*** Official Fin Thread ***

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Did futures discontinue their rtm tech 1 material?

Edit: it seems you can find tech 1 and 2 on the CI site but not on the futures site.

Last edited:

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Retodd,

Do you think the Captain fin Tyler Warren or Chippa Wilson twin plus trailer would work in a Stretch 2x4? I'm kinda digging this board more as a thruster, what do you think?

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
I liked my 2x4 more as a thruster too

It has pretty healthy tail rocker and vee so it might be to loose and lack drive

Maybe try large sides like Merricks or jjf and a small or medium size center fin in plastic.

Should be pretty fast but a bit more nimble

Reactions: johnson7

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Has anyone had a board they liked paired with the Rasta/Sea Shepard keels? What was placement like?

Im about ready to give up on them.

Wondering if it’s the added toe paired with sitting a bit forward in the boxes.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Kinda a dumb question but what happens if you run a smaller fin for your size will you just slide out on turns? I always have run larges but get free mediums (fcs performers) with new boards but I'm over 210.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Kinda a dumb question but what happens if you run a smaller fin for your size will you just slide out on turns? I always have run larges but get free mediums (fcs performers) with new boards but I'm over 210.
At 210 you're firmly in large fin category IMO. Maybe if you are riding a long, gunny type board with a narrow tail you could get away with medums but even then the Performers wouldn't be a great call for the type of waves you'd likely be riding. Maybe you can trade them to a smaller guy or sell them. They could possibly work as quad fronts or you could try the medium center fin with some large sides to see how that feels in smaller waves.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
On wide tale grovel boards you can run medium performers in all 4 boxes

It feels ok in mushy bumpy surf

The other thing to do is use the medium size center fin with the standard size side fins for a looser / slightly more pasive feeling ride

Reactions: hotCheetos

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Anybody compare the creatures vert larges to the fcs reactor larges? I didn't even know creatures made fins and got a deal on them before they were discontinued. They've been my go to for thruster set up and I was comparing their specs to the fcs data chart and they have exactly the same specs. Are the foils the same? Stocked if they are the same fin, just thought it was strange they have exactly the same dims.

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
I hover between 155-160 and have had the f6, which seemed loose enough. I wouldn’t think to try the f4, but could see sdsfr’s suggestion working for me in boards with less tail rocker

Last edited: