Footage of coffin on a JS

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Yeah, man. Parker can’t surf for sh!t. Probably because he still rides those crappy CIs. What an idiot.

He should be smart like his brother and bail on all the people who supported you and helped to get you where you are since you were a child.
I get CI helped him a lot, but there comes a point where you need to do what is best for you.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I like Connor's style. Airs never really appealed to me or impressed me. Every little grom can do ugly looking punts now days. Almost none of them can bury a rail and throw buckets.
Airs are overrated. Conner rips on rail but most of the tour does too now. Why doesnt conner just learn airs so he has that in his arsenal when needed?

Reactions: ANIMA

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Is Zippers a good wave?

The most footage I've seen of anyone surfing it is Pottz, he made it look easy but damn it looks like a hard one
The owner of the company I worked for from 1990-2013 had a house a 5 minute walk from there (Gringo Hill) that I was able to use, so I surfed there and the East Cape quite a bit since I also had access to an F150 and a buggy.

Zippers needs a pretty long period of time of no arroyo blowouts to get good. When a sizable hurricane hits the area, tons of dirt and sand wash out and plug it up. I haven't seen it good in quite a while (15+ years) and how it's been for the handful of times I've been there in the last 10 years, there are better waves to the east. It was never a destination spot, but could get pretty fun. When it was good it reminded me of San Miguel.

The locals are not very friendly if you're a blow through (even if you speak Spanish). They try to regulate Zippers and make the gringos go west to the Rock. I totally get why; the weekend property owners from Gringo Hill acted entitled for too long and were way too competitive when the locals were young and/or learning to surf. More locals are surfing the Rock (La Roca) now when Zippers isn't good.

I was there three years ago with my wife and daughter staying equidistant between Monuments (the marginal fat left off the Cape Hotel) and Zippers and split my time between the two spots for eight days. Every day at the Rock there were at least two gringos getting slapped or punched by different locals. A family of five was gunned down by one of the cartels on the beach in front of the Palmilla two days before we got there as well; yay Cabo!

El Estero, a few miles to the east of Zippers and the Costa Azul area used to be a very good wave, but is a shadow of it's former self. The crazy amount of development including a marina in that area choked off the sand supply and it breaks much closer to the beach now.

There are a couple of close to world class waves pretty deep in the Sea of Cortez pretty past Punta Perfecta (which is not even close to perfect) that work on strong SE (hurricane) swells. I've seen video, but have never caught them anywhere close to their potential.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Aardwolf

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I remember hearing for a contest they had cans of monster filled with water or something.
Rockstar ads are the worst because it always looks like the skater/surfer has a gun to their head lol
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I like Connor's style. Airs never really appealed to me or impressed me. Every little grom can do ugly looking punts now days. Almost none of them can bury a rail and throw buckets.
For me its a combo, I hate when people burn 3 sections just to launch a half rotation frontside
I like a power hack, I also love stylish straight airs etc.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The owner of the company I worked for from 1990-2013 had a house a 5 minute walk from there (Gringo Hill) that I was able to use, so I surfed there and the East Cape quite a bit since I also had access to an F150 and a buggy.

Zippers needs a pretty long period of time of no arroyo blowouts to get good. When a sizable hurricane hits the area, tons of dirt and sand wash out and plug it up. I haven't seen it good in quite a while (15+ years) and how it's been for the handful of times I've been there in the last 10 years, there are better waves to the east. It was never a destination spot, but could get pretty fun. When it was good it reminded me of San Miguel.

The locals are not very friendly if you're a blow through (even if you speak Spanish). They try to regulate Zippers and make the gringos go west to the Rock. I totally get why; the weekend property owners from Gringo Hill acted entitled for too long and were way too competitive when the locals were young and/or learning to surf. More locals are surfing the Rock (La Roca) now when Zippers isn't good.

I was there three years ago with my wife and daughter staying equidistant between Monuments (the marginal fat left off the Cape Hotel) and Zippers and split my time between the two spots for eight days. Every day at the Rock there were at least two gringos getting slapped or punched by different locals. A family of five was gunned down by one of the cartels on the beach in front of the Palmilla two days before we got there as well; yay Cabo!

El Estero, a few miles to the east of Zippers and the Costa Azul area used to be a very good wave, but is a shadow of it's former self. The crazy amount of development including a marina in that area choked off the sand supply and it breaks much closer to the beach now.

There are a couple of close to world class waves pretty deep in the Sea of Cortez pretty past Punta Perfecta (which is not even close to perfect) that work on strong SE (hurricane) swells. I've seen video, but have never caught them at their potential which I've seen on video..
Was in Cabo last spring (2019) staying right at La Roca (Las Olas) and zippers never worked for the 10 days we were there even though the Rock was good the whole time.

We had zero issues with any locals and I didn’t see any unwarranted regulation in the lineup.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Was in Cabo last spring (2019) staying right at La Roca (Las Olas) and zippers never worked for the 10 days we were there even though the Rock was good the whole time.

We had zero issues with any locals and I didn’t see any unwarranted regulation in the lineup.
While I don’t advocate violence, the guys on the receiving end were not doing themselves any favors. I think it was a bachelor party that was there for a week and they were paddling out out on soft-tops apparently inebriated and doing the “party wave” BS way too much. They’d paddle out in packs of 5-8, were super loud and constantly in the way. They were repeatedly told to cool it but were being disrespectful when talked to, so things escalated.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
While I don’t advocate violence, the guys on the receiving end were not doing themselves any favors. I think it was a bachelor party that was there for a week and they were paddling out out on soft-tops apparently inebriated and doing the “party wave” BS way too much. They’d paddle out in packs of 5-8, were super loud and constantly in the way. They were repeatedly told to cool it but were being disrespectful when talked to, so things escalated.
Que Paul Harvey....

• Haha
Reactions: ChaseTMP

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019

I stayed at Casa Costa Azul (great hotel btw) right in front of Zippers for 5 days a couple of years ago and it worked great the whole time. Went back a year or so later and it was junk. People were saying it needs a really S swell to work now and the second trip the swell was a long-period SW. Monuments was nearly DOH while Zippers and La Roca were basically flat, and Shipwrecks was head high and sort of working but closing out a lot.

I also never had any trouble with locals. Funny story from Zippers, it was pretty uncrowded with myself, a couple Aussies and one local guy. One of the Aussies was paddling for a wave with the inside position and the local was eyeing it from the shoulder. Without thinking I did a head nod and pointed out the inside guy to the local and he got PISSED, "I can see man you dont need to tell me, this is my break" etc. I was terrified and profusely apologized. Next wave comes through he looks dead at me and says "MY WAVE"... I'm like of course man I dont want any trouble. Another comes through he looks dead at me again and says "YOUR WAVE" and hoots me in. He spent the rest of the session telling who to go on what wave, cheering and everyone had a good time.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
https://stabmag.com/news/conner-coffin-just-split-with-channel-islands-after-16-years-to-ride-js-surfboards/

any Design guys want to talk about what is going on with his boards? His turns look less round and rail seems to break free sooner. His turns look shorter and choppier than on Channel Islands.

he doesnt seem recreate the magic while riding a JS like Mikey Wright, Joel Parkinson, or Andy irons

looks better riding CI’s honestly
Looked great on the backhand waves, the frontside waves didn't seem quite big enough for a comparable show of power.

seems keen to establish a new shaper/surfer relationship for boards that go better

Reactions: surfysurfy1476

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
So I guess we're never gonna see the Fred Rubble 2 then. Or will they release it with a different name?