Re-opening schools in the fall....

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
We don't have to close down the public school campuses in order to get a better return from them. All we need to do is convert the facilities from being daytime incarceration centers into being an all-volunteer student body. Put the basic education materials online at govt expense for the masses, and reserve the physical facilities as an opt-in enhancement. The students and/or their parents have to choose for the kid to be there. The kid has to conform to the expectations for conduct in order to stay, or they're out. The teachers will bend over backwards for a kid whose conduct is acceptable but is struggling academically. It's immoral to allow a kid to LARP as a prison convict on the one hand and expect to be treated the same as the kids who are conforming to the code of conduct.

One facet about our education system that I seldom see people comment on are the non-academic elements. Part of the job description for a student is to become acclimated to the expectations that they'll be where they're supposed to be when they're supposed to be there; they'll do what they're supposed to do even if they don't enjoy it or find it stimulating, and they'll get along with everyone else there even if they don't like each other.

The fixation on test scores to the exclusion of all the other elements of our education system is not working. Stop wasting resources on the unwilling. If they reform themselves later on then all the resources remain open to them, so we're not refusing them any opportunities.

Let the failures fail. They're going to do it anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Distance learning lol

So fvckin dumb..

Are parents willing to accept their kid's education being flushed down the toilet like this?

And for those parents who work?

This sh!t is putting at risk kids even more at risk.
lve heard people starting to talk about moving their families to where they think schools will reopen in the fall if the parents are working remotely

seems a bit extreme to me but some are pretty concerned about the lack of schooling

Reactions: afoaf

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
lve heard people starting to talk about moving their families to where they think schools will reopen in the fall if the parents are working remotely

seems a bit extreme to me but some are pretty concerned about the lack of schooling
My wife and I have talked about the same thing. Realistically, California is not going to get better even if this COVID madness goes away at some point. It takes a lot of money to live here for very little return from the state's bureaucracies and a lot of meddling.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
My wife and I have talked about the same thing. Realistically, California is not going to get better even if this COVID madness goes away at some point. It takes a lot of money to live here for very little return from the state's bureaucracies and a lot of meddling.
Hit the road. Reverse Oakie action. Back t' where y'all cum frum.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Schools are scared of lawsuits.

The admins that can run things during good times are usually not what you need for a catastrophe.

We are seeing that now.

At my sisters' school district, the pyscopath school superintendent who has ruined a good district for his own gains is retiring.

This is a good thing.

I wouldn't want to be his replacement.

100% liablity based thinking

good news i will be teaching ESL for my school while surfing in Indo - victory

Reactions: Autoprax

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Something like 75% of California 8th graders can't read proficiently. Our public school system is just a lot of good money after bad. There are probably ways to fix it but we're not going to. Shut the whole thing down. While we're at it, shut down the fire departments and police departments. We just can't afford all this in the "New Normal" and then I won't have to hear about the need for new bond measures for "schools" (pensions) and "roads" (pensions) and "police" (pensions) and "firefighting" (pensions) every election cycle nor will the government be able to threaten me with the lack thereof.
sounds like a good idea but lets keep the firefighters around...

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

My wife has family in Iowa. We are ready to send the boy for a semester if there’s no wrestling season here.

It’s entirely up to him but he seems game.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
My wife has family in Iowa. We are ready to send the boy for a semester if there’s no wrestling season here.

It’s entirely up to him but he seems game.
Anytime families are looking to leave, your society is circling the drain. Almost every philosopher of every religion and tradition has agreed that family is the building block of society.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Anytime families are looking to leave, your society is circling the drain. Almost every philosopher of every religion and tradition has agreed that family is the building block of society.
Circling the drain?

CA is in the P-trap.

Reactions: PRCD