EPS board turned scratchy and white then started sweating

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
It has never ever been in sun.

It’s been in a foil bag inside a controlled climate except for the times I surfed the board. The stringer is not sunk. The glassing was done poorly. you can just look at the pics and see How off it is.

Does a bunch of burn marks, pin holes, soft spots, etc look like heat damage?

@Muscles is completely right in this situation.

It was my bad for agreeing to it and I got ripped off by them.

1600 in cash wasted.

I could have went to STRETCH boards and ordered and got them to ship it to me for cheaper and I’d have had a solid board.

Just sucks. Makes me sick to my stomach. I try to support local businesses and get burned on an amount of money equal close to my rent.

And the Glasser is like “looks like heat damage”

BS.

Reactions: Muscles

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Its very likely Pat Rawson and other name shapers will suggest this glasser when picking up a shaped blank .

The shaper of this board is doing the same as Dick Brewer does most of the time .

If the weave is raised and stringer is sunken it did get hot , same with Poly glassing
While true.

There’s plenty of other Master Craftsman that will see a board to completion.

Jim Philips in fact just posted about how his laminator messed up and he fixed it before sending

http://instagr.am/p/B_84dXcnHTx/
“My name is on each board and I’m responsible for It”

Just cause brewer does it doesn’t mean it’s a good business model.

Like I said. If this shaper or Glasser got burned on a 1600 dollar job they’d be pretty bummed too.

Money doesn’t grow on trees. Living in Hawaii hard enough. Harder when you get burned like that.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Would there be an ERBBer anywhere near you that
A: Could reglass it for you?
B: Be willing to re-glass it for you for good karmic points/beer/sexual favours?
I dunno

I’m in Rhode Island. I’ve emailed a ton of people and everyone said no can.

I bought this last fall when I was still in Hawaii with the intention of getting something shaped for cold water and heavy wetsuit

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
check with brian at greenlight surf supply in New Jersey
he might know some folks up your way
I met some hard core surfers at a company we used whose headquarter's was in Portsmouth NH. They said there's a big population of surfers up there don't know how many of them are builders.

What about Grain aren't they in York, Maine?
They might have some contacts of builders that went through their classes.
I almost flew up there for one their classes a decade or so ago.
Before the Grain duo broke up.
I have a bunch of their skeleton templates, just never felt the need to make a hollow.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I never went that route before because I don't trust it

Pretty bad its that way isnt it .
I learned after my first "custom" board that plenty of so called "surfers" are snakes that will do anything to screw others out of their money.

Brewer probably does it for the exact reason I mentioned. To remove any exposure to risk and get money for less work. I just don't see how anyone who uses this method could claim they care about the finished product.

I'm sure every poster on this forum has been burned or knows someone that got burned on a custom.

What is sad is people will recommend a glass shop that has known issues.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: bluemarlin04

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I learned after my first "custom" board that plenty of so called "surfers" are snakes that will do anything to screw others out of their money.

Brewer probably does it for the exact reason I mentioned. To remove any exposure to risk and get money for less work. I just don't see how anyone who uses this method could claim they care about the finished product.

I'm sure every poster on this forum has been burned or knows someone that got burned on a custom.

What is sad is people will recommend a glass shop that has known issues.
You would be "Labeled" by some here and in the "Industry" as" Hard to Deal With" not being " Torlerant" as one of my shaper freinds put it , not being content with constant QC problems , Or "Suprises" on each batch ;-).

Many Glassers have upgraded - evolved- since I left there doing Really great work . Really nice stuff -

This same glass shop is one of them , doing boards your all raving about

This not a defence of what happened , just another response to whats said here .

Last edited:
Reactions: sozzle

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
My friend actually just picked up 3 boards from a different glass shop but same side of the island.

Looked at the boards and the bottom was sanded down to the foam. Put his thumb on it and it punched a hole into the foam.

I’m sure the glass shop that did my job is fine or does good work occasionally.

But here is my issue

1- I got charged a ridiculous amount cause I’m not in whole sale pricing. 800 for glass is ridiculous. There is no justifying that.

2- The job was messed up and done poorly.

3- now I’m stuck with this and there is no way they can fix it Cause I bought the board and moved.

4- my family owns a business and if this happened we would refund full price immediately in addition to asking to fix it. Because our reputation is very important. This glass shop won’t do that cause I was a one off customer and barely touch their bottom line.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I’m not sure the board is actually salvageable.

the entire deck has delam spots all over it.

I can push the deck down about an inch in a bunch of spots.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Update:

Talked to three shops in the area Yesterday during this.

2 said that it is way too much to work to even try. They said cutting out the delam spots on the deck and then re sanding and doing the bottom and patching the deck would be very expensive.

1 of them also said it would take at least 6-7 months of the board drying out for them to even feel comfortable doing it because they think there is a ton of water in it.

The other shop said don’t even bother. Once EPS gets too Saturated it isn’t at all salvageable.

So I dunno. Guess I’ll go shop for a board up here. I don’t got time to let it sit around.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
" This glass shop won’t do that cause I was a one off customer and barely touch their bottom line. "

They had a policy - once you take the board out of the shop its your responsibilty

A shaper freind who shaped there at their previous shop used to laugh at this .

That policy was for everyone at that time .

I had lots of problems there and moving on is all you can do .

If your board is crushed an inch , just move on

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
My friend actually just picked up 3 boards from a different glass shop but same side of the island.

Looked at the boards and the bottom was sanded down to the foam. Put his thumb on it and it punched a hole into the foam.

I’m sure the glass shop that did my job is fine or does good work occasionally.

But here is my issue

1- I got charged a ridiculous amount cause I’m not in whole sale pricing. 800 for glass is ridiculous. There is no justifying that.

2- The job was messed up and done poorly.

3- now I’m stuck with this and there is no way they can fix it Cause I bought the board and moved.

4- my family owns a business and if this happened we would refund full price immediately in addition to asking to fix it. Because our reputation is very important. This glass shop won’t do that cause I was a one off customer and barely touch their bottom line.
Sorry to hear you getting burned by an Oahu shaper and glasser.

I must be really lucky cause all my years of getting custom boards I’ve never had anything like that happen to me. I’ve had boards that dented easily and boards which came out too heavy but nothing like that. I’ve also stopped getting eps/epoxy a few years ago because of the nightmare getting a ding caused. Having to let a board dry out for a month before patching was too much. Too bad Petey moved to Indo or I would’ve liked to try XTR.

A few friends get blanks from Jason Kashiwai, Tokoro and my friend Stu shapes his own. Then gets Alvin Sumida to glass them. But they have a long relationship with Alvin and the shapers trust him. Most shapers I’ve gotten boards from want to hand a finished board to me so they can check to see it was glassed properly. But I haven’t gotten boards from anyone but Wade and Kerry Tokoro for a few years. And if something like that happened to one of their boards I’m sure they’d replace it no additional charge.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Sorry to hear you getting burned by an Oahu shaper and glasser.

I must be really lucky cause all my years of getting custom boards I’ve never had anything like that happen to me. I’ve had boards that dented easily and boards which came out too heavy but nothing like that. I’ve also stopped getting eps/epoxy a few years ago because of the nightmare getting a ding caused. Having to let a board dry out for a month before patching was too much. Too bad Petey moved to Indo or I would’ve liked to try XTR.

A few friends get blanks from Jason Kashiwai, Tokoro and my friend Stu shapes his own. Then gets Alvin Sumida to glass them. But they have a long relationship with Alvin and the shapers trust him. Most shapers I’ve gotten boards from want to hand a finished board to me so they can check to see it was glassed properly. But I haven’t gotten boards from anyone but Wade and Kerry Tokoro for a few years. And if something like that happened to one of their boards I’m sure they’d replace it no additional charge.
Yea. It sucks. Lived Hawaii my whole life and try support the local surf industry rather then get boards overseas and this what I’m left with.

Yea I am prob going to stop EPS after this unless it comes from the Stretch factory. They seem to know the construction well

I was really hesitant to go this route too but looks like I’m SOL now.

Shaper offered to shape me a new board. Which is nice of him.

But then I’d still be out of pocket to glass which I don’t have money for right now and on top of that I’m 3000 miles away until the fall.

Reactions: teeroi

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
One last Hail Mary may be trying department of commerce and consumer affairs. Wouldn't hurt to try.

The cash only with no invoice thing is complete and utter bullshit.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
In Hawaii? They won’t do anything.

Bum deal. Never again.

Sucks cause I really liked the board

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'd take the shaper up on that offer, even if it's sometime in the future when you're back in Hawaii.

Just go get it glassed somewhere else.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I'd take the shaper up on that offer, even if it's sometime in the future when you're back in Hawaii.

Just go get it glassed somewhere else.
Yea I might do that

Just went and took a look before I drive it to the dumpster.

Here’s some pics. The bottom of it where the water seeped out is basically super soft now. I can push my thumb into it and dent it.

The deck has air bubbles all over it.

There’s little bubbles all over it now.