Tai Chi?

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I've recently started and it's kinda blowing my mind.
My fitness and flexibility (and, thus, my surfing) are better than ever right now, but learning about tai chi has made me realize that I'm not actually thinking about my movement.

I mean, with yoga, running and surfing, I'm thinking about the position my body needs to be in, but the process of moving my body to those positions has only been noticed in an incidental way. Tai chi is so slow and makes you focus on every moment of transitional movement. It's pretty rad.

Anyone have any experience or tips? I'm literally just getting started.
Ordered some videos from this guy. My wife and I we talking about how he has the most calming presence, but you watch him move for a few minutes and realize he could probably flip you upside down with just his left pinky.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
For geriatric Asian people only, there are much better ways you can move the body to train for surfing.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It helps your cortical maps and reduces pain if you have it:

I lot of people have fitness problems related to pain and mobility rather than strength and conditioning.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
For geriatric Asian people only, there are much better ways you can move the body to train for surfing.
Meh, Maybe I couldn't stay fit doing only Tai Chi, but i'm looking to it for balance control and presence of movement. I'm pretty fit already, but I'm kinda a spazz and I'm hoping to curb that.

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
do what you love. and remember despite what people say, the best thing for your surfing is.... surfing.

but as a wise man once said, I think it was a fellow named 000... quit surfing for seven years, it will do wonders!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Every physical activity takes an investment in time. You can't do everything. You have to do what you most need. Right now for me that's strength training for my back (deadlifts and squats bro), running for my heart and surfing for my mind.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
my joints actually feel better now that I'm more active... hiking, occasional run, and skateboarding. Slamming when you're old sure sucks though. I got a hipper yesterday that hurts so bad I can't sleep on that side.

• Wow
Reactions: Aruka