Foil Session Logs

Mar 20, 2019
Nice! You'll like that setup. Unless you want to make short sharp turns. I've got the same but with the thicker mast.

I may be interested in that 170 fish with the longer mast, depending on the price

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA

I've been wondering lately if being on a foil would be safer in a shark attack. From this story I'd say it's the foil that saved him!

Reactions: grendel95
Aug 14, 2019
Australia
Looking good Greg. Glad to see you back on here regularly. If you get a chance to ride the Axis 760 or 860 I'd love to hear your thoughts. 760 is front wing that Larryfoiler had in his stories I'm assuming.

http://instagr.am/p/CCIqw9yDOCg/
We had a demo 760 at my local last month, I didn't try it but the guys that did were impressed. Turns really well & still pumped enough to connect, would go great with a 90 or 910 also in the quiver.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
First go on the Axis 900, 75 16mm mast, ultra short 370- rear. Started it out about where I place my Lift 200 in the tracks. Caught two waves and came in and moved it back. I kept a tool in my wetsuit for just such an occaision. I ended up moving it back 2 more times too. Dead center of the tracks felt good. I moved it slightly behind there and it might've been better. We'll have to see.

I was purposely surfing a spot that was to high tide, but no one really on that section and a lot of 1 footers to try out the new setup. I've read it a million times before, but high aspect wings are cheat codes. I did what I've never been able to do before. I caught white water on the far, far inside, pumped out over 3 waves past the outside takeoff spot, turned around and caught a wave. I've never been able to pump past the 2nd wave and connect a wave before.

It does turn differently, but at the same time I did a really good frontside re-entry on a pump out. Used the stall speed to my advantage and touched down in the white water, then back on foil to get out of there.

This should keep me busy for the summer.

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
So would you say you like the Axis HA better than the Lift classic?

I am about to pull th rigger on some Lift gear and torn between the surf series and the high aspect. I have only ridden the first gen GoFoil setup I bought off Kaser. It's time for an upgrade!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I've only ridden the classic 200 and 170 fish. The old one piece fuselage is so simple with two screws to connect to mast. All carbon is so light. It really did spoil me. Axis has SO MANY SCREWS! I can see how Axis wins hands down for travel though.

Lift masts do have some flex. You get used to it, but it's there. I haven't had enough time on the Axis to understand the difference of high aspect wings yet. They definitely ride differently. Not sure which is "better" yet.

The trend is for sure moving to high aspect though.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
for me its GL180 because im 240# and i NEED the lift to pump back out cause i like the ability to take off once and be able to catch every wave of the set...GL140 pumps too but for a fatass its a lot of work:p

Reactions: ghostshaper

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I got pretty beat up today in windy windswell beach break. Not used to a wide wing yet. Not selling my lift gear yet.

Mar 22, 2020
I got pretty beat up today in windy windswell beach break. Not used to a wide wing yet. Not selling my lift gear yet.
You will get used to it. I think for bigger days, the wing is a little too power so usually on these days I take off on small one, exit, pump back out and carve onto a bigger one and repeat. Yes on steeper waves you don't get to surf much the wave.
But on small days you will love it, you can also try pumping back out the outside and do downwinder.