Von Sol Shadow: Review and Pics

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
@aldo there’s definitely a wing on the 2nd incarnation of our lord and savior shadow, but was led to believe that it wasn’t a Patrick Ewing.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
OG Shadow is a great board. Haven't owned one is years. But mine went well with stiletto quads and as a twin/trailer. Shadow 2 felt more HP with a pulled in nose and more rocker, foil looked a bit different too. OG Shadow has a flat deck and full rails.
Basically, this. There are a couple at Surfride now. At the same length, the Shadow2 has a more pulled in nose and tail, no e-wing, and is a bit more foiled in the rails. Probably a good next step up if you like the original. IMO.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
@aldo there’s definitely a wing on the 2nd incarnation of our lord and savior shadow, but was led to believe that it wasn’t a Patrick Ewing.
Possibly. I have a stretch time machine which kind of looks like the stap2 without the Ewing.
Im covered But wouldn’t mind taking one for a paddle.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Ever rode OG shadow as straight twin w/ fish keels? Should I use a trailer like that or just respect the twin?? Rode it as a quad after mostly riding thrusters all year and it wanted to skip out on late OH-ish takeoffs where I really didn't see that coming. Failed to set the rail after the free-fall, I was on auto surf, just doing what I do to readdress the wave after recovering from the takeoff(think late drops with offshores battered by buckets of spray in the face) and twice I completely skipped out, over-squirrel style. Hadn't done that for a long time, since before I quit drinking. I didn't just eat the humble pie, I rubbed into all my orifices and stuff I can't even share with you in good conscience, women and children and all that. Uncool.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Initial impressions of my new to me epoxy Shadow twin stap round tail (6'6" x 21 3/4" x 2 3/4") - my dims are 6'0" x 190 ish lbs.

I have been wanting a stap twin for a while and this one seemed a bit beefy to me but I figured it was worth a shot. I wanted a twin that could handle bigger days at my local mushy reefs that occasionally have sections that stand up and almond barrels when then stars align. With the width and thickness of this board I think that upper end may be an issue but only one way to find out. I bought a manta with the same mindset as a super groveler and it has impressed me so much in performance and construction that I have a lot of faith in VS right now. For it's size the board is quite light and the construction is clean. It came with Mattison's all glass twins that have an outline I find really pleasing to the eye.

My only surf on it so far was at a reef left with a small amount of swell, just enough to make some occasionally shoulder high waves that even more rarely ran down the reef, but most good for a single turn followed by a cut back. The conditions started glassy, become lumpy as a squall hit, then turned clean again.

I really clicked with the board from the first wave, the board has tons of glide and was a wave catching machine in these conditions. Up and riding I found it had tons of projection while still being easy to initiate turns. I was also pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to put on rail given it's girth. These were not the conditions I got it for size wise but it was actually a ton of fun. Hopefully it can handle the larger waves I have in mind (whenever they decide to come around again).

Attachments

Reactions: jkb and oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Initial impressions of my new to me epoxy Shadow twin stap round tail (6'6" x 21 3/4" x 2 3/4") - my dims are 6'0" x 190 ish lbs.

I have been wanting a stap twin for a while and this one seemed a bit beefy to me but I figured it was worth a shot. I wanted a twin that could handle bigger days at my local mushy reefs that occasionally have sections that stand up and almond barrels when then stars align. With the width and thickness of this board I think that upper end may be an issue but only one way to find out. I bought a manta with the same mindset as a super groveler and it has impressed me so much in performance and construction that I have a lot of faith in VS right now. For it's size the board is quite light and the construction is clean. It came with Mattison's all glass twins that have an outline I find really pleasing to the eye.

My only surf on it so far was at a reef left with a small amount of swell, just enough to make some occasionally shoulder high waves that even more rarely ran down the reef, but most good for a single turn followed by a cut back. The conditions started glassy, become lumpy as a squall hit, then turned clean again.

I really clicked with the board from the first wave, the board has tons of glide and was a wave catching machine in these conditions. Up and riding I found it had tons of projection while still being easy to initiate turns. I was also pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to put on rail given it's girth. These were not the conditions I got it for size wise but it was actually a ton of fun. Hopefully it can handle the larger waves I have in mind (whenever they decide to come around again).
Well, you're a midlength guy now.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA

Sounds like a fun one. I seriously considered buying that board (think I may have offered a trade?? lol) as it looks
like it'd work in a huge range of surf. Stoked for you.

• Love
Reactions: MathDebater

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
LOL. I'm just bustin his balls.
I mean, I ride a friggin 6'4 twin egg nowadays. After riding only <5'9 fishy boars for years now, it certainly "feels" like a ML!
Agreed. I haven't had anything above 5'10 that isn't a good wave board in years so this feels like a full on mid for me. I gotta say, it's pretty nice. Let the wave hogging commence!

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I like it up to a point maybe 2' OH & especially in wind I will wish I grabbed something else. The 6'6" is about 4-6" too much for me @190lb nekkid currently I think it's too big but wearing all the rubber now it's the closest thing I have to a daily driver.
It's not the answer, but a good reference point as very different than everything I was ever used to, that no longer works the way it ever did.

Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Haven't seen this Shadow thread in some time. Still a great bort for most conditions other than thumping barrels.