BLM Paddle Out, Moonlight Beach

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think slanting is big factor.

"White privalage" is slanted

It does not send the message of the people who are expected to bring change.

I feel like the BLM movement is childish in nature.

At the same time, I think it would be a good investment in the culture to address negative effects of the legacy of slavery.

PS fuck DT. :poop:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
if the early news headlines had read "convicted felon accidentally killed by police restraining him" - no mention of race or video- would it have been forgotten already by most?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I can't believe the people haven't started protesting against police harassment and brutality against men. 'Cause (following the retard-logic that the numbers prove it's all the cops' fault) way more men get sent to prison than women, and way more men get killed by the cops than women.

I mean, we're being assured that these outcomes have nothing to do with the choices the men are making and that these outcomes prove that the system is biased against men.

I'm calling for a paddle out in protest of police brutality against men for tomorrow at Silicon Beach at 9:00 AM. If you don't show up then you're part of the problem.

#mendidnothingwrong

• Haha
Reactions: 000 and grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I'm calling for a paddle out in protest of police brutality against men for tomorrow at Silicon Beach at 9:00 AM. If you don't show up then you're part of the problem.

#mendidnothingwrong
Good luck.

I tried to get the Black People Having Feelings Too moment going and it didn't catch on.

If you want to start a movement it helps of you are good looking like Che Guavara

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
i have so much white privilage, every day i walk past blacks and mexicans being beaten by the white supremacist cops, and i walk into any random store, and the employees hand me free stuiff. they say "ooh a white person, here take this"
Do you get all that free money thrown at you from the white bankers? I love when they do that.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
When you factor in the number of police encounters with the various races white people are the most likely to get shot.

The fact that black people are most likely to have encounters with police is a separate, related issue. But if you have an encounter with police you are more likely to be shot if you are white.

Now that you know this new piece of information, has your view changed?
I can't find the study you're talking about. Looked for about 10 mins and gave up. Is it on JSTOR? I did find a study that said that the race of the cop didn't matter when it came to shooting black people.

If what you say is true, that'd be pretty shitty because it means the cops are even worse than we think.

Also, did they say why white people were more likely to be shot? If I had to guess it's because gun owners are proportionally white, and if the cops see you have a gun they get itchy trigger fingers. We know that owning a gun disproportionally raises your chances of getting shot, so there might be some correlation there?

Edit: When I say cops are worse than we think based on the study you quote, I mean that they commit acts of violence against the entire population, not just blacks, suggesting order by means of violence is structural to such a degree that it's indiscriminate. I do have a hard time believing that though, as we know for a fact that lower economic communities are policed at a higher rate. So, if we know that over policing is prevalent in lower class communities, and the rate by which you encounter the police raises your chances of being shot by them, logic says that lower economic communities suffer more proportional violence. What I hope the BLM movement does is shine a light on the economic disparities, as I believe a large underpinning of these protests is the frustration of the working class which encompasses all races in the USA.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I can't find the study you're talking about. Looked for about 10 mins and gave up. Is it on JSTOR? I did find a study that said that the race of the cop didn't matter when it came to shooting black people.

If what you say is true, that'd be pretty shitty because it means the cops are even worse than we think.

Also, did they say why white people were more likely to be shot? If I had to guess it's because gun owners are proportionally white, and if the cops see you have a gun they get itchy trigger fingers. We know that owning a gun disproportionally raises your chances of getting shot, so there might be some correlation there?
there‘s this...

And...

“We found that the race of the officer doesn’t matter when it comes to predicting whether black or white citizens are shot," Cesario said. "If anything, black citizens are more likely to have been shot by black officers, but this is because black officers are drawn from the same population that they police. So, the more black citizens there are in a community, the more black police officers there are.”

“Many people ask whether black or white citizens are more likely to be shot and why. We found that violent crime rates are the driving force behind fatal shootings,” Cesario said. “Our data show that the rate of crime by each racial group correlates with the likelihood of citizens from that racial group being shot. If you live in a county that has a lot of white people committing crimes, white people are more likely to be shot. If you live in a county that has a lot of black people committing crimes, black people are more likely to be shot. It is the best predictor we have of fatal police shootings.”

