Who else has convinced themselves they need a new board during this Covid-19 downtime?

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
Received this custom order in mid-February and have ridden it every single time I've surfed except for once. All sessions have been in Oceanside with everything from waist high garbage to 2' OH closeouts and the odd, high quality hollow day.

A friend who is a professional shaper made the board. His name is Doug Moreaux. He does a lot of boards for well-known companies. You see his boards (Talon label) in the water in Oceanside. Some under the feet of very good surfers.

The board is based off a board he made himself for small, mushy Oceanside which is what we have 75%+ of the time. I know length is 5'6" and estimate width a bit under 20", and thickness a solid 2.5". Volume? Probably 28-29L. Dims not visible on bottom of board. Very flat rocker and especially through the tail. Epoxy construction.

Concave? I don't know. I don't pay attention to that. Looks like a double through the tail. Full rails for the most part that get very hard above the wing and stay that way through the tail.

Board does exceptionally well in small, clean surf. My favorite thing is how quickly it comes off the bottom. You can completely nail the lip no problem with rider skill level only variable. Easy speed generation of course. Holds a good line in the barrel. You feel the flat tail rocker if go into a hard, sharp turn on a larger, steep face or if you power an open face carve too hard so there's an adjustment curve there as compared to a board with more tail rocker. You can find an extra gear on open face cutbacks if you can get your back foot heel farther toward the inside turning rail like you would on a fish.

If the waves are shifty with some power and OH its kinda hard to get in early but I think that's just the length more than anything. In cleaner waves I had no issues catching 2' OH waves on this board.

JS quads (medium) are my favorite. Tried some split-keel fins and while i got more hold through carves they were not as lively as the JS quads. I like the loose, quick feel even if it give up some holdIMG_3047.JPGIMG_3048.JPGIMG_3049.JPG.

The color/airbrush was a surprise. I said just do what you think looks cool. Tail is especially nice IMO.

I have a 2nd board on order that is closer to a more performance orientated shortboard . . . few inches longer, narrower, bit more tail rocker.

I'm 46 (fook! what happened?), 165 lbs or so and an average, fins in the water surfer.

I really like this board as it gets me amped to surf on the common, average days we have locally. I get the grovel but can bang the lip. Win/win.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah, can’t miss ya on the Surfline cam now. You’re stocked: board sounds like a fun hybrid! I would’ve been shocked by that color, but I’m pretty conservative. I do like that tail though. Did you have to get a bright wetsuit to match??. LOL

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
Yeah, can’t miss ya on the Surfline cam now. You’re stocked: board sounds like a fun hybrid! I would’ve been shocked by that color, but I’m pretty conservative. I do like that tail though. Did you have to get a bright wetsuit to match??. LOL
it's a safety precaution for if i require ocean rescue

3D chess - always thinking ahead

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
great review
the rocker and foam flow look sweet
Received this custom order in mid-February and have ridden it every single time I've surfed except for once. All sessions have been in Oceanside with everything from waist high garbage to 2' OH closeouts and the odd, high quality hollow day.

A friend who is a professional shaper made the board. His name is Doug Moreaux. He does a lot of boards for well-known companies. You see his boards (Talon label) in the water in Oceanside. Some under the feet of very good surfers.

The board is based off a board he made himself for small, mushy Oceanside which is what we have 75%+ of the time. I know length is 5'6" and estimate width a bit under 20", and thickness a solid 2.5". Volume? Probably 28-29L. Dims not visible on bottom of board. Very flat rocker and especially through the tail. Epoxy construction.

Concave? I don't know. I don't pay attention to that. Looks like a double through the tail. Full rails for the most part that get very hard above the wing and stay that way through the tail.

Board does exceptionally well in small, clean surf. My favorite thing is how quickly it comes off the bottom. You can completely nail the lip no problem with rider skill level only variable. Easy speed generation of course. Holds a good line in the barrel. You feel the flat tail rocker if go into a hard, sharp turn on a larger, steep face or if you power an open face carve too hard so there's an adjustment curve there as compared to a board with more tail rocker. You can find an extra gear on open face cutbacks if you can get your back foot heel farther toward the inside turning rail like you would on a fish.

If the waves are shifty with some power and OH its kinda hard to get in early but I think that's just the length more than anything. In cleaner waves I had no issues catching 2' OH waves on this board.

JS quads (medium) are my favorite. Tried some split-keel fins and while i got more hold through carves they were not as lively as the JS quads. I like the loose, quick feel even if it give up some holdView attachment 92872View attachment 92873View attachment 92874.

The color/airbrush was a surprise. I said just do what you think looks cool. Tail is especially nice IMO.

I have a 2nd board on order that is closer to a more performance orientated shortboard . . . few inches longer, narrower, bit more tail rocker.

I'm 46 (fook! what happened?), 165 lbs or so and an average, fins in the water surfer.

I really like this board as it gets me amped to surf on the common, average days we have locally. I get the grovel but can bang the lip. Win/win.
Would bang

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
A little ashamed to say it (not enough to regret the purchase), but the marketing schtick got to me. Also my first JS, because why not - everyone around me can't be wrong?

JS Monstabox 2020 in "easy rider" (read: Fatboy / Oldprick) dims;

5.10, 19 3/4, 2 9/16 @ 31.5L

View attachment 91687

edit: The way this board's rails are foiled is just beautiful. It sure doesn't feel like an ISObese board.
So... uhhh, turns out this boar is rather good ... so good it's made me scratch my head when I looked at the rest of my quiver thinking "so how much more foam can I get away with sarfing?'

So even though most of my ISObesity is off (think I was just retaining water like a motherfooker, because I dropped 5KG / 11lLS silly fast), I think my man thighs can handle more foam ... and I went and got an as-new Occy JS Raging bull off a semi-sponsored acquaintance, and I'm picking it up tomorrow :p

6' 0",19 5/8", 25/8" 32.7L

Last edited:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I need to come meet you at Scripps sometime in hopes you'll let me try some of these boards you have (R Twin Fin and this new one from Super). My buddy rides his Fling a lot in the stuff San Diego generally sees in the summer.

last of the quarantine boards. 5’10 Magic Mix by Superbrand. It’s described as one of the flatter/wider ones, but for me around SD county it’ll be a HPSB most of the time
View attachment 92389

Reactions: tedshred5 and Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@92122 You're also still welcome to come try a couple of my twin fishes. Or did you already get one?

Just picked up my Mitsven quad fish yesterday from Birds. They were stocked for the lockdown purchase, said it helped them pay a big bill that was due at the time. So that made me feel good. Plus, the board is an absolute beauty, and it really is exactly what I was going to order from Bob. Excited to get it in the water this week. Also, dropped 3 boards for consignment as I can't motivate to deal with CL right now. Of course, if those sell, I'll still only be back to pre-pandemic number. :LOL:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Against my better judgement, I stopped by the Rusty factory sale in SD. Waited 20min in line, watching every person that walked out carrying a new board or 2, so thought there must be some deals. I'm not super familiar with R. models, but was looking out for a Hatchet, 419Fish, Smoothie, or 6'4-6" Blackbird. By the time I got in, I only had about 10 min to check out the 50 or so boards there with 8 other dudes; they said they were clearing out the stock from the LJ Shores retail store that closed after almost 30 years and most were new, some customs & team boards (half of Wade Carmicheal's HI quiver) that were never picked up. FWIW, I was disappointed to see all the torsion spring boards were pretty yellowed. Hard pass. Was tempted by a 6'2 Blackbird (too small for a mini stepup), a killer 1984/Occy (slightly too small) and then 419Fish (love that flat deck) but it had a flashy deck spray, and that sick 90's goth R. logo that @racer1 loved so much. Ultimately I pulled the trigger on a clean new R. Smoothie in PU $400. :shaka: Guy in front of me snagged the E-Poly one my size, but mine looked cleaner and an extra liter or two won't hurt fur an easy summer board. She's a full-figured gal!
If this one works like I hope, I'll have to clear out the R. Quattro fish which barely survived the first round of cuts (fun board, just too many similar).
Oops, I did it again!
IMG_1693.jpeg

Last edited:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I too went to the Rusty sale against my better judgement. My wedding just got postponed so I am in a bit of a fuck it mood. Ended up swooping a 7’0” blackbird for Wade epoly for $500. All the talk about blackbirds on here sold me. That and a couple sessions the last few winters where a hunk of extra board was pretty appealing for crowd and current purposes.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I too went to the Rusty sale against my better judgement. My wedding just got postponed so I am in a bit of a fook it mood. Ended up swooping a 7’0” blackbird for Wade epoly for $500. All the talk about blackbirds on here sold me. That and a couple sessions the last few winters where a hunk of extra board was pretty appealing for crowd and current purposes.
One cannot live vicariously through other people's board purchases forever! Eventually, we all crack!

I don't even have the excuse of covid 19 - i ordered boards i shouldn't have before the lockdown ever happened.

p.s. humour aside - sorry to hear about your wedding, bummer.

• Haha
Reactions: JDJ