*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I appreciate how all the other noise instantly falls away, revealing the real big
underlying thoughts and ideas in your life that need attention
Solo backpacking does this to level that I find hard to put into words.
I loved doing the Trans-Catalina Trail. For my first (and only so far) real foray into backpacking, it was luxurious. 10 - 12 mile days. Places to stop, eat, and drink on the way. Both Little Harbor and Parsons were awesome. Only downside is that you're forced to camp in designated campsites and it's a bit pricey. Oh, and going up Fenceline Road was quite awful. Buffalo Milks at Two Harbors made up for it.

Overall, though, yes, absolutely agreed about getting away from everything and keeping everything simple. Frees the mind from all the extraneous bullshit, of which you realize there is a lot of once you're away from it.

BTW, this is an awesome thread. :shaka:
Dude, that sounds so killer!

Did you have snorkeling gear with you?

Catalina isn't the right place for it, but how about something like this?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Solo backpacking does this to level that I find hard to put into words.

Dude, that sounds so killer!

Did you have snorkeling gear with you?

Catalina isn't the right place for it, but how about something like this?

Just a 12 hour hike can really clean the mind. Hell, just perched off-trail above Ruby Lake in Sierras for an hour or so, zoning, was nice. I could have sat there all day, no food, no water, just take it all in.

1594173579175.png

Would love the opportunity for a solo backpacking trip one of these days, just to clear the head. Lots of quality surf time lately has helped that, especially with almost zero crowds. That hike (I think I can guess where that is) is a great place to get both.

I did not bring snorkeling gear and I regret not doing so. Little Harbor is a great campground and I definitely plan on going back there. Relatively busy but not horrible. Parsons towards the west end though was secluded paradise.

1594173172031.png

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
IMG_2807.JPG
santa barbara back country

IMG_0358.JPG
Piute Pass outside of Bishop,Ca.
IMG_0338.JPG
Tomohawk Lake, Humphries Basin this is a good 6-9 hr hike in from North lake up and over Piute pass (11k ft)
across Humphries Basin. Nice little spot, no fires as its above 10k'. Usually hike in to here day 1. Day hike around the basin
for day 2, then move to a nice spot above the pass. Day 3 hike over and down the pass and head out. Fun 3 nighter!
IMG_0293.JPG
This trip was a 3 day. One of the heaviest thumderstom events I've been thru. Super scary, mega lightining all around.
Pretty much just holes up in my tent after arrival for about 6-8 hrs, waiting for a break. Next day was hot 75-80F and super buggy! Mosquitos were hatching by the millions!! we split a day early, lol, yikes! good times!

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I loved doing the Trans-Catalina Trail. For my first (and only so far) real foray into backpacking, it was luxurious. 10 - 12 mile days. Places to stop, eat, and drink on the way. Both Little Harbor and Parsons were awesome. Only downside is that you're forced to camp in designated campsites and it's a bit pricey. Oh, and going up Fenceline Road was quite awful. Buffalo Milks at Two Harbors made up for it.

Overall, though, yes, absolutely agreed about getting away from everything and keeping everything simple. Frees the mind from all the extraneous bullshit, of which you realize there is a lot of once you're away from it.

I remember when you and your wife did that hike! Fun photo's and essay that you did on the erBB. I watched a YouTube video where some hikers had their backpacks picked up and dropped off at different camp sites on that Catalina hike and I thought of you Kento & Sis, lugging your packs over hill and dale ~ :jamon:

Reactions: Kento and afoaf

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
.I (read: my knees) need trekking poles
I'm with ya on the trekking poles--I've backpacked for 50yrs now and never used poles, I was a skeptic. Then we did the hike up the backside of Kings Peak here in Humboldt (highly recommended, Lost Coast Trail too)...2.2mi, 2000ft up and my friends had poles and I became a fan. I wouldn't go without 'em now.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Sold on trekking poles, sounds like they work for you all. :unsure: could be the answer to my problem.

Love solo hiking, camping. Kinda limit myself to channel islands, for the relative isolation and the nothing that can eat me factor in a way; it's nice to be more nonchalant, eat dried meats, stop and read random places with good views. Problem is my knee.

I'm in killer shape and have no trouble with distance, terrain, altitude, but...i have...i don't know...hockey knee. That's what I've always called it. Playing goalie fvcked my knee up super weird, where it almost never hurts, but randomly gives out and just doesn't function for hours. I've never wanted to be somewhere with bears and unable to walk. Maybe I should bring a weapon.

