Step up logic (not guns)

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I actually like the slight step ups. Around here in the winter it's almost never going to be under head high. There's almost never going to be a defined take off and the current is always going to be a factor. At the same time I rarely surf huge waves so my slight step ups like 6-5, 6-6 get a lot of use. I had a winter where I rode my 6'6" Stamps Next Step for months strait. Lately my 6'5" Ghost kind of fills the same roll.

That said, knowing when to step it up to the 6'10 Blackbird or 7'10 Padillac is important.
Yeah, but that's not really a stepup, its a "north of Point Conception shortboard."

Reactions: Aruka

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
i like 3 "step-ups."
1 for small/big, 1 for med/big and 1 for big/big.

They don't get used much.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
The circa 2011/2012 Kelly on those round tail Fred Rubbles was the best he's looked in quite some time.

He can surf anything, but those looked particularly good under his feet.

I think the best surfing he ever did was in the era on that board.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It really depends on the spot.

Period is very relevant.

12 seconds and 18 seconds are very different.

Also it seems like Aus shapers make boards to perform in pumping juice while most CA shapers do not because there is no pumping juice in CA.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Period is very relevant.

Also it seems like Aus shapers make boards to perform in pumping juice while most CA shapers do not because there is no pumping juice in CA.
Depends where you live in CA......

Reactions: Mr Doof

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
The bigger spots that I surf tend to be the same spots I surf when it's smaller.

So my thinking is that if my hpsb rocker works well at those spots, why not get the same design but a few inches longer, pulled in tail, a little thicker, ect.... This way, I know the rocker already works well and there is continuity when switching between boards.

Of course this is all thrown out the window if there is a drastic transformation in the wave shape from small to big or if your bigger wave spots are completely different from your smaller wave spots.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Period is very relevant.

We really missed you in your absence.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Lately - for me depends on the spot and how much water is moving ... i've starting going to shorter boards but throwing in bigger fins. It's all about the duck dive - or trying to duck dive a board with extra foam when it is 3'+ OH. I misjudged the forecast one day and had only brought my 6'4" twinzer when it was firing OH - went out anyway and had a great session - didn't get pummeled or exhausted trying to hold on the board while paddling out.

Reactions: MathDebater

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020

Period is very relevant.

Shorter period better for sand bottom points and beachies, longer period for the reef breaks and rock bottom points. The short interval stuff tends to be punchier and steeper for its relative size, that’s why EC beachies are known for its hollow punchy surf while CA has an abundance of mushy rolling points. SoCal is surfing purgatory.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002

Period is very relevant.

I don't know about that. After growing up surfing Blacks, the only breaks I surfed on the east coast of Oz that felt like they really packed a punch were Angourie and Lennox.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I don't know about that. After growing up surfing Blacks, the only breaks I surfed on the east coast of Oz that felt like they really packed a punch were Angourie and Lennox.
Blacks is a different animal

A very powerful animal that will annihilate you.

But it doesn't pump.