Ford Transit

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Picked up a ‘20 AWD 148 midroof in March and had Suha Designs in Oceanside build the interior. Completely self contained and powered, pretty much a second home. Now waiting for Van Compass to ship their new AWD lift kit13FDF6F1-BC1B-4BFA-996B-BDCDDBA5F5CF.png66DF285B-2001-4ACE-920E-3DC8BBAD83F2.jpeg699930E2-E47E-4CC5-BDA5-3C34BEE752A3.jpeg72D06104-0608-4C22-A0C6-8CA00CD64ECF.jpeg29148AE7-EA25-495C-B331-E3E891961C8D.jpeg

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
^^^^ this guy just won the internet ^^^^

do you have any details on how weight increased through the build?

Reactions: laidback

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
is that before or after the lift?

that seems like a lot more than I was expecting....

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
is that before or after the lift?

that seems like a lot more than I was expecting....
That’s without the lift...the roof rack is heavy with its full mesh floor(more living space) and solar panels mounted on it, a couple lithium batteries and a 22g water tank adds to the weight878A5F5F-254D-42BB-9F92-128EBAA4498C.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: laidback and afoaf

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Picked up a ‘20 AWD 148 midroof in March and had Suha Designs in Oceanside build the interior. Completely self contained and powered, pretty much a second home. Now waiting for Van Compass to ship their new AWD lift kit
Can you stand up fully erect or have to hunch over? I'm just under 6'1" and like the look of the midroof but the high top may be a better option. Had a killer minivan a while ago that was useful for trips around the state, looking to get something bigger in the future that has more amenities. (y)

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Has anyone seen the NV200 and have any thoughts on RECON campers modifications too it???

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Can you stand up fully erect or have to hunch over? I'm just under 6'1" and like the look of the midroof but the high top may be a better option. Had a killer minivan a while ago that was useful for trips around the state, looking to get something bigger in the future that has more amenities. (y)
I’m 5’9 and can stand up fully. Was wondering if I would be able to after insulation, upholstery and floors were put in. The high roof is a HIGH roof, higher than the Sprinter high roof. Heard from more than a few that wind really affects it. Then if adding a roof rack, it’s really adding to its overall clearance. Glad they do a medium roof, perfect for my height

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I’m 5’9 and can stand up fully. Was wondering if I would be able to after insulation, upholstery and floors were put in. The high roof is a HIGH roof, higher than the Sprinter high roof. Heard from more than a few that wind really affects it. Then if adding a roof rack, it’s really adding to its overall clearance. Glad they do a medium roof, perfect for my height
I have been following some other builds and using wood, while easier, adds weight. If you can go with aluminum it holds weight down but then the cost goes up.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
the front end on that one bothers me....they must be building it on their Titan truck line, right?
Have you seen the NV cargo?

Insert vomiting emoji here.

Great looking van Wax. It'll look even better when you get hiking boots (that's what I call the lift and all terrain tires)...
One ton added with build? I'm curious when you're fully loaded for a trip how all the weight will affect performance and MPG. Also, I assume you'll get larger tires with the lift? That will sap some power too. Let us know.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Rooftop tents.

So popular these days. But you are putting 200 - 300lbs on the top of your vehicle. The worst place for weight. A lot of offroaders are rethinking this these days. One really trick solution if you have a Jeep. https://ursaminorvehicles.com/campers/jeep-camper.html
I was thinking about that with regards Waxur's roof rack.. My vanagon westy is already top heavy. I don't do any heavy offroading in it but have been down a few roads where the lean was disconcerting. On one road, while leaning over in that uncomfortable way, we hit a sand covered boulder and slid sideways about two feet. I was thinking we were going to roll but luck was on our side that day.

Reminds me of something Bill Lee said (I mention this because I know you know Bill Lee). He said, of sailboat performance and weight saving, "if you're willing to spend $100 to save a pound on the deck, you should be willing to spend $1000 to save an ounce at the masthead."

Reactions: afoaf and Leaverite

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I was thinking about that with regards Waxur's roof rack.. My vanagon westy is already top heavy. I don't do any heavy offroading in it but have been down a few roads where the lean was disconcerting. On one road, while leaning over in that uncomfortable way, we hit a sand covered boulder and slid sideways about two feet. I was thinking we were going to roll but luck was on our side that day.

Reminds me of something Bill Lee said (I mention this because I know you know Bill Lee). He said, of sailboat performance and weight saving, "if you're willing to spend $100 to save a pound on the deck, you should be willing to spend $1000 to save an ounce at the masthead."
True. The higher the weight is carried. Bill is a legend around here. COG.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Have you seen the NV cargo?

Insert vomiting emoji here.

Great looking van Wax. It'll look even better when you get hiking boots (that's what I call the lift and all terrain tires)...
One ton added with build? I'm curious when you're fully loaded for a trip how all the weight will affect performance and MPG. Also, I assume you'll get larger tires with the lift? That will sap some power too. Let us know.
Thanks! Looking forward to the “hiking boots” from the Van Compass kit to arrive with Fox Racing shocks. It’ll accommodate 265s with a slight fender trim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaverite

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay

We’re not putting a tent up there. It’s just me and wife so there’s no need for it. We opted for the mesh floor because we can fit chairs and a table up there. Just an additional space to enjoy food and drinks and get better sunrise/sunset views.

Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
We’re not putting a tent up there. It’s just me and wife so there’s no need for it. We opted for the mesh floor because we can fit chairs and a table up there. Just an additional space to enjoy food and drinks and get better sunrise/sunset views.
[/QUOTE
Alot of rigs have a pop up top. With windows mesh, to give more headroom. Some have a drop down bunk bed. No extra weight up high.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Yeah, my ‘90 VW Westy had the full camper setup with pop up. I liked it and was thinking of going that route again on this van through Sportsmobile. But I decided against it because of additional cost, more moving parts that can go bad, losing the ability to stand in my van at any time, losing the full roof rack and losing the overhead cabinets/storage with a pop up. Among the pros of a pop up are lower clearance, 2 beds(although sleeping on the top bed in cold weather/snow could be tough), and more ventilation.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
So many options.

The Ursa Minor for a Jeep JL/JK.

I like that.https://ursaminorvehicles.com/campers/jeep-camper.html