Beautiful photos everyone *bow down emoji guy* (there's another one we're missing)

Reactions: crustBrother

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Piute Pass is probably the easiest pass to go over on the east side of the Sierras
IMGP1374.JPG

Looking down into Humphreys Basin from Piute Pass
IMGP1381.JPG

Looking across Desolation (not kidding) Lake towards the west
IMGP2412.JPG

Trying to move what looks like a precariously perched erratic...not happening...
IMGP2418.JPG

Eat dinner out of your disc, then some spirited disc golf, then relax
IMGP1423.JPG

Full moon rise over Humphreys Basin
IMGP1424.JPG

Alpenglow on Mt. Humphreys..with full moon on the right
IMGP1432.JPG

OK, last one from that trip..then we went down in the trees and the mosquitos were sooo big
IMGP1477.JPG

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
it seems like there are a lot of options out there for trekking poles

large price range

what do you guys like?

cork handles...carbon fiber...special tips....a compartment to put your weed in?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria

large price range

what do you guys like?

cork handles...carbon fiber...special tips....a compartment to put your weed in?
my knees and lower back prefer the best

Mar 31, 2008
A ton of places disallow those alcohol stoves which is a bummer (if you get caught) and you have to use the screw in canisters.
Also, depending on the area, finding a good spot for a tent AND nearby for a hammock is like winning the lottery.

I use this tent (Zpacks Duplex). It's so damn light, roomy and easy to set up. I have the flex-pole option and rarely use it but it's good if you want freestanding - like in sand where stakes won't really work. Trekking pole setup. I wish I had better pics of just how roomy it is. All of my gear goes in except for food and I can organize everything. Early AM, I pack up and only have to roll up the tent and stick it in the backpack side pocket and I'm on the trail.

View attachment 94066

View attachment 94067
Cottonwood Lake 3?

Reactions: _____

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Flash lights please.

Cutting tool(s) too. (for Eunice)

I have a pair of these.

Small, light, and in a plastic ziplock for water protection because they don't do water perfectly.

Kento said:
Yeah, going to have the break out the "Mr Doof Tortures his Nieces" excursion from last summer.

Now, what hard drive are those photos on?

Last edited:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I've never wanted to be somewhere with bears and unable to walk. Maybe I should bring a weapon.
If I'm in black bear country, I have no concerns other than keeping my food away from them.

When in brown bear country, I carry a 12 gauge with alternating magnum slug/buckshot rounds. Most likely useless, but it sure helped me sleep at night when I was living in a tent up in Alaska.

One bright sunny night I was heading up cross-country to my tent and saw a big fresh steaming pile of bear sh!t. Knew griz was VERY near. Put a slug in the chamber and continued on up to camp singing at the top of my lungs to make sure I didn't surprise it. Next morning two people out for a run on a trail were killed by a bear about 1/2 mile away from where I saw that pile of sh!t.

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Woniya, impressed me with her "home smart" knowledge and skills in building her shelter and the tools, that she decided to bring with her. Food was an emotional roller coaster for her but she did quite well with her finish.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Woniya, impressed me with her "home smart" knowledge and skills in building her shelter and the tools, that she decided to bring with her. Food was an emotional roller coaster for her but she did quite well with her finish.
can you imagine watching your shelter go up in flames!?

devastating

or being told you have to go for health reasons.....oof

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal

large price range

what do you guys like?

I have some basic Black Diamond trekking poles (Trail Back model I think) I purchased probably 12 years ago. Never collapsed unexpectedly, used them on various big day hikes, backpacking trips, snow, summits, and more recently my splitboarding adventures. Getting pretty scratched up but still feel plenty confident using them.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I have some basic Black Diamond trekking poles (Trail Back model I think) I purchased probably 12 years ago. Never collapsed unexpectedly, used them on various big day hikes, backpacking trips, snow, summits, and more recently my splitboarding adventures. Getting pretty scratched up but still feel plenty confident using them.
Costco has some. Not the best but definitely above basic and not $$$$. Worth the price just to try out poles if you've never had them and don't want to spend bookoo bucks. here's 2 pairs for $70 but I think you can get them in store now for $30 1 pair.

When Sport Chalet, man I miss that store, was around you could get some decent mid priced poles as well as all kinds of killer gear!:(