#boatlife

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
My wife loves being on a boat... I have zero interest unless it’s a means to a desired end.

I’ll save several good stories of us battling over this very issue. In the end, I’m not going to be her boat captain. No way.

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
2001 Mercury 4 stroke, single carb. Didn't replace the jets, but replaced fuel lines, cleaned out the carb multiple times, am always changing the fuel. Using 91 octane. Last time it didn't want to start, it sat for a month. I put in Sea Foam fuel stabilizer. Didn't matter. Replaced the fuel, took apart/cleaned the carb, and it did the trick. PITA to have to deal w/ when we don't take it out every week.
yeah that sucks. some carbs/fuel systems are just finicky and some aren't. Seen that with boats and motorcycles.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
2001 Mercury 4 stroke, single carb. Didn't replace the jets, but replaced fuel lines, cleaned out the carb multiple times, am always changing the fuel. Using 91 octane. Last time it didn't want to start, it sat for a month. I put in Sea Foam fuel stabilizer. Didn't matter. Replaced the fuel, took apart/cleaned the carb, and it did the trick. PITA to have to deal w/ when we don't take it out every week.
I had an old dirtbike that did the same thing.

Turn off your fuel and let the motor run itself to a stop when you are ready to put it away. That seemed to do the trick for me.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Dream girl right there, and dream life. I kick myself for not just going for that in the mid 90s, although you couldn't make money off youtube like those kids can now. Different times for sure.
Back in the early 90s, a friend (who had moved out from Chesapeake Bay to San Francisco in late 80s) came into ownership of 3 watercraft of various sizes when his grandfather died and left them to him.

He sold two, and started trying to find a crew that could take the time to go through the Panama Canal or around Cape Horn.

I volunteered with the understanding that all I brought was ability to swim, read, follow orders, and $2000 for supplies.

He found no one else and then his wife came down with a serious case of pregnancy, so he sold the remaining ship and there went my chance for a great adventure.

Last edited:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Looks like an old half tanner. My boat, CF27, was a similar boat. I'll bet your dad wasn't planning on giving aboard that one.
Nice boat!
nope not living on it at all! well maybe when my mom really pissed him off haha. Him and buddies raced this one.
Just found some old pics and this one popped out.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Nice boat!
nope not living on it at all! well maybe when my mom really pissed him off haha. Him and buddies raced this one.
Just found some old pics and this one popped out.
The photo is not mine but same model. Are you in the UK? Just noticed the RORC. Also I think the boat is a Camper Nicholson which were not sold in the USA.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Just looked at a Hobie cat 16 today that I might pick up for some fun.
I had so much fun on a Hobie. One time we were romping around LA Harbor and then the wind suddenly died. We had launched at Cabrillo Beach (Hurricane Gulch) but were near the oil islands (near Los Alamitos Bay) when the wind died. I'd say well over five miles from our launch. Took. We each got on a hull and started paddling. We must have paddled over an hour and were still a long, long way off, and the sun was starting to set. Lucky for us, at that point a Harbor Patrol boat came and towed us the rest of the way back.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
My wife loves being on a boat... I have zero interest unless it’s a means to a desired end.

I’ll save several good stories of us battling over this very issue. In the end, I’m not going to be her boat captain. No way.
purchased my first boat 6mos ago: '86 Catalina 36. It's basically my anchor in San Diego, and my fiancée loves it. While I mostly echo your sentiment, I'm starting to come around, despite it being a money pit. my friends love it, and I get to surf while she drinks on the boat and nests. She's holding up her end of the bargain, too, and doing most of the maintenance - she replaced the engine starter motor last month.

I'm more into the dinghy that she bought, a nice 12' aluminum bottom zodiac. can't wait to upgrade the engine to 15-20 hp. my nissan 10 hp 2-stroke won't plane with > 2 dudes in the boat.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
The coldest and most miserable I have ever been in my entire life has been out on a boat in the middle of the freaking ocean. With no end in sight. Sure, a boat can get you to places that are heaven on earth. Until the freaking hurricane shows up. Then you're back out at sea trying to remember what it was like to take a pee standing up instead of sitting down on a toilet seat that is dropping out from underneath you unless you hold on for dear life. And then someone tells you you need to get topside and take the jib down and reef the main. The smell diesel permeates everything below decks. Sign up to crew for some asshole before you buy into the dream.

P I S S is censored? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: