*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Went into my local REI today. It was strange. Had to go one way around store. Up one stairs to top floor, one way there, down back stairs to go down. What struck me was the entire store was about 25% stocked. Empty.
Anything that could share skin contact was virtually gone Employees were like hawks making sure you didn’t touch or try on anything if you weren’t purchasing.
I don’t know how retail will survive this type of set up. As some things can be a better buy if you can handle them, try them on, online retail will surge, but so will returns.....:confused:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Went into my local REI today. It was strange. Had to go one way around store. Up one stairs to top floor, one way there, down back stairs to go down. What struck me was the entire store was about 25% stocked. Empty.
Anything that could share skin contact was virtually gone Employees were like hawks making sure you didn’t touch or try on anything if you weren’t purchasing.
I don’t know how retail will survive this type of set up. As some things can be a better buy if you can handle them, try them on, online retail will surge, but so will returns.....:confused:
It really is absurd.

I've stopped shopping at Trader Joe's over this idiocy.

The one-way aisle thing is just too fcking stupid.

All the employees are busy enforcing the one-way shopping traffic, watching you like a hawk, and therefore not stocking shelves, so 50% of the products are gone by the afternoon.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
About the only people who won't be on lockdown in California are all of the currently freed prison inmates...
Or the people toppling statues.

The smart thing to do is label everything BlackLivesMatter, or somehow associate yourself with BLM in a major, obvious way.

That will make you untouchable.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Los Angeles USD and San Diego USD will be on-line only in the Fall. 2 largest school districts in CA.
Ridiculous. The elementary section should be reopening. This is so very bad for kids.

Joint statement from LA/San Diego Unified essentially said "We're probably giving your child a grossly inferior education right now and we'll know for sure in a decade or two." At least they were honest.

Parents should be given the option.

Epidemiologist spelling it out here, worth reading the whole thing.

Wife's school (private) firmly saying it will do everything they can do to stay in-person. Wife is very happy about that.

Last edited:

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
My dear Bohter,
Those of us that took mathematics in school understand the data, and are very concerned.

Those that didn't study mathematics have their heads burried in the flat earth.
Lets discuss the current media craze of reporting "record new cases"....which....is the reason for the re-tightened mandate in CA right now....as of yesterday....at least that's what the news is saying, right?

So, hypothetically, across the last three months....say April, May & June....I tested 100 people in April, 1000 in May and 10,000 in June.....and these tests returned positive results of 10 in April, 100 in May and 1000 in June. So....following the current reporting method I can claim June had a record number of new cases.....because 1000 in June is a much bigger number than April or May numbers....right? Easy. But misleading. The real question is the size of the problem in the population....which...based on the numbers above did not change....it's 10% in April, May and June. ie....the problem size did not go up as implied by reporting "record new cases".

Everysurfer....do you agree that % positive across time is a better metric as compared to "new cases"? If you agree...no answer required....if you disagree....please respond with a logical rational explanation of why reporting "number of new cases" is meaningful to the problem. While you're at it....also include a synopsis of why this has anything to do with FE (other than to try to make my statements carry less weight when you have no legs to stand on yourself regarding my assertions).

Also....do you know where we can find "% of positive tests" across time data? Linky?

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Lets discuss the current media craze of reporting "record new cases"....which....is the reason for the re-tightened mandate in CA right now....as of yesterday....at least that's what the news is saying, right?

So, hypothetically, across the last three months....say April, May & June....I tested 100 people in April, 1000 in May and 10,000 in June.....and these tests returned positive results of 10 in April, 100 in May and 1000 in June. So....following the current reporting method I can claim June had a record number of new cases.....because 1000 in June is a much bigger number than April or May numbers....right? Easy. But misleading. The real question is the size of the problem in the population....which...based on the numbers above did not change....it's 10% in April, May and June. ie....the problem size did not go up as implied by reporting "record new cases".

Everysurfer....do you agree that % positive across time is a better metric as compared to "new cases"? If you agree...no answer required....if you disagree....please respond with a logical rational explanation of why reporting "number of new cases" is meaningful to the problem. While you're at it....also include a synopsis of why this has anything to do with FE (other than to try to make my statements carry less weight when you have no legs to stand on yourself regarding my assertions).

