Official ....Lost custom order thread

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
your stance seems to be that when a custom board arrives and it's a hunk of sh!t it's the customers fault for trusting the guy who's business is making custom surfboards.
No, I'm saying handing a blank check to anyone, whether a plumber, a building contractor, a shaper, or glasser is incredibly foolish. Especially when the interaction with the glasser was shady from the beginning.

Let's remove the surfboard part of the equation. Would you hire a contractor to do work on your home without ever receiving a written estimate?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
of course he did. after he told them he was a big time erbb'er they patched him directly through to Mr. Biolos himself.
People do read this here. I once wrote about my experiences with ordering a board through a shop and ended up getting phone calls from both the shop and the surfboard company

Reactions: MathDebater

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
If that's the case - and it's not clear from the poster's story - then yeah that's a problem - F both of em.

The impression I got from the thread is that the shaper shaped the board and the customer took the board to get glassed and that everything wan't under the same roof.

No indication from the poster whether the glasser who did the work was recommended by the shaper either.

The details are fuzzy in this part and IMO the details matter.
That was my board

Shaper recommended that Glasser

Honestly- I paid the Glasser and was happy to do so. The glass job looked cool and it was a super heavy glass job. Was I worried I overpaid? Maybe. But I didn’t care. I was happy to pay it.

In fact I even texted the shaper telling him how stoked I was on how the board came out.

I never once complained about price when I bought it.

The problems came later when the poor glass job didn’t hold up and the board sucked in about 10 lbs of water and ruined the entire board and caused a delam.

The glass job wasn’t done properly and was done poorly.

You’re conflating the issue. I wasn’t complaining about the price but rather the glassing job sucked

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
No, I'm saying handing a blank check to anyone, whether a plumber, a building contractor, a shaper, or glasser is incredibly foolish. Especially when the interaction with the glasser was shady from the beginning.

Let's remove the surfboard part of the equation. Would you hire a contractor to do work on your home without ever receiving a written estimate?

You’re missing the point.

Reactions: Aruka

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It wasn't clear from the thread the shaper recommended the glasser; see my above response to that.

So yes I do get the point.

The glasswork was worthless. Shaper should've made it right.

Unfortunately this sort of shittiness towards customers is not limited to the surfboard industry.

Still, ultimate price aside, you should've gotten pricing before agreeing to anything.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I didn’t care how much it was gonna cost. Not like I knew glassers and would go somewhere else.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
No dude. That's just a combination of canned options. I'm talking about something that starts with 45 min foot measuring/scanning process. Each foot done separately. Then a custom last is constructed to match each foot. On from there.

Your example is like ordering the xyz model in the standard 510 x 18 3/4 x 2 5/16 x 28 ltr in Rip it Red with an extra 2 0Z on the deck.
oh, got it

you’re talking about true bespoke shoes

those are totally insane

$3k is normal for that sh!t

I’m not in that market but I don’t think the average custom surfboard is close to that

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
This has gotten way too complicated.

You have a company that makes surfboards (among other things). You take orders for customs.

Track the damn order and deliver it when you say you are going to. Its not fucking brain surgery.

Seems like things in the surfboard industry are often graded on a curve.

This is Lost, its not like having to go rub Skp Fryes feet and prove you're worthy of his magnanimity.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
This has gotten way too complicated.

You have a company that makes surfboards (among other things). You take orders for customs.

Track the damn order and deliver it when you say you are going to. Its not fucking brain surgery.

Seems like things in the surfboard industry are often graded on a curve.

This is Lost, its not like having to go rub Skp Fryes feet and prove you're worthy of his magnanimity.
This is one of the reasons why FireWire was able to break into the industry and become so popular.

People were sick of it. FireWire offered up a good alternative.

Plus FireWire was smart and let shops carry their boards without having to pay up front for them.

Good business sense and it worked

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
As someone in an industry where things often run behind schedule, I am sympathetic to that but just let me know or give me a longer production time to begin with. Both are much better than silence.

Reactions: Havoc and jkb

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
x2. Three boards. Awesome communication during order process and always done before original ETA. Kind of ruins you for other orders. You come to expect a level of professionalism that isn't the average.

Reactions: Aardwolf

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I've had a couple customs from Rusty, and they've delivered on time or in less time than quoted.

Reactions: Havoc