Unarmed whites are shot more but the numbers of unarmed people being shot by police is so small that you can’t really make any kind of statistical statement on it.

Reactions: encladd

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
if my great grandfather killed your great grandfather, do i owe u an apology?

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
there‘s this...

And...

“We found that the race of the officer doesn’t matter when it comes to predicting whether black or white citizens are shot," Cesario said. "If anything, black citizens are more likely to have been shot by black officers, but this is because black officers are drawn from the same population that they police. So, the more black citizens there are in a community, the more black police officers there are.”

“Many people ask whether black or white citizens are more likely to be shot and why. We found that violent crime rates are the driving force behind fatal shootings,” Cesario said. “Our data show that the rate of crime by each racial group correlates with the likelihood of citizens from that racial group being shot. If you live in a county that has a lot of white people committing crimes, white people are more likely to be shot. If you live in a county that has a lot of black people committing crimes, black people are more likely to be shot. It is the best predictor we have of fatal police shootings.”

Unarmed whites are shot more but the numbers of unarmed people being shot by police is so small that you can’t really make any kind of statistical statement on it.
Thanks. I thought you were talking about this study but i didn't see anything saying white people get shot more on average, just that black cops were just as likely to shoot black men as white cops.

So I read the actual study and it doesn't factor in why black people commit crimes at a rate higher than white people. I could talk about redlining, why asthma rates in black communities are higher than anywhere else, blacks being only 1.5 generations removed from abject poverty, the war on drugs, etc. but there's no fucking way I'm doing that here because no one will read it.

So I guess ultimately, no that study didn't change my mind. Our police state is fucked. I'm white and grew up in a nice white suburban neighborhood and have had cops fucking with me since I picked up a skateboard. Since then I've graduated college and worked in the same city and still had to deal with their harassment. I've been robbed multiple times and told to kick rocks. I've had cops pull me over for minor infractions and had my car searched multiple times just because I was driving a beater. In my community I've seen everything from cops hooking up with high school girls, to cops selling weed and cocaine. So when black people tell me cops are doing fucked up sh!t, I tend to believe them.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
if my great grandfather killed your great grandfather, do i owe u an apology?
If your grandfather killed my gradfather and stole his house, and you're living in it, should you give it to me? Or could we at least split it?

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
Thanks. I thought you were talking about this study but i didn't see anything saying white people get shot more on average, just that black cops were just as likely to shoot black men as white cops.

So I read the actual study and it doesn't factor in why black people commit crimes at a rate higher than white people. I could talk about redlining, why asthma rates in black communities are higher than anywhere else, blacks being only 1.5 generations removed from abject poverty, the war on drugs, etc. but there's no fucking way I'm doing that here because no one will read it.

So I guess ultimately, no that study didn't change my mind. Our police state is fucked. I'm white and grew up in a nice white suburban neighborhood and have had cops fucking with me since I picked up a skateboard. Since then I've graduated college and worked in the same city and still had to deal with their harassment. I've been robbed multiple times and told to kick rocks. I've had cops pull me over for minor infractions and had my car searched multiple times just because I was driving a beater. In my community I've seen everything from cops hooking up with high school girls, to cops selling weed and cocaine. So when black people tell me cops are doing fucked up sh!t, I tend to believe them.
Just wanted to add that I think this study is encouraging! We've had racial bias training for cops for the past decade or so. Either that training is working, or it's always been that way. The problem is that the data up and until now is not very reliable because of just how hard it is for departments to even keep reliable data of their encounters, as much of it is self reported. So I think we can definitely agree that both studies are incomplete and not to be relied upon.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Don't
Just wanted to add that I think this study is encouraging! We've had racial bias training for cops for the past decade or so. Either that training is working, or it's always been that way. The problem is that the data up and until now is not very reliable because of just how hard it is for departments to even keep reliable data of their encounters, as much of it is self reported. So I think we can definitely agree that both studies are incomplete and not to be relied upon.
That's incorrect - the training has included "anti=-bias" elements for many many years.

As for studies, there's no need for you to wait for someone to write an article or for some activist to tell you what to think. Look at the data itself and do your own thinking.

Here's the table for the number of arrests by race. (some of these crimes never get solved). They list the crimes of violence (murder/manslaughter, rape, robbery, aggravated assault) at the top. Those are the ones I think are most relevant to this comparison.

Here's the table for the number of murders by race for 2018 (most recent dataset available from the FBI) , which is obviously higher than the number of arrests

Here's the link to a database which collects the data on people the police kill

If you download that database it comes up as an excel file. They've been keeping a running score since 2013. Insert a line at the top, go to cell D1 and input the following equation:

=countif(D1101:D2242,"*white*")

Then copy the similar equation in the cell next to it
=countif(D1101:D2242,"*black*")

These will give you the counts for each category in the 2018 dataset.

These numbers are both a little higher than appear in other databases so I think that's a good argument for using it. They're counting more of these deaths.

It's accurate to say that relative to their representation in the general population the death-by-cop rate for blacks being killed by the police is a lot higher. However, the use of the general pop would be based on the assumption that negative encounters with the police for whites and blacks are the same whereas the stats for the arrests for violent crimes directly contradict that assumption. After all, at every one of those arrests there are two people present: the cop and the arrestee. So that's why the number of arrests for *violent crime* probably has a lot more overlap with police violence than the number for all arrests or the entire population.

The happy face in the =countif equations above is the code in the erBB. The cell range for 2018 is D1101: D2242

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
What I hope the BLM movement does is shine a light on the economic disparities, as I believe a large underpinning of these protests is the frustration of the working class which encompasses all races in the USA.
This is the heart of the issue. The republicans serve the ultra rich while paying lip service to poor working class whites. The dems serve the upper middle class left-leaning coastal elites and silicon valley types while paying lip service to poor class people of color. Neither party wants the the poor whites and poor blacks and browns to mobilize, because then they will attack the institutions that fook everyone regardless of their race and maybe even start a whole new political movement and party altogether. Which is why the politicians and media outlets fan the flames of racial division and pretend to care. Like, seriously, Chase bank sending me an email to prove how #woke they are? GET FOOKED

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Don't

That's incorrect - the training has included "anti=-bias" elements for many many years.

As for studies, there's no need for you to wait for someone to write an article or for some activist to tell you what to think. Look at the data itself and do your own thinking.

Here's the table for the number of arrests by race. (some of these crimes never get solved). They list the crimes of violence (murder/manslaughter, rape, robbery, aggravated assault) at the top. Those are the ones I think are most relevant to this comparison.

Here's the table for the number of murders by race for 2018 (most recent dataset available from the FBI) , which is obviously higher than the number of arrests

Here's the link to a database which collects the data on people the police kill

If you download that database it comes up as an excel file. They've been keeping a running score since 2013. Insert a line at the top, go to cell D1 and input the following equation:

=countif(D1101:D2242,"*white*")

Then copy the similar equation in the cell next to it
=countif(D1101:D2242,"*black*")

These numbers are both a little higher than appear in other databases so I think that's a good argument for using it. They're counting more of these deaths.

It isn't inaccurate to say that relative to their representation in the general population the rate for blacks being killed by the police is a lot higher. However, the use of the general pop would be based on the assumption that negative encounters with the police for whites and blacks are the same whereas the stats for the arrests for violent crimes directly contradict that assumption. After all, at every one of those arrests there are two people present: the cop and the arrestee. So that's why the number of arrests for *violent crime* probably has a lot more overlap with police violence than the number for all arrests or the entire population.

The happy face in the =countif equations above is the code in the erBB. The cell range for 2018 is D1101: D2242
Damn we got an excel wizard up in this biatch

Reactions: Chocki