Also....do you know where we can find "% of positive tests" across time data? Linky?
Simply put, you have a population that you are testing; You test 100 and you get 5 positive tests. That means a 5% infection rate. So you test 200; you get 10 positive tests. Still 5%. That newsman you are getting more positive tests, but not to worry, because the % stays the same. You don't need to know the population. That's basic statistics.

But what is now happening is the % of positive cases is going up. Now for example, the % of positive tests is 10%. That means there are twice as many infected.

You like fishing? You go out today an catch 1 fish in 4 hours. Tomorrow you catch 6 fish in 4 hours. You're going to tell everybody, "wow! the fish are really running!

Same thing with covid . That's the easy part.

The hard part of the conversation is getting you to believe any source of information. Any thing I tell you is going to fall into a pit of disbelief. You will discount if as "biased" or "A hoax" or any other label you want to put on it.

I'm telling you that any profit driven source could be doubted. All those videos you post are driven by ad revenue. Nobody is going to watch a YouTube video saying the earth is round. But if I makje a video saying the earth is flat, or a cure for cancer is drinking bat ****, instantly I'll get clicks from folks who want " the secret your government doesn't want you to know."

So do the smell test. Ask why someone is telling you something.

tRump says what he says for profit. He wants everybody to think all is well so he can get re-elected. Or to keep the stock market up, because that makes him richer. Rich banks loan him money. Rich people buy his condos. Rich people play golf at his resorts. If everyone stays home, donnie goes bankrupt. He fails the smell test.

Now if the CDC tells you the disease is getting worse, or if Fauchi days it is getting worse, give it the smell test. Fauchi keeps his job, only if he is right. His life's work hasn't been to get rich, or he would be in the private sector selling disease cures. Instead his lifes work is to be a civil servant, keeping people disease free.

I'm going to listen to that guy.

Now Fauchi says the rate of infection is going way up. He says that it's going to get really ugly soon.

I'd listen to him and prepare.

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Everysurfer said...
"But what is now happening is the % of positive cases is going up. Now for example, the % of positive tests is 10%. That means there are twice as many infected."

Yet that's not how the numbers are being presented in the headlines.....it's "number of new cases"....
Big difference....
Do you have a source for the data that supports your assertion that the % of positive cases is going up across time?
Show me the data....

And then Everysurfer said...."All those videos you post are driven by ad revenue."
That's a straight up lie....many of these YT content creators are not monitized....or have had their channels "de-monitized" by youtube.....

And then he went off into the political theater weeds.....where's the head slap emoji when you need it?
Maybe this will do....:drowning:

• Dislike
Reactions: afoaf

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Everysurfer said...
"But what is now happening is the % of positive cases is going up. Now for example, the % of positive tests is 10%. That means there are twice as many infected."

Yet that's not how the numbers are being presented in the headlines.....it's "number of new cases"....
Big difference....
Do you have a source for the data that supports your assertion that the % of positive cases is going up across time?
Show me the data....

In thed last month, the rate wentf from 6% to 10%

Interesting that at the early part of the pandemic, when they were short on tests, it was like a 30% infection rate. But that was because they only tested sick people in hospitals. So let's ignore that part of the graph. Since June, theyg opened up testing to everybody. Not just sick people, but anyone who wants a test. Let's just look at that time period. From 6% to 10%. Almost double.

Now do the smell test. Does John Hopkins university make money by giving bad news? No, they profit by being a respected university. I'm going to listen to them.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
And then Everysurfer said...."All those videos you post are driven by ad revenue."
That's a straight up lie....many of these YT content creators are not monitized....or have had their channels "de-monitized" by youtube.....

And then he went off into the political theater weeds.....where's the head slap emoji when you need it?
Maybe this will do....:drowning:
See Bohter, this is where your thinking gets stuck. You'll fight about how much a content maker is getting. Is it ad revenue, is it notoriety so they can later build their brand. Is it just ego that drives them?

You try so hard to believe what you want, and ignore the rest.

I'm sure Auto has a diagnosis for that.