Step up logic (not guns)

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
I don't know about that. After growing up surfing Blacks, the only breaks I surfed on the east coast of Oz that felt like they really packed a punch were Angourie and Lennox.

angourie and lennox when they are overhead will kick the sh!t out of you. Big surf on the goldy is heavy. Surf the alley when its double overhead or pumping burleigh or kirra will wreck you.

so much current in fact it is ski required, not optional

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I think step-ups definitely have their place.

Somewhere like Morocco or Jbay with a wall bending away from you. Longer boards absolutely work better in those scenarios because of the longer lines they draw. I wouldn't want to ride a standard length hpsb on those types of waves, nor would I want a legitimate semi-gun.

Reactions: CutnSnip

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
Since we are talking about step ups anyone try a stamps Indo fish? Will a board like that be able to handle when a waves breaks top to bottom at a descent size?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Since we are talking about step ups anyone try a stamps Indo fish? Will a board like that be able to handle when a waves breaks top to bottom at a descent size?

all depends on your ability I reckon. These pros could ride a door in 10 foot first reef pipe. Id rather have a board like the Indo Fish at Uluwatu or Impossibes wheres its a bit almondy rather than at something like Puerto Escondido where even at 6ft id be riding my stepup.

Reactions: MathDebater

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
angourie and lennox when they are overhead will kick the sh!t out of you. Big surf on the goldy is heavy. Surf the alley when its double overhead or pumping burleigh or kirra will wreck you.

so much current in fact it is ski required, not optional
I surfed both in the overhead (Angourie) to double plus (Lennox) range and can certainly confirm that I got the sh!t kicked out of me at both places. Angourie put a huge gash in the rail of my board and Lennox crushed the nose and left my shins bleeding.

Reactions: MathDebater