Snorkeling spots

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
You want to be neutrally buoyant at half the depth of your intended dive while freediving. Spearfishing I would err towards being neutrally buoyant at close to the depth you're trying to fish at.

Overweighting kills.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
You want to be neutrally buoyant at half the depth of your intended dive while freediving. Spearfishing I would err towards being neutrally buoyant at close to the depth you're trying to fish at.

Overweighting kills.
that smart advice for cortez, tanner etc but shore dives and 0-50’ I wanna be neg buoyant around 4-5’ after I pike and make about 2 kicks and do 0 work to get to depth X

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
that smart advice for cortez, tanner etc but shore dives and 0-50’ I wanna be neg buoyant around 4-5’ after I pike and make about 2 kicks and do 0 work to get to depth X
Sure hope I don't ever have to read your obituary following a freedive accident. Negatively buoyant at 4-5' is reckless.

Reactions: _____

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Do you wear weights if your goal is to return with a fish?

Is spear fishing diving a separate hobby entirely?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
does anyone here spearfish around the LA area?

I want to try it out, but I'm not keen on going out solo....

Reactions: ~rwright~

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
does anyone here spearfish around the LA area?

I want to try it out, but I'm not keen on going out solo....
ooh, get a current MPA map. A lot of Pt Dume to around Encinal Cyn is protected for fishing now but you can dive. Some areas allow spearfishing only for some species. Easy to just ask a F&G warden if you see one, but you gotta know where that line is.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Spearboard has some good people, but is sorta like the design forum here, and participation is down. I used to read the viz report threads when they were active. Best zero effort intel on the interwebs.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
jay z, are you hitting the hill at all?

sacred cove...
Yeah, but you got's to be nekkid.
Anyone here besides me ever surfed there? Both sides, the left and the right. Pro tip - the wave is not good and the water is colder than everywhere else around.

What about Rat Point? Access gets no easier.

I want to know about the jump rocks...I fkn love jumping off things in to water
This is at Sacred's Cove

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: afoaf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
holy sh!t....I didn't even think of that spot...

last time I was there the surf was surging through and I thought
it would be fun to go back and swim through the tunnel when it
was flat

I didn't know that was a nude beach....makes sense though...it's a bit
of a haul to get down to...especially with the small lot closed

there are a ton of seals that camp out there.....dicey

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
looking at pictures from my 2021 trip down in cozumel and holy crap i need to go back...

went on a drift dive with a bunch of SCUBA folks and one of the girls snapped this one and emailed it to me later that week. not a great pic but probably the funnest freediving sessions of my life. the water was just the most insane electric blue i've ever seen. pictures and words just don't even touch it.

1684345783485.png

on the boat ride out i was standing on the deck by myself eavesdropping on the rookie SCUBA customers (who were completely ignorant of freediving) mocking me as the "snorkeler who must have gotten lost and wound up on the dive boat instead of the snorkeling tour"

on the boat ride back they were treating me like Neptune incarnate

i like rookies

:cool:

Last edited:

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Like $40 to get in?
$25. Getting a reservation is the bigger challenge.

Hanauma Bay Info

Hanauma Bay Ticket Site. Online reservations can be made 2 days in advance starting at 7:00am Hawai‘i Standard Time (HST)

220611_Hanauma_6.jpg

220611_Hanauma_1.jpg

Reactions: One-Off

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Eleuthera in the Bahamas is the best snorkeling I've done. The sea life and visibility there is off the charts. Tres Palms in Puerto Rico has incredible coral but not as much sea life as Eleuthera. There are always friendly sea turtles to be found at Tres and rental equipment is close by. Video screen grab. This turtle hung around for a good half hour.

Capture.jpg