He is what more aspiring surfers should be like. Carving out a niche and being his own brand instead of trying to suck off some Billabong cock on the QS and then get dropped after 3 years.

Also he gave some insight on the Kelly wavepool that was neat. The changes in the wave ("sections") doesn't show up in front of you, they come at you from underneath, so it's different and hard to surf there.

nrthcty

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 30, 2009
N.S.D
The changes in the wave ("sections") doesn't show up in front of you, they come at you from underneath, so it's different and hard to surf there.

Hadnt heard that till now but the explanation is spot on - been to SR 2 times and agree - wave looks so perfect, but definitely hard to learn it

Reactions: Ifallalot

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
The changes in the wave ("sections") doesn't show up in front of you, they come at you from underneath, so it's different and hard to surf there.

Hadnt heard that till now but the explanation is spot on - been to SR 2 times and agree - wave looks so perfect, but definitely hard to learn it
Off topic, but it is also so that if you get caught in the whitewater you can't get back to the front of the wave? It happened many times during the comps.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
I saw Iggy dive bare-chested onto a bunch of lightbulbs.
He then formed a conga line and wizzed on a big-wigs desk then the lights came on.

• Haha
Reactions: JBerry

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
since this thread was about a.k. no longer being with rvca or whoever, you’re not saying
he got dropped for being a dkhd, are you?

fwiw, there was a guy who used to post here,
whose opinion i respected, and he knew knost, and said he was a very decent kid in real life...

everyone is fair game to be made fun of though.

or worse!
My post right above that said he's one of the nicest "pros" you could meet.

He got dropped because COVID, like a lot of pros.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
I saw Iggy dive bare-chested onto a bunch of lightbulbs.
He then formed a conga line and wizzed on a big-wigs desk then the lights came on.
o.k.

let’s turn this into a bad boys from michigan thread - maybe alex will read it & like it!

1973, me and three of my delinquent friends drove up in a nasty snowstorm, in my friend’s
dad’s big pontiac, to port chester, ny - right near conn. to see a triple bill: the diktators,
the stooges, and bluoystercunt (?!)

we were stooges fans! (as you should have been - instead of getting all sappy with the eagles...) since it was a blizzard, when we got to the theatre hardly anybody was there yet. my friends were all psyched to get front row seats - i was like “no way”! i’d seen the stooges a couple of years before, at the old sunshine inn, in asbury, and mayhem was inflicted on the cattle close to the stage!!

so we sat 4th row center. close enough my friends! and a bit later it started to fill in. there was a group of four nerdy looking shlubs who sat down front row center - i was telling my buddies “bad move, trust me...wait and see”. they looked like guys possibly from the yeshiva...

the diktators were all wise-ass jews from the bronx. this was before their record came out.
later on they’d play cbgb’s a lot. i think b.o.c. were mostly jewish guys too...

so stooges came on second. iggy was dressed in a full body black leotard, with a skimpy hula skirt made out of what looked like white crepe paper. band kept playing the opening riff to raw power over and over while ig pirouetted across the stage like a super-froot!

they played a couple of numbers, then iggy stopped and started looking out into the audience, really f-ing pissed off. he started in on what would be several long, nasty harangues aimed at the paying customers:

“sh:t! look at this fukking sty - i’ve never seen so many fvkking swarthy bastards!”...

“you fukking swarthes”...

“all you mustachioed young hebrews”...

and on and on...

over and over...

we were like “wtf? does he think he’s in berlin? during a couple of his rants he stuck the mike stand between his legs and jiggled the mike in the faces of the front row nerdy guys. they looked horrified, but they sat there and took it. (?) they stayed for the whole set too - i guess they really wanted to see boc?

this is what kind of jerks we were then though. since it was blizzarding out most folks didn’t make it to the second show, so we got to stay for all three bands second sets. and we thought that was cool. ig piped down a bit second time around, james williamson was on fire on guitar, and the stooges rocked!

on the way home in the snow, my friend side-swiped another car and did a spinner, but we survived the political incorrectness of the mighty stooges!

:jamon::drowning:

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
That's right, Kenny (RIP) wrote that the Knost family always treated him well.

Interesting that rvca dropped Alex, but kept Ford ~ although it's safe to say that alex was pulling down a considerably larger salary, 100k/year pre-covid?

</end pro ho fan boi>

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
o.k.

let’s turn this into a bad boys from michigan thread - maybe alex will read it & like it!

1973, me and three of my delinquent friends drove up in a nasty snowstorm, in my friend’s
dad’s big pontiac, to port chester, ny - right near conn. to see a triple bill: the diktators,
the stooges, and bluoystercunt (?!)

we were stooges fans! (as you should have been - instead of getting all sappy with the eagles...) since it was a blizzard, when we got to the theatre hardly anybody was there yet. my friends were all psyched to get front row seats - i was like “no way”! i’d seen the stooges a couple of years before, at the old sunshine inn, in asbury, and mayhem was inflicted on the cattle close to the stage!!

so we sat 4th row center. close enough my friends! and a bit later it started to fill in. there was a group of four nerdy looking shlubs who sat down front row center - i was telling my buddies “bad move, trust me...wait and see”. they looked like guys possibly from the yeshiva...

the diktators were all wise-ass jews from the bronx. this was before their record came out.
later on they’d play cbgb’s a lot. i think b.o.c. were mostly jewish guys too...

so stooges came on second. iggy was dressed in a full body black leotard, with a skimpy hula skirt made out of what looked like white crepe paper. band kept playing the opening riff to raw power over and over while ig pirouetted across the stage like a super-froot!

they played a couple of numbers, then iggy stopped and started looking out into the audience, really f-ing pissed off. he started in on what would be several long, nasty harangues aimed at the paying customers:

“sh:t! look at this fukking sty - i’ve never seen so many fvkking swarthy bastards!”...

“you fukking swarthes”...

“all you mustachioed young hebrews”...

and on and on...

over and over...

we were like “wtf? does he think he’s in berlin? during a couple of his rants he stuck the mike stand between his legs and jiggled the mike in the faces of the front row nerdy guys. they looked horrified, but they sat there and took it. (?) they stayed for the whole set too - i guess they really wanted to see boc?

this is what kind of jerks we were then though. since it was blizzarding out most folks didn’t make it to the second show, so we got to stay for all three bands second sets. and we thought that was cool. ig piped down a bit second time around, james williamson was on fire on guitar, and the stooges rocked!

on the way home in the snow, my friend side-swiped another car and did a spinner, but we survived the political incorrectness of the mighty stooges!

:jamon::drowning:
its hazy but i think it was summer of '74 at Sunshine Inn in Asbury Park.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
its hazy but i think it was summer of '74 at Sunshine Inn in Asbury Park.
it was 1970 when i saw them there. that was before i got my driver’s license.

it’s possible that they played there again in ‘74 though... iirc, that place used to be a bus garage... what a dump!

but some pretty big bands played there... :p

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
like BACHMAN TURNER OVERDRIVE.

I think (still hazy) they backed up 10cc.:ban:
that would’ve been a really weird bill! :roflmao:

b.t.o. - does anyone remember them? there used to be so many incongruous bookings back then...

around that time, at the acadamy of music in nyc, i saw slade :foreheadslap:, backed up by black oak arkansas:loser::loser:. (what happened to the puke emoji?)... i have no idea why i went to that!?

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Funny someone wondered WHAT drugs he likes.
When I first clicked on this thread, unfamiliar with any idea who/what the guy was all about, I watched the clip. I was particularly impressed with the guys surfing mannerisms, to an extent I can feel a lot of the stuff he's doing, and that's not usually the case watching that kind of longboarding,(twinkle-toes in small rollers).
I thought to myself "Why am I relating to this?"I decided at some point in his formative years, the guy probably used to take LSD and surf. Or mushrooms, lots of mushrooms something like that and probably reefers too.
I feel ya buddy, I think it's wicked rad, honestly. I wish I could do that, and I would.