Cold water ear issues?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Cant seem to find plugs that fit/stay in, anybody dry their ears with hair dryer?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Surf ears comes in set to fit ear properly with out custom. Worth the $$$ great customer service even if you get off amazon.
I've been using sets of these for the last year-ish. Never tried true surf ears. These are the old style and seem similar. They're fine. Not sure they're better than the christmas tree looking earplugs I used to use.

High speed crashes foiling makes me lose the front ear plug though. (haven't lost one on a regular board) Sometimes I find it, sometimes I don't. I bought a 3 pack. I've lost 2 right plugs .

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Do not drill, I repeat, do not drill.

Earplugs, alcohol + have your wax sucked out every few months.

Unless your hearing is severely affected, surgery is risky and can make things worse.

Loss of hearing, tinitus and other weird problems.

Wish I never did it. :((((

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm probably about the same as you. Get water trapped in ears after most sessions, but not bad enough yet to get surgery. Bad news: It's gonna keep happening unless you wear plugs. Good news: plugs have gotten a lot better recently. IMO, SurfEars are worth the money over Macks. You can actually still hear in the water. The key is to nail down the fit with their different sized (S, M, L) components, which may take a couple sessions to dial it in.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I've got a set of custom earplugs after the surgery.
Amazing fit, 100% dry and they let the sound thru.

Not cheap but totes worth it if you value your hearing.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I've got a set of custom earplugs after the surgery.
Amazing fit, 100% dry and they let the sound thru.

Not cheap but totes worth it if you value your hearing.

$200 no leash? Fit perfect never come loose even on big days? I was told dryness or wetness is not the problem its the wind and cold air that causes surf ear which truckers get as well on the road.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
$200 no leash? Fit perfect never come loose even on big days? I was told dryness or wetness is not the problem its the wind and cold air that causes surf ear which truckers get as well on the road.
No leash and they will never come out. They sit in your ear canal pretty deep and are custom fit to your ears so there's no wiggle room at all.

You do have to have the ear imprint done, which is not super expensive.

The problem with Surf Ears is exactly that, they let the wind through. I still use them in warm water.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I'm 32 and I'm hoping by 40 my ears have sealed themselves up entirely and become essentially balance tools. Don't want to hear any more bullshlt.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
No leash and they will never come out. They sit in your ear canal pretty deep and are custom fit to your ears so there's no wiggle room at all.

You do have to have the ear imprint done, which is not super expensive.

The problem with Surf Ears is exactly that, they let the wind through. I still use them in warm water.
What do you consider warm water? I seem to get a good seal and hear very little sound but not sure if that equals good wind blockage. I surf in Southern CA 805 and Spring is usually coldest winds but 55 is average cold sometimes dips down in Some Winters.

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Listen to me... DO NOT GO UNDER THE DRILL! I had my right ear drilled exactly eleven years ago today at UCSD medical center and have had nothing but problems in that ear ever since. First off the post surgery recovery is an absolute b#tch. I couldn't open my mouth or eat for 2 weeks or cough/sneeze due to tmj joint swelling. The real fun started about a year later with severe vertigo attacks, constant tinnitus, equilibrium issues, and loss of hearing. My overall quality of life has been negatively impacted up until this day all because my doctor diagnosed my exostosis as severe which he stressed required essential surgery. Only if I knew then what I know now. I truly believe my ear would of been fine if I decided against the surgery and just started using plugs. Listen to what everyone is telling you, start wearing plugs ASAP and avoid the drill at all costs. You don't want to be the kook below!

7/23/2009 Stocked while flying high
SurfersEar.jpg

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i didn't really have a choice. Mine had gotten so bad that the growth was puncturing my ear drum. I have not had any of the aforementioned problems, 4 months later. feels fine, drains fine, doesn't fill up with water etc. I still use the Swim ear drops after every shower or surf or swim, just to dry them both out. I think some surgeons have gotten WAY better at this just in the last few years. the surgeon who did my ear had done hundreds of the procedures. Expert in the field. Said she had never operated on a more severe case than mine, humble brag

Reactions: Geopac

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I got both drilled and it didn't take long to grow back without wearing ear plugs or a hood. Now I do all the time.
Get your ears cleaned by an ENT if you can. It's crazy what they pull out of there.
Debrox - It turns ear wax into almost liquid and it will work it's way out along with other crap
Swirl a q-tip saturated with alcohol in your ear (don't shove it back there) after surf.
If water gets in and doesn't come out, anti-swelling stuff often works. Do it before it gets infected for weeks or months.
Macks Aqua block plugs fit and never fall out of my ears (Doc's always fall out).

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
the alcohol evaporates
it took my three ENT's before someone would listen that for me, the alcohol goes past the ear drum and causes the worst pain you've ever felt in your life.

It wasn't as obvious as it sounds until i wiped out and really enlarged the hole.

I had a hole in my ear drum at the top of the drum in a weird place for like 10 years - a few dr's told me my ear drum was fine but i should look into drilling. Drilling would solve my constant ear infections and weird pressure issues.

After a tympanoplasty my ears feel ok in the ocean and i'm not in a world of pain if my silicon ear plugs come out. so fucking nice to not have to go back to the car or home when i forget my ear plugs

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
What do you consider warm water? I seem to get a good seal and hear very little sound but not sure if that equals good wind blockage. I surf in Southern CA 805 and Spring is usually coldest winds but 55 is average cold sometimes dips down in Some Winters.
Between 70° and 80° I wear SurfEars unless it's really windy or air is cold.
Sometimes I use customs in one ear and something else in the other, depends on the wind or how my ears feel.

For body surfing, always full silicone custom plugs.