Who else has convinced themselves they need a new board during this Covid-19 downtime?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Put in an order for another Wave Rocket from Xanadu. Got it a couple inches shorter at 5'6", resin leash loop instead of the plug, and some color. He got back recently to the state and was told to expect a 6-7 week turnaround with the color/glassing job if anybodies wondering.
He's good

I have a Viper CT - excellent board in cooking waves.

Attention to detail and the customer.

Xank would be a great East Coast board.

Enjoy.

Reactions: trifish

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Damn, that's harsh CM. I hope mine from the same shaper comes out better.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
An $860 impulse order got me rails like this:

Somehow didn't feel it when I picked up the board and no lights in the showroom. Going to have to contact the shaper.
I don't know you, don't know if I like you ( i might hate you)...I don't know that sander, don't know if I hate him (I might like him), but none of this matters. find the sander and beats the living F()CK out of him for the sake of the shaper, for your sake, for the sake of humanity, for the sake of the good hearted little shop rat sweeping up foam dust one day hoping ot make good baords, for the sake of the hardworking craftsman sanders/builders....and even for the sake of the tweaker sanders who still mamange ot turn out something decent....go beat that piece of sh!t to a bloddy pump, shaprie a swastika on his head, then drop him off in south central. do it for me. do it for you. do it forall of us.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I was trying to figure out the shaper but each photo has a different logo. I wish my shaper could do that.

but seriously, that sucks but its cool they're making it right.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Most recent quarantine quiver additions, acquired as of March.

5'6" Mick Fanning softboard - Eugenie
5'1" ChumLee
5'5" Aipa ModFish (JOJ!!! arrived yesterday morning)
5'2" Chemistry

View attachment 93631
You guys purchase Aipa's locally somewhere in SoCal or ship from Hawaii? Liked some of Akila's shapes but never see them in shops around SD to look at in person. That Aipa and that Chemistry both look hot.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
You guys purchase Aipa's locally somewhere in SoCal or ship from Hawaii? Liked some of Akila's shapes but never see them in shops around SD to look at in person. That Aipa and that Chemistry both look hot.
They ship from Hawaii. A few years ago he shaped a few boards while he was in California for Varial. They're hoping he does the same again next year.

Reactions: trifish
Feb 9, 2019
I just purchased a new Robert's VLAD 6'2". I probably didn't need it but I wanted it, so I bought it since I'm looking forward to some good summer south swells. I have a few other boards that are too small for me now. I'll give them to my son or try to sell. Anyways, I've always been happy with Robert's boards and couldn't go wrong with those dims.
How is the Vlad going for you?

Feb 9, 2019
Please give a review of the Pyzalien 2!

Just picked up my new Maurice Cole Reverse V. Oooh man it feels good. Will try to get some more photos up. Little beak nose. Hard rails. Wish I was a better photographer - hard to get all the nuances to show up in photos.

View attachment 89857
Had any waves on the MC? Margo has been looking great on them

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
It felt great. We had a couple good swells in early spring - but unfortunately waves have been pretty small since then. Just as I was really starting to get used to it. Oh well.

Here's my initial review. It paddles and gets into waves insanely well. The volume up front (it's really noticeable with the beak nose and forward vee) is super stable and feels really good when further up on the board. I rode it in hollow, quick beach break.

It has a really nice amount of drive - but I also felt a bit more pivot than most of my shortboards (in a good way). Just has a nice lively feel underfoot. You don't have to let it "load up" like some full concave boards. You can just start your turns or push it when you need to. I think you can definitely draw some different lines. This also takes a little getting to used to. Overall though, love it and can't wait to ride it some more. Using FCS AM large fins. DHD fins were too big. Have heard smaller fins are generally better in MCs boards.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I don't know you, don't know if I like you ( i might hate you)...I don't know that sander, don't know if I hate him (I might like him), but none of this matters. find the sander and beats the living F()CK out of him for the sake of the shaper, for your sake, for the sake of humanity, for the sake of the good hearted little shop rat sweeping up foam dust one day hoping ot make good baords, for the sake of the hardworking craftsman sanders/builders....and even for the sake of the tweaker sanders who still mamange ot turn out something decent....go beat that piece of sh!t to a bloddy pump, shaprie a swastika on his head, then drop him off in south central. do it for me. do it for you. do it forall of us.
No issues whatsoever with a board from the same shaper that just landed in the mail today.

The quality looks top-notch based on a pretty thorough feel-up today.

Reactions: Aruka

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Interesting. One of the main surf shops in Ventura has strung together a couple of months of all time high sales. I'm buried in cutting. The glasser across the driveway told me he's been stacked with work lately. Several shapers have told me they have far more than normal or normal levels of orders. I don't know how long it's going to last, but everybody seems to be coming here to surf and buy boards. Nobody is working but everybody seems to have the cash for new boards. And they want them NOW.

Reactions: urchined

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
People are making more money on unemployment than they were at their full time jobs.
Surfers dream. Unemployment check coming in, and all the time in the world to surf. Travel by car/bus/train and some plane is allowed in the US.

Reactions: GWS_2

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I believe the above is largely correct. I get claustrophobia every time I get within 1/4 mile of the beach lately.