What is the best proven anti shark device, other than nets or drum lines ?

baboon

OTF status
Nov 18, 2011
We sat around the fire last night and discussed how scared we used to be about huge sharks in the lineup in South Africa.
Are Orca's to blame, as well as over fishing of other sharks for GW's moving out of False Bay and around Cape Town.
Got us thinking of playing underwater Orca sounds, communication at your local line up before you paddle out.
Could this work with Tiger, Bull sharks ? Can we please have some research guru's/ bait help with study ?
Any other anti shark ideas ?

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Spear gun?
Bang stick?
Chain mail wetsuit?
Did I forget any?
We used to have a shark emoji. What happened to it?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I remember that from decades ago. They were expperimenting with it in Bali where there are sea snakes. Then some idiots tried it where there are no sea snakes. It didn't work. Duh. I'm no sure it even worked where there are sea snakes.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
remember shark repellent surf wax? on the package it said "if attacked by shark while using, return unused product for full refund"

• Haha
Reactions: kane and trifish

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
We sat around the fire last night and discussed how scared we used to be about huge sharks in the lineup in South Africa.
Are Orca's to blame, as well as over fishing of other sharks for GW's moving out of False Bay and around Cape Town.
Got us thinking of playing underwater Orca sounds, communication at your local line up before you paddle out.
Could this work with Tiger, Bull sharks ? Can we please have some research guru's/ bait help with study ?
Any other anti shark ideas ?
I read somewhere that the Australian fish and chips industry is decimating the smaller shark population in SA and the great whites are moving. Orcas are there, but not likely responsible for the sudden and dramatic decline in the GWS population.

I prefer no sharks, but some things just have to be dealt with.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Wade Tokoro and a few of his crew do this on their boards. Of course the spot out in front of Wade's house is one of the sharkiest on the island. Yikes.
Seems like you could do it to any clear board with a little time, some black broad tip Posca Pens and a rattle can of clear acrylic.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit