Have we Talked about the New Mexico Protest Shooting yet?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
While he was acting in self defense at time of shooting (and the person who got shot was swinging a skateboard at him), he was also there to cause trouble (walking around with a can of mace, throwing multiple people to the ground, etc). So he'll probably be charged with some sort of assault, but I doubt he'll get any legal trouble for firing his gun.

I'm honestly surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

I am 100% down for protests, but if you start violently attacking people who don't agree with you then anything goes.

Reactions: $kully

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
While he was acting in self defense at time of shooting (and the person who got shot was swinging a skateboard at him), he was also there to cause trouble (walking around with a can of mace, throwing multiple people to the ground, etc). So he'll probably be charged with some sort of assault, but I doubt he'll get any legal trouble for firing his gun.

I'm honestly surprised this hasn't happened sooner

I am 100% down for protests, but if you start attacking people violently who don't agree with you then anything goes.
Yup.

Video pre-shooting shows protestors and those trying to protect the statue with both playing king of the mountain.

The shooter is not obviously seen with a firearm so appears he was concealed carrying.

Hopefully this puts a damper on the mob violence and skateboards as weapons trend du jour.

Reactions: racer1

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
Aunt Jemima brand to change name, remove image that Quaker says is 'based on a racial stereotype'
“We recognize Aunt Jemima’s origins are based on a racial stereotype," Quaker Oats said, adding that the move is an effort "toward progress on racial equality."

callng someone "aunt" is just as bad as referring to a group as "you people"

i mean cant u tell from the image of a black woman smiling that shes a slave?!?!?
i for one will not stand for this racism! 1592399224234.png

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
These caricatures should have been rehabbed a long time ago. Nobody thinks Famous Amos was an insulting stereotype.

Reactions: $kully

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Aunt Jemima brand to change name, remove image that Quaker says is 'based on a racial stereotype'
“We recognize Aunt Jemima’s origins are based on a racial stereotype," Quaker Oats said, adding that the move is an effort "toward progress on racial equality."

i mean cant u tell from the image of a black woman smiling that shes a slave?!?!?
i for one will not stand for this racism! View attachment 92940
So...it is racist to put a nice picture of a smiling black woman on a bottle of syrup, but not racist if the smiling woman was white? Got it.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge

i for one will not stand for this racism! View attachment 92940
I have a different beef with Aunt Jemima:

"INGREDIENTS: CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, CELLULOSE GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, SALT, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SODIUM BENZOATE AND SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVES), SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE."

• Haha
Reactions: Kento and Mr Doof

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
What's gonna happen in Hawaii, where all older folks of long time local descent are called "Auntie" and "Uncle"?

Will that have to go aloha too?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
These caricatures should have been rehabbed a long time ago. Nobody thinks Famous Amos was an insulting stereotype.
Because it wasn't insulting or a stereotype. It's a picture of the guy who made the cookies. :p

Aunt Jemima was dressed in slave garb and literally looked like a house slave, and... one of the former ladies used on the package was a slave.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Speaking of Aunt Jemima.. we never used that syrup or pancake mix when growing up.

It was always Bisquick pancake mix and Mrs. Butterworth syrup.

I'm not going to lie. I made the best pancakes in HS with Bisquick and Mrs. Butterworth syrup. It was the best.