Board suggestions for rolling/mushy waves?

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
for rolling waves, I've found longer boards to better. In VB, our waves our super mushy and i've never got the short boards to work. In NJ, the waves are small but break top to bottom and the small boards work well. a longer mini sim or an egg or mid length is the most fun. You can struggle on other boards but why? I wonder how an MPEGG would go?

Mush, like barrels, has shape, sadly, not all mush is the same. I apparently am gaining my expertise in defining small surf and mush....

awesome.

UFsurfer

Nep status
May 26, 2005
SATX
Yeah, I'm kicking myself in the a$$ for leaving too soon. Got there around high tide and the waves were definitely feeling it; pictures from later that afternoon showed the waves with much more push/steepness. Learning experience...

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
That's where I was retodd it felt like I was treading water on the lost driver

Rip current was fast as hell

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Im thinking at that size Fling's or Bottom Feeders won't have enough rail line. Maybe a 80's style template at normal shortboard length would be the call. Lower rocker and wider template will maintain speed while the long rail line will hold at speed.

Feb 19, 2017
Texas
Live and surf in Texas myself. Been on a fling for a year and love it. Works well for those decieving days like early that sunday morning for cristobal. Goes great in any smaller surf too. However on those head high plus punchy days it can struggle if its not real groomed but sounds like youve got those conditions covered.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
First thought was a good twin keel fish like some of the others already mentioned as long as the conditions are clean enough and your skill level supports it. I like mine on rolling glassy days because it doesn't take much effort to keep the speed up.

Also only surfing a couple of times a month, it could be more about getting yourself into better position/closer to the peak and paddling strength/timing.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Are your boards EPS by any chance? I would stick to PU if you're getting hung up paddling into waves. Although this is unfortunately usually a problem with the archer rather than the arrow, getting a board with a more comfortable rocker for your style would help. If you don't want to go with an egg or stubb-vector type board, I would recommend a twin keel fish with low nose rocker, like the one Stamps makes.

My best guess for your TKF dims are 5'8, 21, 2 1/2 or 2 9/16.

Last edited:
Reactions: MathDebater

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
Rs surf love capsule is a rocket and floats over flat sections.