I really like this pop top option

the high transit roof is too much - not sure if I could swing a medium

the pop top concept seems to be a good way to keep it sleek on the road
and roomy for living...I guess it kind of makes it hard to go stealth mode
while being able to stand up inside.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I drove the medium roof extensively. Wasn’t too bad but when it’s windy it makes your asshole clench. It blows the car all over the road

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I drove the medium roof extensively. Wasn’t too bad but when it’s windy it makes your asshole clench. It blows the car all over the road
Bigger tires, stiffer springs and bigger antisway bar? I know these upgrades make a world of difference on a vanagon. The sway bar however is detrimental to offroad performance.

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
Been following this guy on Youtube. He bought an older, Ford Econoline van and did a 4XD conversion to it. A base platform, he's building it out as he goes. Very cool.

<iframe width="727" height="409" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had this idea - I got as far as buying my ideal E250 ... low miles, great shape. tore it down and started tallying up my build costs... scrapped the idea and put a few lokboxes over the wheel wells, couch from IKEA and a nice inverter. I'm done.

I'll by a professionally built Agile van (financed on a RV loan) if I want something like this. it's a sh!t ton of work and money.

thanks for the youtube link!

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
ahhh, I see

I really like this pop top option

the high transit roof is too much - not sure if I could swing a medium

the pop top concept seems to be a good way to keep it sleek on the road
and roomy for living...I guess it kind of makes it hard to go stealth mode
while being able to stand up inside.
I agree. i used to think that I didn't like the idea of the Pop top because of lost stealth factor and possible break factor ...

but after owning a van I've run into occasional height clearance issues in my normal height Econoline, I could see myself driving a sprinter into a parking garage.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Bigger tires, stiffer springs and bigger antisway bar? I know these upgrades make a world of difference on a vanagon. The sway bar however is detrimental to offroad performance.
We did the suspension, but I didn't add the rear sway bar. Wanted the clearance and didn't want to be under the van anymore. Drove through some 40 mph side gusts last week through Utah. Both hands on the wheel. Nerve wracking. Not sure the westy would have fared any better.

Something to consider: when you pull into camp late, it's nice not to have to set anything up (tent, pop-top, whatever). We just pull out the telescoping bed platform over our cabinets in the back; swivel the front seats; and then lay out our tri-fold mattresses. Groms sleep across the front seats and bench seat on mattresses. Wife and I sleep on mattresses on the raised platform in back.

Standing in the van is great for anyone who is old like me or has a bad neck/back. Don't forget that building the floor, subtracts some of the clearance in the van. I did stock rubber/denim mat, plywood subfloor, waterproof home flooring pad, vinyl plank flooring. My wife and I are short, so our medium roof is perfect.

Reactions: One-Off

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com

This was the last Westy I had before we left California. An 87 Syncro with locking rear differential, driveshaft decoupler adn an Adventurewagen high roof and a rear facing jump seat. I looooooooved being able to stand up in that thing and still have all the Westy room/layout. I never, ever, never should have sold this thing. I'd also added a higher HP motor. My wife and I trekked all over America in this thing. I think I sold it in 05 for like $30k. Today it'd be worth probably 65.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

This was the last Westy I had before we left California. An 87 Syncro with locking rear differential, driveshaft decoupler adn an Adventurewagen high roof and a rear facing jump seat. I looooooooved being able to stand up in that thing and still have all the Westy room/layout. I never, ever, never should have sold this thing. I'd also added a higher HP motor. My wife and I trekked all over America in this thing. I think I sold it in 05 for like $30k. Today it'd be worth probably 65.
I was never a big fan of the adventure wagon. Just an aesthetic thing for me. My first vanagon was a Syncro. This was a long time ago and before the #vanlife craze. I bought it for $4000. It had 250,000 miles on it, or as I liked to say- a quarter million miles. I sold it for $5500 a few years later when my mechanic, after replacing a fuel filler hose, told me, "This was the last of this part in North America. They didn't send many of these over and there are not a lot of parts for them." Still, I wonder how much that van is worth now?

Have you ever driven a 1.8t vanagon?