greatest bodyboarding place to live in the world?

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Australia is the best developed surf country no questions.

it has everything, pumping surf,crowded surf, sharky spots, and not so sharky spots. Points, reefs, beach breaks and slabs.

if you’re talking sponging specifically than Sydney through the south coast and south Australia would be perfect. Sharky as though and may or may not be crowded

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I think OZ may be one of the best environments.

<iframe width="727" height="409" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
It’s positive to see that the majority of folks aren’t mindlessly talking trash about Bodyboarding anymore. There was a time where any mention of the sponge was met with hostility from anyone who surfed, especially fu*king posers.

Now, true Bodyboarding is almost an underground scene, and waves everywhere are absolutely jammed with people wanting to surf. The pop out / soft top industry surely fueled this, but I think Surfers themselves, with their decades of shaming Bodyboarding brought it on as well. Surfing is so cool > Bodyboarding is so lame..??.. Well there you go, everyone wants to be a surfer now.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
True Bodyboarding is almost an underground scene.
fixed

Chile, not as cold as it looks in this video. Shoutout to all the local guys I rode with and showed me and my friend around. Friendliest and most stoked group of guys I've ever met, anywhere in the world. Never met guys more happy to share waves. Much mahalo to Chile riders!

Caught inside monster sets at Arica can kill you. No keyhole when it's this big and all big rocks and sharp reef to wash in on. It's intense place to ride.

One of the heaviest slabs is in Iquique. Wave is crazy thick, below sea level, and the reef is razor sharp. 4.33 of video shows how heavy. One of the guys on the trip busted his head on the reef.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019
805bbr.com was the only forum around for ages but died a slow death when everyone got married, had kids, etc. not to mention the sport itself becoming a hobby and most of the bodyboard companies dying. FYI, 90% of the boards in the industry come out of the same two factories. The only other forum I can think of is Sixty40. http://www.sixty40.co.za/forum/category/bodyboarding

I would not compare Chile with the rest of South America. I spent two months there on separate trips and got totally different vibe than Brazil and other SA countries. Go there and see for yourself. Stay in the north half of the coast. Chile coastline is stupid long.
Yeah...sad to hear but im not supprised

How do you figure bodyboardings international future?

I lived in Brazil and Miami, cant say I would want to live in Spanish speaking countries in my later years

Chile is rough on the cannabis i hear

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
It’s positive to see that the majority of folks aren’t mindlessly talking trash about Bodyboarding anymore. There was a time where any mention of the sponge was met with hostility from anyone who surfed, especially fu*king posers.

Now, true Bodyboarding is almost an underground scene, and waves everywhere are absolutely jammed with people wanting to surf. The pop out / soft top industry surely fueled this, but I think Surfers themselves, with their decades of shaming Bodyboarding brought it on as well. Surfing is so cool > Bodyboarding is so lame..??.. Well there you go, everyone wants to be a surfer now.
Maybe on the mainland. Bodyboarding is alive and well in the islands. It was huge when I was growing up in Hawaii during the 90s. In fact, hardly any teenagers surfed mostly because none of us could afford surfboards.

• Love
Reactions: bluemarlin04
Jun 16, 2019

I think that's an American thing

to be honest I've only stood up on a board 3 or 4 times in my life

Bodyboarding feels so much faster and you can do so much more with the board it's truly a radical difference

Rolling through a tube and going under a wave to come out behind it is one of the coolest things conceivable

things like barrel rolls and backflips just aren't possible on a surfboard

growing up poor in Hilo only the rich kids had surfboards

they used to sell this horrible styrofoam piece of crap at the wiki Mart for like 10 bucks

for real body boards were pretty expensive also back in the day so if you got lucky enough at a big tourist Beach you could find one somebody forgot and that was like Christmas

Jun 16, 2019
Maybe on the mainland. Bodyboarding is alive and well in the islands. It was huge when I was growing up in Hawaii during the 90s. In fact, hardly any teenagers surfed mostly because none of us could afford surfboards.
yeah bro totally

I always tell people Hawaii is not the United States not by a long shot

I was in Hilo in the 80s and very few people I knew had surfboards they were only for the richest people

All the poor kids that went to keauu middle we're all about the body board

It's a cultural thing largely precipitated from poverty

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I think that's an American thing

to be honest I've only stood up on a board 3 or 4 times in my life

Bodyboarding feels so much faster and you can do so much more with the board it's truly a radical difference

Rolling through a tube and going under a wave to come out behind it is one of the coolest things conceivable

things like barrel rolls and backflips just aren't possible on a surfboard

growing up poor in Hilo only the rich kids had surfboards

they used to sell this horrible styrofoam piece of crap at the wiki Mart for like 10 bucks

for real body boards were pretty expensive also back in the day so if you got lucky enough at a big tourist Beach you could find one somebody forgot and that was like Christmas
Hahaha. That is a throw back. I remember those foam things from wiki mart.

I remember having my mind blown the first time I rode a proper bodyboard. A T&C DK model that I $165 on. Almost all of the money that I had at the time. Prior to that I had a walmart board that my parents bought me.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Been on a road trip and the South coast of NSW in Australia has a lot of rock shelf/slabs that would make you happy.
100% right Pete. The bodyboard scene in the Illawarra, NSW south coast, is still going strong. I grew up bodyboarding in Cronulla and surfed the Island regularly - that is an incredible wave. I migrated to stand up in the early 90's when the booger scene slowed down. When i moved down here, I couldn't believe how many people still bodyboarded. But then after i explored all the little nuggety reefs and beaches like mystics, it made sense. Lots of guys in their late 40's still doing it regularly. Mike Stewart was out here just last year for a comp. The kneeboard scene is still pretty good down here too - maybe the Illawarra region is like the Bermuda Triangle of surfcraft?

Reactions: npsp and Retropete
Jun 16, 2019
Hahaha. That is a throw back. I remember those foam things from wiki mart.

I remember having my mind blown the first time I rode a proper bodyboard. A T&C DK model that I $165 on. Almost all of the money that I had at the time. Prior to that I had a walmart board that my parents bought me.
Yeah dude me too I remember the first time I got on a real bodyboard

I couldn't believe the difference

It's amazing that nobody has taken the boards to the next level

The standard shape is pretty much perfect but I would definitely deepen the channels and do all kinds of grip bulbs...wax helps but there's nothing like a big bulb to dig into when you're in the white

I end up covering the front end of my board with Gorilla Tape so I don't split the slick from the foam

Bodyboarding is a way more Dynamic Physical exercise than surfing,
it's a completely different experience

I'm only 6 foot but at 300 pounds at 20% I sink like a stone in the water and need a massive bodyboard that just doesn't exist in the industry

I picked up a 50 in Kona and it definitely helps but still doesn't have the kind of float a guy my size needs

I would think at least 54 and nearly double the average thickness and some serious stiffening might do the trick

Too bad nobody makes a beater in a bodyboard configuration