How’s the stock market?

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
so what's the play?
long treasuries; might happen soon or a few months from now but market is way, way ahead of itself IMO.

only potential fly in the ointment is if inflation arrives but i think that is unlikely and even if it does i have a chunk of energy exposure anyways.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Gotta say I'm surprised at how well the stock market has performed. I am now a little ahead of where I was when things tanked at the beginning of covid apocalypse. Business has also outperformed my expectations the past couple of months. Going into 2020 I was expecting really big things and the year opened up super strong. March was bad but April and May have been solid despite covid lockdowns. Hopefully the economy will be roaring as government gets its knee off of the neck of small business in the next month or so.

Capture.JPG

Reactions: Billy Ocean

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
what is driving this, other than the Fed and Federal Government making it rain?
The riots and how all the dem politicians handled it and now their politically suicidal idea of defunding the police all but ensured Trump’s re-election and that’s what the market wants.

Also the jobs report.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Was just going to say......

"Hi Hal"

As the only time he posts on the thread is when it's down.

Ya, I probably jinxed the market now. DOW 1000 points UP in 2 days is rare.
Repost from last week. I guess these kinds of up dayz aren't so "rare".

Biggest monthly job increase EVER!!

Full on 180 from doomsday predictions of anywhere from 8-10 million loss of jobs in May. Instead, we get 2.5 million INCREASE in jobs in May.

Sounds like the same people modeling COVID-19 hospitalization/deaths and AGW effects, model economic/jobs trends too?

NASDAQ reaches ALL TIME HIGH today interday trading. That index has truly seen a full on "V' in recovery. Whoda thunk?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
june has been fun so far - this market rocks for swing traders. my biggest problem is taking profit too soon, but that is not a bad problem to have. e.g i had Spirit Air on 5/22 at $10.05 and thought i was killing it when i sold it the next week for $12. now, a week later, it's at $22 :oops:

other big lesson of the last two months for me is not what stocks to buy, but what stocks not to buy right now (biotech, i'm looking at you). forget the sexy tech and bio-pharma stuff that will burn you in a heartbeat - look at any stodgy old sector like finance, manufacturing, utilities etc and you will find solid companies that actually make money and are currently well undervalued. a rising tide lifts all boats :shaka:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
june has been fun so far - this market rocks for swing traders. my biggest problem is taking profit too soon, but that is not a bad problem to have. e.g i had Spirit Air on 5/22 at $10.05 and thought i was killing it when i sold it the next week for $12. now, a week later, it's at $22 :oops:

other big lesson of the last two months for me is not what stocks to buy, but what stocks not to buy right now (biotech, i'm looking at you). forget the sexy tech and bio-pharma stuff that will burn you in a heartbeat - look at any stodgy old sector like finance, manufacturing, utilities etc and you will find solid companies that actually make money and are currently well undervalued. a rising tide lifts all boats :shaka:
Yep, I picked up shares of AA at about the same price and it's doubled. Still holding. I also picked up some energy ETFs, one of which is killing it. Should've invested more (Duh).

I also started subscribing to motley fool's $99/year paid service, although my returns there have been mixed and not as good as the other stocks I picked or even the boring funds. I'm started to feel like a fool and wonder if their rec alone ends up inflating the price.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I'm still too scared to go in
I may take some off the table next week.

As my father used to say, when there's blood in the streets, buy. When the cab driver is giving you stock tips, get the hell out. (or the erBB. Always do the opposite to what the erBB consensus is. It's a virtually 100% reliable contrary indiactor)

Once you get brave enough to go in, please text me first so I can liquidate everything. ;)

Last edited: